Yipee! we got cruise covid...

barely

7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

My wife and I have talked about this.  We got Omicron in early May and by time frames can now get our 4th booster. We chatted about getting it VS waiting for a variant one. We have decided to get the regular booster and are booked for next week.  Since the wait time is 5/6 months between doses we figure it will be December when we are eligible for the next one if needed. 

If a variant shot becomes available this fall, we wont be eligible for some time because we are 50 and 46. There are many other age groups and demographics that will be able to have access before us.  At that rate, we decided to go with the current booster for the original Covid and take the extra coverage.  If needed we will get the variant one when we are eligible late in the year. 

We are cruising in November.  Caught Covid in May, am double vax and 1st booster.  The symptoms for me were sore throat, cough (severe for a day and a half) which lingered for weeks, no fever, but my hubby had a fever and a lesser cough when he got it a few days after me.  We live in Vancouver but are waiting for the 4th shot til the updated vaccines are available.  We can request the shot now but will wait.

Interestingly, When we returned from our cruise near the end of January 2020 just before Covid was a global pandemic we had pretty well the exact same symptoms.  We likely had it then too. 

Edited by kdkstormy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

My wife and I have talked about this.  We got Omicron in early May and by time frames can now get our 4th booster. We chatted about getting it VS waiting for a variant one. We have decided to get the regular booster and are booked for next week.  Since the wait time is 5/6 months between doses we figure it will be December when we are eligible for the next one if needed. 

If a variant shot becomes available this fall, we wont be eligible for some time because we are 50 and 46. There are many other age groups and demographics that will be able to have access before us.  At that rate, we decided to go with the current booster for the original Covid and take the extra coverage.  If needed we will get the variant one when we are eligible late in the year. 

DH and I haven't had the second booster, but did have Covid the end of May/beginning of June as well. We had no conclusive symptoms and when DH tested positive, we were shocked. We will get our 2nd booster early September and cross our fingers that our October Rotterdam cruise will not be cancelled the way our end of May Koningsdam had to be. The variant booster will need to wait because we aren't willing to forego what will be available early September.

• 2 weeks later...

Husband and I disembarked from our honeymoon cruise on Carnival Monday - I tested positive Wednesday. He is still negative miraculously. We had gotten our fourth booster a week before we left.

I very much expected this happening - Covid here at home (Ontario) was creeping closer to us as it was. While it hasn’t been pleasant (ran fever, sore throat and stuffy nose) I’m very lucky that it isn’t much worse than this. Doesn’t turn me off cruising anyway and can’t wait to go again in December

Edited by darkblueerin

Am quad vaxxed. Went on a 7 day round-trip cruise to Alaska on Zuiderdam from Vancouver in June. Ship about 60% full. (1150/1900). Wore a mask (recommended!) about 50% of the time but not when eating, drinking or playing trivia. Got home feeling fine. The next day showed mild symptoms – slight fever (37.8), nasal drip, dry cough, slightly achy limbs, mild lower back ache. Tested positive. The mild symptoms went away after a couple of days and thereafter I felt fine but did not test negative again for nine days. Have booked to repeat the cruise next month! 🙂 Should have more antibodies this time!

13 hours ago, Halfan5 said:

Am quad vaxxed. Went on a 7 day round-trip cruise to Alaska on Zuiderdam from Vancouver in June. Ship about 60% full. (1150/1900). Wore a mask (recommended!) about 50% of the time but not when eating, drinking or playing trivia. Got home feeling fine. The next day showed mild symptoms – slight fever (37.8), nasal drip, dry cough, slightly achy limbs, mild lower back ache. Tested positive. The mild symptoms went away after a couple of days and thereafter I felt fine but did not test negative again for nine days. Have booked to repeat the cruise next month! 🙂 Should have more antibodies this time!

HAL's new marketing slogan;

Sail with us - more fun, more drinks, more antibodies!

😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 6

On 7/23/2022 at 11:04 AM, barely said:

No not hospital serious.. but It is more unpleasant  than any previous  Bad flu episode.. And it seemingly lingers.     Seriously annoying, as we all had survived 2+ years .. Covid free.               

Noting that All of us had 4 vaccine shots as well... presumably it could have been worse.

I have had 4 shot also so am worried about upcoming  cruise to Hawaii.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:15 AM, blizzard44ca said:

Alberta recently opened up to all over 18, but previously had exemptions available for travel, etc.  I had been considering waiting, but read an article that said that omicron boosters likely wouldn’t be available until November at the earliest, so if it’s been a long time since first booster (for me 11 months), you should go ahead and get a second booster now.
(Just got back from getting booster shot this morning. Cruising in September)

So, I did end up getting boosted last Monday-they booked me in the same day when I called and said I had travel coming up. As it happened though, DH came home from work that day with symptoms, and tested positive on Wednesday. I tested positive on Friday even after avoiding him all week. 2 1/2 years we have been Covid free, and  now it finally got us. This BA5 variant is SO contagious. Fingers crossed that we will be negative in time for our upcoming cruise.

• Like 1