solo dining for dinner in MDR on non-studio ship (with COVID waning....)

greg_atlanta

I'm booked solo on Spirit - Alaska - Sept 21, 2022 - 11 nights.  I've only done one NCL cruise before on Pearl in 2012 with friends, and I remember dining room setup being geared towards smaller tables.  I also found some older posts on the topic which seem to confirm solo dining in MDR for dinner is awkward.  I prefer not to eat alone for dinner -- but don't care about breakfast/lunch (usually do buffet quickly).  Prefer to have a late dinner.  (Often get a early snack from dinner buffet if I'm hungry!). 

I do plan to take advantage of any available meet-and-greets for solo cruisers, friends of dorothy, etc. -- and may do Teppanyaki one night (which is solo friendly).

But...  if don't have prior plans and show up to dinner by myself as the "everyone eats at 7:45" crowd is winding down and hope to be seated with others, is that a lost cause?  Will host/hostess treat me like a homeless person?  Are people extra freaky now with COVID still lingering?  

Just wondering if anything has changed.....

I’ve sailed solo often and have not been treated any differently when heading to the dining rooms. I sometimes get a little more attention being solo. Ask for a two top if you haven’t found anyone to have dinner with and if you feel funny about them clearing the second setting when dining alone the ask them to leave it. Also ask for a window seat, if one is available. This way you aren’t in the middle of a big room feeling like everyone is looking at you. Likely they aren’t any way. I did have one occasion when they took the chair. I felt a little funny but made sure that didn’t happen again.  Expect to be asked if you are waiting for someone. I’ve never asked to be seated with others so I am not sure if that is even an option. Enjoy your solo cruise!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, df5250 said:

I’ve sailed solo often and have not been treated any differently when heading to the dining rooms. I sometimes get a little more attention being solo. Ask for a two top if you haven’t found anyone to have dinner with and if you feel funny about them clearing the second setting when dining alone the ask them to leave it. Also ask for a window seat, if one is available. This way you aren’t in the middle of a big room feeling like everyone is looking at you. Likely they aren’t any way. I did have one occasion when they took the chair. I felt a little funny but made sure that didn’t happen again.  Expect to be asked if you are waiting for someone. I’ve never asked to be seated with others so I am not sure if that is even an option. Enjoy your solo cruise!

This is very good advice but wanted to add one thing...if you are looking to join a table already seated, you may not find a lot of options on NCL. There was recently a thread regarding this and the majority stated they would prefer to dine with their group/family and not have strangers join them. Now this might not be the case on every sailing so it never hurts to ask.  I don't have a problem eating alone in the MDR and prefer it to eating with people I have never met.  I have a book or tablet to keep me occupied between courses or just enjoy the view (this would especially be true in Alaska). Only once on the Pearl did I feel uncomfortable and that was probably more a mistaken impression on my part than a fact.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I'm going to 2nd that you won't/shouldn't feel any type of way eating solo.  I cruise solo and I've never had an issue or felt funny in any way.  that being said, please do go to the solo meetup each evening.  There is always a group going to dinner together.  The solo host reserves a table each night in one of the main dining rooms for the solo group.  I noticed you said non-studio ship in your subject.  They still have solo meetups on ships without studios/studio lounge.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, greg_atlanta said:

I'm booked solo on Spirit - Alaska - Sept 21, 2022 - 11 nights.  I've only done one NCL cruise before on Pearl in 2012 with friends, and I remember dining room setup being geared towards smaller tables.  I also found some older posts on the topic which seem to confirm solo dining in MDR for dinner is awkward.  I prefer not to eat alone for dinner -- but don't care about breakfast/lunch (usually do buffet quickly).  Prefer to have a late dinner.  (Often get a early snack from dinner buffet if I'm hungry!). 

I do plan to take advantage of any available meet-and-greets for solo cruisers, friends of dorothy, etc. -- and may do Teppanyaki one night (which is solo friendly).

But...  if don't have prior plans and show up to dinner by myself as the "everyone eats at 7:45" crowd is winding down and hope to be seated with others, is that a lost cause?  Will host/hostess treat me like a homeless person?  Are people extra freaky now with COVID still lingering?  

Just wondering if anything has changed.....

NCL crew is quite accustomed to solo diners. Don't worry! I've always had excellent service in the MDRs and specialty restaurants when dining alone, which is almost always how I dine since I'm too lazy/forgetful to attend the solo gatherings when I'm not staying in the Studio area.

But as noted, it's not likely that you'll be able to be seated with others if you just show up. If you'd prefer to not dine alone, be less lazy than me and attend the gatherings. 🙂

If you have questions about being an "independent cruiser,"  join us in the Solo Cruisers CC forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

• Like 2

Also, don't forget about the Roll Call for your sailing.

Start participating, at least reading, now.  Perhaps you'll have a suggestion... or someone else will.  Maybe you'll arrange to join a group excursion.

Go to the Meet & Greet, and if there isn't one started, either start one, or mention it ("Is anyone organizing a M&G yet?") or such.  That would be a great time... right for that first dinner, while you are there with some others.  Exchange first names, and if you don't want to ask for cabin numbers of others, perhaps mention your own?

We are ordinarily very private, but I can't think of a M&G such that once we were there with the others, we weren't very happy to give out names/numbers/etc.

We've almost always arranged at least one private excursion, and had a handful of others join us for the outing.  That's when we really learn "names"!  (I'm *terrible* with names; very awkward, always has been... 😞 )

Try to mention "dinners" to a couple of people during the M&G and give them a way to reach you.

I can't imagine having them take the other chair away. (!??)

Enjoy Alaska.  That was such a memorable cruise for us.  Will you get to Hubbard Glacier?  That was a high point of the cruise for us.

Have a great time!

GC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

This is very good advice but wanted to add one thing...if you are looking to join a table already seated, you may not find a lot of options on NCL......  I don't have a problem eating alone in the MDR and prefer it to eating with people I have never met.  I have a book or tablet to keep me occupied between courses or just enjoy the view (this would especially be true in Alaska).

Thanks, for the purpose of this discussion I prefer to dine with others in MDR for dinner since the pace of dinner is slower, and I do enjoy the ambiance of a formal sit-down dinner.  I don't have a hang-up eating by myself if needed, just awkward between courses.  I guess if I show up late they'll speed up the service since the staff doesn't want to be there all night!

On my cruise there are 3 port departures 8 pm or later, so I expect meet-and-greet attendance will be spotty.  I'll try to meet dinner buddies early in the cruise and make plans in advance!

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Enjoy Alaska.  That was such a memorable cruise for us.  Will you get to Hubbard Glacier?  That was a high point of the cruise for us.

Yep that's the 4th day of the cruise (Sept 24) and looks like we're the only ship there.  Hope the weather cooperates!

I've posted on roll call already and will try to keep up with the various group efforts.  Of course there may be a few characters to be avoided but I find most people pleasant enough!  😊

I cruise solo now and I love the choices, mostly, I choose to join the solo group, however, there are times I'd just like to be alone, so what, no worries.  I enjoy meeting others and suspect others do too. 

Come join the other solos if you want or not, it's all on you, you're welcome. 

• Like 1

I have done 3 NCL cruises and will do my 4th in January - All Solo!

And my upcoming cruise will be the first in a studio.

I have dined solo for almost every meal and have had nothing but spectacular service. Never stuck in a corner, no wired looks, just great service. If anything, I believe the staff have gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable.

I do eat a vast majority of my meals in speciality restaurants.