Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

friendlyfifer

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

We used Apple AirTags in our TA in March. My husband kept getting notifications on his phone “Dave’s luggage last seen in the middle of the Atlantic”!. LOL.😂

OMG, did his bag  ever get out of the middle of the Atlantic?  

8 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I always envy those of you who can just do a carry-on. When you have size 13 shoes and need to have more than one pair with you it just isn't possible. One pair of my shoes takes up half of a carry-on. I would love to just take that. We try and get around it by only flying non-stop and checking Apple AirTags before and after the flght. 

😩🦶yikes, I understand. My husband wears size 11 and complains about the space his shoes take up in luggage.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, duquephart said:

Schipol is just to damn big and should be avoided if possible. My connecting flight always seems to be at the other end.

My advice is "Do not go via Schipol".  I cannot understand why carryon would make the experience there much better.  OK check in would not be as difficult, but the long lines were for Security as there were about one third the staff available.  I had assistance (wheelchair) at Schipol on 12th July but the lines were 2 + hours long and many flights were missed.   This was the most stressful airport experience I have ever had and I and my husband had special treatment.     As someone on here has said Schipol. is just too big.. J

3 hours ago, Jay23 said:

My advice is "Do not go via Schipol".  I cannot understand why carryon would make the experience there much better.  OK check in would not be as difficult, but the long lines were for Security as there were about one third the staff available.  I had assistance (wheelchair) at Schipol on 12th July but the lines were 2 + hours long and many flights were missed.   This was the most stressful airport experience I have ever had and I and my husband had special treatment.     As someone on here has said Schipol. is just too big.. J

I think it is a different experience for different people and luck is involved. Schiphol is huge; that is why so many connections are booked through there. Once you understand the layout and that you have to go through passport control to connect with your US/Canada bound flight, it makes sense. Look at a map of the airport before you fly; it helps to understand the layout and then cross your fingers for a short passport line (as we had).  We flew Delta/KLM and were able to relax in the KLM lounge after passport control before our US bound flight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, Heidi13 said:

How was the town last week for The Open Championship - did you manage to get any tickets.

Brought back some great memories watching it on the telly, especially when they showed a shot of the Jigger Inn.

Sorry to take so long to respond. We are just off the Viking Mars. St Andrews was mobbed for the Open and in the middle of a heatwave. We had family staying for the entire week . They had tickets but we watched it on the television.
Many Americans had not packed for hot weather so the shops were busy. Also some came via Heathrow but unfortunately their checked luggage didn’t travel with them.

a great week and we now have to wait until 2030 to repeat it.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 11:53 PM, Azulann said:

Please report back on your flight and luggage  to get to Stockholm.

Have a wonderful cruise , once on board you can relax! 

Check-in in Edinburgh was extremely busy and took well over an hour. Security was busy but the queue was moving. The plane was about 30 minutes late in departing. At Schiphol we had to have our UK passports stamped even although we were transit passengers. There was an enormous queue but we were fast tracked through when the departure time of our next flight got closer. Viking were there to meet us in Stockholm and thankfully our luggage was there on the belt. Like many passengers on the Mars, we had Apple tags in our luggage so could see where it was. 

We had a lovely cruise, meeting new friends and well know crew members.

• Thanks 1