What did you do in Puerto Plata, DR?

mafig

It's a multi-phase building operation, and has only finished the first stage.  It is reminiscent of Costa Maya, but this first phase is cleaner and spread out a bit more.  There is a nice sandy area looking out at the ships and ocean like Costa Maya, and a scenic area to walk around in with each vendor having a large individual building/structure.  It is a bit of a walk to leave the complex, and having a local walk you to town is recommended.  People who have gone into the village haven't reported much excitement.  Sales people in the complex were friendly and not really into hounding you to buy things.

• Like 1

The 27 (Damajagua) Waterfalls is one of the best excursions we have done in 30+ years of cruising. We used Marysol Tours, but Iguana Mama gets good ratings also. If you don’t have mobility issues, and can walk 45 min or so, much of it uphill, in the jungle, I highly recommend it. 

Here are a couple of videos so you know what to expect: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I was looking at a cable car tour to the top of a mountain, with a Christ statue on top.  Wondering if anyone had done that (or gone to the top of the mountain via taxi).

We did a Carnival excursion this past June that went to the Isabel De Torres National Park where the Christ statue is located and the historic district of Puerto Plata, no cable car running that day. The ride to/from is twisty and bumpy but worth it imo. Let me just say to avoid the "official" picture takers at the Christ statue, they want to herd you into the building to buy their gringo priced souvenirs after snapping various poses. I just handed the guy a $5 bill and walked off. 

58 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

The 27 (Damajagua) Waterfalls

I 2nd the waterfalls excursions (there are many versions of them). I just did this in May. You can opt to zip line or ride an ATV with fewer falls or do the 7 main falls. I found the agents outside the port gates to be very helpful, of course we were already booked so no selling opportunity. They were very good at pointing you to the right outfit. We went with Iguana Mama as well and it was very professional.

We did a city tour with Iguana Mama.  I would highly recommended it.

we went up to the Christ statue, cigar making demonstration, rum tasting, etc.  A very good lunch was included.

Mike

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:34 PM, HxFx said:

I 2nd the waterfalls excursions (there are many versions of them). I just did this in May. You can opt to zip line or ride an ATV with fewer falls or do the 7 main falls. I found the agents outside the port gates to be very helpful, of course we were already booked so no selling opportunity. They were very good at pointing you to the right outfit. We went with Iguana Mama as well and it was very professional.

Only 7 falls open as of July 7 per Iguana Mamas website.  Very disappointing!

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

Only 7 falls open as of July 7 per Iguana Mamas website.  Very disappointing!

This tends to happen in the summer when water levels are low. They only do those that have enough depth in the pools to be safe. It’s still a good excursion, especially if you do the 7 Waterfalls and Zipline Combination.

52 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

This tends to happen in the summer when water levels are low. They only do those that have enough depth in the pools to be safe. It’s still a good excursion, especially if you do the 7 Waterfalls and Zipline Combination.

Ok..Ive never done  it  so had no clue

40 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Looks like  MSC  docks at  Taino Bay not Amber Cove.

Yes. The ports are about 6 miles apart, with Taino Bay being closer to Puerto Plata. The excursions, other than what is inside each port area, will primarily be the same options.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 1:16 PM, cruisinhawks said:

We rented a driver for the entire day.  There were 4 of us @$30 each.  Did some shopping some sight seeing and then had him take us to the nice beaches of Sosua to spend a few hours.

Did you have this scheduled before the cruise or did you just get off the ship and find someone to take you? There are 6 of us going in October and are trying to decide what to do. Thanks!