New Onward Tour Of Ship

aliaschief

12 hours ago, tgg said:

The ship looks great. We look forward to our January cruise.  I was sorry that there were no pictures of the cabins.

There are other videos on YouTube of the cabins.  Just Google/search for "YouTube Azamara Onward" and you will find other videos.    Some were done during the inaugural travel agent sailings.   

We'll be on Onward in October and I have been a bit disappointed to learn that the old wood cabinets, closets and desk from the original build were still in place, as well as the original sinks, whereas Oceania seems to have lightened up their R ship staterooms with new materials.  

4 hours ago, the mice said:

There are other videos on YouTube of the cabins.  Just Google/search for "YouTube Azamara Onward" and you will find other videos.    Some were done during the inaugural travel agent sailings.   

We'll be on Onward in October and I have been a bit disappointed to learn that the old wood cabinets, closets and desk from the original build were still in place, as well as the original sinks, whereas Oceania seems to have lightened up their R ship staterooms with new materials.  

All four Azamara ships have the old desks and wardrobes in place, or certainly they look very similar. The bedside cabinets and headboards are new-ish, from the colour scheme change a few years ago. I believe the sinks on Journey, Quest, and Pursuit are the originals, but they have had any chips or cracks repaired. I also think that there are nice metal threshold covers between the shower and the main bathroom floor still to come on Onward. We were on one of the other ships when they were installing them.

I prefer Azamara's classical nautical decor to Oceania's IKEA look.  Nothing wrong with Oceania's decor, but every ship lately looks exactly the same [Viking of course; Celebrity; etc.]  

In fact I most prefer the Gen 1 Renaissance ships that Noble Caledonia still sails, with even darker, shinier wood finishes – it really takes me back to the golden age of ocean liners!

269973741_ScreenShot2022-07-16at9_26_29PM.thumb.png.aabbeac17523d33b1ef5db5a252799c3.png

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I prefer Azamara's classical nautical decor to Oceania's IKEA look.  Nothing wrong with Oceania's decor, but every ship lately looks exactly the same [Viking of course; Celebrity; etc.]  

In fact I most prefer the Gen 1 Renaissance ships that Noble Caledonia still sails, with even darker, shinier wood finishes – it really takes me back to the golden age of ocean liners!

269973741_ScreenShot2022-07-16at9_26_29PM.thumb.png.aabbeac17523d33b1ef5db5a252799c3.png

I think most people are unaware of the very small Renaissance ships that were identified with Roman numerals. This description from Cruise Industry News gives the details:

"Eight small upscale ships were built for the first and original version of Renaissance Cruises. The 114-passenger ships were launched from 1989 through the early 1990s.

The ships were simply named with roman numerals, going from Renaissance I to VIII, and with the first edition of the company going bankrupt not long after, the ships were literally scattered throughout the world and have been moving around ever since."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tgg said:

I think most people are unaware of the very small Renaissance ships that were identified with Roman numerals.

Right!  When people talk about how they love the 'small ships' of Azamara, I have to laugh.  Small Ships to me are these 114 passenger beauties that can dock right downtown in almost any port.  And since they still built ships to last back then, they have been maintained beautifully.  [Of course, the downside is that the dis-economies of scale that make Azamara pricey mean that Noble Caledonia is even more so.  But for destination-immersive, they can't be beat.]

It looks good and I’m looking forward to my mid Jan cruise.

it is after all an old ship that has been refurbished not glossy new one. I am not keen on the dark wood gentleman’s club look I prefer more contemporary finishes, however as long as it’s clean , great service and food, and I’m throughly looked after, then I’m sure I can live with the dark wood 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1