QM2 or QV Norway

Lilly57

Trying to decide which ship to choose for Norwegian cruise, both itineraries very similar few weeks apart.  We have sailed on QV and QE in the past.  Would be grateful for any thoughts on which you would choose and why.  Thanks

I love the QM2 and heartily agree it is well worth a try given you have already sailed on QV and QE. The only reservation I have about that recommendation is that QV is offering itineraries which include Geiranger while QM2 is not. @Lilly57, you mentioned you were looking at similar itineraries for QM2 and QV but if the QV itinerary includes Geiranger and you haven't visited there yet, that could sway my opinion.

Also it may be worth mentioning QM2 had to cancel a call at Flaam last month over an environmental issue with the Norwegian authorities relating to fjords near Flaam being a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Flaam remains on future itineraries for QM2 so let's hope that was just a one off issue.

I guess it depends how much you cruise for the ports or the ship. If the ship is just a means of getting you to particular ports then QV will be fine. If you want to experience a different ship then it will have to be QM2.

I'm sure you will have a good time whichever you choose.

20 hours ago, Lilly57 said:

Trying to decide which ship to choose for Norwegian cruise, both itineraries very similar few weeks apart.  We have sailed on QV and QE in the past.  Would be grateful for any thoughts on which you would choose and why.  Thanks

Hi, all other things being equal(ish) ie. itinerary / cabin choice / price, I would say there is something rather special about sailing up the Fjords on the QM2. 

She’s such an imposing ship and amongst the also imposing mountains and scenery….she just seems right at home. 🙂

If you are booking a Grill Cabin, then you would have a better experience on the Victoria.   The restaurants are in a better area and also have some outdoor dining.   The Grill Terrace on the Victoria is wonderful and a great place to enjoy the scenery.   The Grill Lounge is also much nicer on the Victoria.   I love the QM2 for the ship but she has shortcomings for Grill passengers.