Suggestions for Chania (Souda), Crete

martyap

We are porting off the Odyssey of the Seas from 7am to 3pm. Just starting to do research as this is for September, 2023. I’m guessing from the itinerary I just received that we “dock” by Souda Bay which I believe is a short distance from the town of Chania. Do most ships dock or tender? Is this an easy DIY port? Shuttle bus to Chania? Any help or advice would be appreciated……thanks

We docked in Souda.  There was a shuttle bus provided by the locals.  Bought a round trip ticket at a little tent they set up for a nominal amount of euros.  It dropped off and picked up in Chania near the market house.  Easy to explore the town from there.  Easy and relaxing day.  Some shoppes, cafes, marina, etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Chania in mid May on Oceania. Yes, you dock in Souda Bay at the ferry port a little north of the city.  We and another ship docked there, so probably you will too.  There was a shuttle from right outside port to the market, as described above.  If you look on a map you'll likely see where the market is - large enclosed building, but closed for reconstruction when we were there.  From there you can walk down to the waterfront, passing some shops (closed when we were there, which was a Sunday). When shuttle drops you (free for us, but 5 euros roundtrip (I think, or maybe $5, for the other ship) you will just go to main street there, turn left, and then right on cross street to head to the water.  But you may want to check a map to make sure I remember things correctly!  I went to the right and down, as I wanted to end up on the side of the waterfront that has the breakwater out to the charming lighthouse.  I ended up at the other end of the waterfront, so walked back a different way - one that brought me back via a shopping street.  There was a big map thingy posted so you could get your bearings, but I just set out to take my chances at getting where I wanted to get.  And on the breakwater, if you go at least 5 minutes or so, you may see the mountains behind the town - with snow on them in May!

I enjoyed just exploring Chania.  It's a very pretty city.  To go back to the shuttle stop, I'd suggest downloading a Chania map from maps.me before you leave home.  Once in Chania, assuming you have gps in your cell phone, you'll be able to pull up the map without wifi and see where you are, and where you want to be. Back to the shuttle stop location was a little confusing after I roamed around quite a bit along the waterfront and in the "Splantzia" district and more.  Back at the stop, I had to wait maybe 5-10 minutes before a bus for the port, an Oceania-bound bus, appeared.  If I had taken the one that came first, I suppose they may have asked for my ticket, as I was on the other cruise line. But the port is the port - so each bus was no doubt going same place.  I think it was around a 15 minute ride from Chania to Souda port.

There are other things to do and see in that area like monasteries and a beautiful Greek (National?) cemetery, or the nearby city of Rethymno, with another lighthouse, and a bus from Chania.  But I happily spent the morning, and then a couple hours after lunch, in Chania.  In addition to maps.me, you may want to google the website of the segway operator in Chania.  It was a helpful website, though the segway excursion was not available Sunday, so we couldn't take it.  Also, if you go off on your own (to shuttle and town) and you leave by noon, it's possible there will be a tourist info person with maps stationed at the port.  Someone was there until 12.30 when we were there, with a great map for people to grab, but I don't know if the person comes for all cruise ships or just when asked.  (Oceania usually arranges that service if it's available.)

Whatever you do, hope you enjoy Chania.  I found it to be a wonderful place to explore and take pictures.  My pictures are in a photo gallery here if interested, but you'll have to find the Chania gallery:www.pbase.com/roothy123

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

I didn't really do a snip very well, as I probably cut off the most important part of the map in order to show where shuttle dropped us.  But at very bottom, you'll see mentions of taxi and buses below the "Agora" (market) I mentioned.  This will give you a good idea of the area you'll be dropped off in if you take a shuttle.  I believe Halidon or whatever it is called is the big shopping street where I ended up walking back to the main street by the Agora. And the other big street with long name (in east) was probably what I used to get down to the old warehouses along the waterfront - and remains of old town walls.  Splanzia area is charming; Topanas also worthwhile.  Cafes are along the waterfront, more to the west than east.  Hope this helps.

chania map.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

There are also several museums, one of which houses a replica of a Minoan ship. 

TryTripadvisor (or others) for info on them

We explored Chania on our first visit.  It is a very pleasant town to explore.

Second time we took the public bus to Rethymno and back again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

There are also several museums, one of which houses a replica of a Minoan ship. 

TryTripadvisor (or others) for info on them

We explored Chania on our first visit.  It is a very pleasant town to explore.

Second time we took the public bus to Rethymno and back again. 

We had a holiday near Chania a few years ago and are thinking we may go on a ship's "on your own" excursion to there, (we have vast amounts of obs so may as well use it). 

Looking on Google Earth it seems much more open, so we thought likely more relaxed place - we found Chania quite closed in and busy.  Were your thoughts on Rethymnon similar to ours?  The road to Rethymnon looks fairly scenic as well.

Edited by tring

The drive to Rethymno was fairly scenic, in part as we boarded at Chania bus station and had the front seats and could look out the windscreen.

Rethymno is larger and more of a holiday resort than Chania, as it has beaches and hotels along that strip which is the modern area.  The older part of town has some sights and is definitely worth a wander. through narrow streets with many shops.  This is where we spent more of our time. It was also quite busy. The Venetian Harbour is quite attractive with a sort of  boardwalk which runs along the waters edge. There are (or were pre-pandemic) many little restaurants along the waters edge.  They were mostly fish restaurants.

We were pleased we made the effort to visit as we felt we had thoroughly explored Chania the first time.

There should be lots about Rethymno online.

Edited by edinburgher

57 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

The drive to Rethymno was fairly scenic, in part as we boarded at Chania bus station and had the front seats and could look out the windscreen.

Rethymno is larger and more of a holiday resort than Chania, as it has beaches and hotels along that strip which is the modern area.  The older part of town has some sights and is definitely worth a wander. through narrow streets with many shops.  This is where we spent more of our time. It was also quite busy. The Venetian Harbour is quite attractive with a sort of  boardwalk which runs along the waters edge. There are (or were pre-pandemic) many little restaurants along the waters edge.  They were mostly fish restaurants.

We were pleased we made the effort to visit as we felt we had thoroughly explored Chania the first time.

There should be lots about Rethymno online.

Thanks, much appreciated.  Your last comment pretty much cinches it.  After a holiday nearby with one or two days in the town, we have no real wish to return and nothing else appeals other than to stay out the ship in what we know from our previous visit, is a very scenic location.

Barbara

Edited by tring

15 hours ago, tring said:

Were your thoughts on Rethymnon similar to ours?  The road to Rethymnon looks fairly scenic as well.

Rethymnon is worth a visit. The harbor there is bigger (but truthfully less scenic) than the one at Chania. I visited the Fortezza -- a bit of a dusty climb at the top of the town; not so much to see the ruins there but for the views which were nice. What I enjoyed most was wandering the old city; very twisty-turny and every so often you come across something really interesting (like the Rimondi fountain). Also there is a small archaeological museum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rethymnon is worth a visit. The harbor there is bigger (but truthfully less scenic) than the one at Chania. I visited the Fortezza -- a bit of a dusty climb at the top of the town; not so much to see the ruins there but for the views which were nice. What I enjoyed most was wandering the old city; very twisty-turny and every so often you come across something really interesting (like the Rimondi fountain). Also there is a small archaeological museum.

Thank you very much.  Useful information which I appreciate having.