Upgrade offers

janroatan

3 minutes ago, janroatan said:

Does Princess have Upgrade offers closer to sailing date?

If so , are they good value?

I've gotten upsell offers (pay more for the better cabin) and upgrades (what they think is a better cabin at no extra cost). I've never done an upsell, since the ones I've gotten weren't of value to me. I choose cabins carefully, so a better category cabin isn't usually anything I'd pay for. The last time I got a free upgrade, it was one I actively didn't like. I was able to get that rolled back. Usually, I have bookings marked no upgrade, but for some reason I hadn't done that on the booking that got upgraded.

2 minutes ago, janroatan said:

What was it about the free upgrade you didn,t like ?

We like as far forward and as high up in the ship as we can get. The free upgrade moved us from that to midship. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

We like as far forward

Not a criticism or anything like that, but I am intrigued by why you want to be as far forward as possible. 

The last time we had a forward cabin, we must have walked miles to the buffet and back. Good exercise I know, but I personally would not choose a forward balcony again.

8 minutes ago, Billish said:

Not a criticism or anything like that, but I am intrigued by why you want to be as far forward as possible. 

The last time we had a forward cabin, we must have walked miles to the buffet and back. Good exercise I know, but I personally would not choose a forward balcony again.

I know I prefer being high up aft or forward so that I can feel the ship's motion more.  This is one of the reasons, among many, to book either aft or forward.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

I know I prefer being high up aft or forward so that I can feel the ship's motion more.  This is one of the reasons, among many, to book either aft or forward.  

I agree, I quite like to feel a bit of motion, although when we sailed from Lisbon back to Southampton in a force 10 for three days, I was quite pleased to be mid-ships !

While on Discovery we went up to the gym (Deck 17 aft) when the ship was pitching and rolling.  Could hardly walk in a straight line.  I would of swore I was uber drunk if it wasn't 9:30AM in the morning.

24 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

We know a couple who also like those cabins. While sailing with them we were invited to "check out" the place. It was so close to the bridge you could see into the bridge wing from their balcony. They had made a sign that the placed on their balcony. It said "We want to see whales". Then, taped to the window of the bridge wing was a piece of paper with a hand-drawn picture of a couple of whales. Hilarious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We like the mini suites on Lido deck forward.  We don’t have an issue with motion, but I understand that it’s problematic for some.

During the force 10 I referred to earlier, you physically could not have a shower, due to movement of the ship !

1 hour ago, Billish said:

We like the motion, and we don't mind the walk. Ten years or so from now, when we're in our eighties, we just might mind the walk. 😃

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Billish said:

During the force 10 I referred to earlier, you physically could not have a shower, due to movement of the ship !

Taking a shower would not be on the top of my list, for sure.  On a Celebrity ship in 2019, we had to miss our excursion the next day in Provence because of hurricane force winds.  We were in the most forward cabin on the highest deck and it was quite the ride.  However, this is rare and we keep booking these forward cabins and look forward to our next one on Regal Princess.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Taking a shower would not be on the top of my list, for sure.  On a Celebrity ship in 2019, we had to miss our excursion the next day in Provence because of hurricane force winds.  We were in the most forward cabin on the highest deck and it was quite the ride.  However, this is rare and we keep booking these forward cabins and look forward to our next one on Regal Princess.  

No shower for three consecutive days ! 

At least the MDR was almost empty, so personal hygiene was not an issue. 

The ship arrived 12 hours late due to the adverse weather conditions.

5 hours ago, Billish said:

But being forward means you are closer to half the ship, just like being aft means you are closer to half the ship. It's different halves, but both require a person to walk the length of the ship occasionally - the aft to the theatre, the bow to the buffet. Midships require a similar amount of walking, but sometimes forward and sometimes aft. Unless a person stays in one spot the entire cruise, no cabin is close to everything. 

We also prefer to be near the front of the ship, both for the motion, which we like to fall asleep to, and the wonderful sounds of the waves crashing against the bow of the ship. I never tire of that sound.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Billish said:

No shower for three consecutive days ! 

At least the MDR was almost empty, so personal hygiene was not an issue. 

The ship arrived 12 hours late due to the adverse weather conditions.

The worst lasted less than 24 hours, but we totally missed our port and did a sea day.  We didn’t attempt the MDR, but room service carried on as usual.  Everyone on our deck ordered room service and it arrived unscathed.  Gave that young man a nice tip!

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

But being forward means you are closer to half the ship, just like being aft means you are closer to half the ship. It's different halves, but both require a person to walk the length of the ship occasionally -

Yes, I totally agree. 

However, we normally have breakfast, lunch, and snacks from the buffet, so we did seem to be spending a lot of time walking to the buffet and back.

And, sometimes I would bring my wife pastries etc from the buffet for her breakfast if she felt like eating on the balcony, so that would require me walking to the buffet and back twice. Once to bring breakfast for her,  and then again for my  cooked breakfast. 

4 minutes ago, Billish said:

Yes, I totally agree. 

However, we normally have breakfast, lunch, and snacks from the buffet, so we did seem to be spending a lot of time walking to the buffet and back.

And, sometimes I would bring my wife pastries etc from the buffet for her breakfast if she felt like eating on the balcony, so that would require me walking to the buffet and back twice. Once to bring breakfast for her,  and then again for my  cooked breakfast. 

On Princess ships, there is the International Café midships in the Piazza. That is where I go for snacks (AKA: medical treatments for my sweet tooth). 😁

8 minutes ago, PTMary said:

On Princess ships, there is the International Café midships in the Piazza. That is where I go for snacks (AKA: medical treatments for my sweet tooth). 😁

But the IC is down 10 decks or so, and has less choice than the buffet, so not an option for breakfast for my DW.

I have received upsell offers and free upgrades. For my cruise in February, I was upgraded from a guarantee Cat. BF (the lowest balcony category) into a deluxe balcony cabin. It was great to have the extra space and the loveseat, and I loved the view of the wake.

In August, I received an upsell offer to move from an inside cabin to a balcony for $398 or to a deluxe balcony for $518. (It cost double since I was sailing solo.) It came about three weeks before the cruise. That was a 7-day cruise to Alaska on the Majestic. In 2019, we received an upsell offer to move from an inside cabin to a balcony on a 16-day transatlantic for $1,099 per person. That one came two and a half months before the cruise. I turned both of those down.

The only upsell offer I've taken was to move from a balcony cabin to a full suite on a 10-day cruise for $699 per person in 2017. That was too good an offer for me to pass up, especially since I had paid a great rate on the balcony initially. That offer came five days before sailing.

I’ve taken a couple of upsell offers, have had a move over offer and a couple of free upgrades, all of which were fantastic.  With the upsells, we were able to choose our room, same with the move over offer.  Of the free upgrades, one was to a full aft facing suite from a balcony cabin.  Wow! Just wow!  We’ve been happy with all upgrades and upsells we were given but I think the key is to be able to choose the room location.  

On 7/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, Billish said:

I agree, I quite like to feel a bit of motion, although when we sailed from Lisbon back to Southampton in a force 10 for three days, I was quite pleased to be mid-ships !

I'm sure you were!  I wish I had been there!