ponant Smithsonian vs Tauck

sunsetme

I hope somebody with more direct knowledge will chime in, but I will tell you what I know tangentially from a cruise on Ponant in a Backroads group.  We got everything the Ponant passengers got plus our own shore excursions and several private enrichment events and parties.  I think Backroads personnel would also serve as our liaison to Ponant to troubleshoot, but we didn't have any problems so couldn't verify this.

The one difference between your two options [if I understand the details correctly] is that the Tauck tour will be set up exactly like ours was, while the Smithsonian is a longterm partnership with Ponant.  That may mean the Smithsonian amenities are more smoothy integrated with the ship's [and all passengers on this sailing get them?], but probably means there is no Smithsonian liaison per se.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO, the biggest difference is the Smithsonian cruise will have speakers they organize and the Tauck cruises later that month will have something else that Ponant organizes. The Ponant speakers may be great, or they may be great in French and “can also do” English. 

All excursions are included on Smithsonian cruises. 

Smithsonian cruises are only marketed in the US and are only visible on Ponant’s English language sites. I am told that announcements are in English only. 

On the Smithsonian cruise you mention, here are the scheduled speakers:

image.thumb.png.7800d692f926333ee7549c77b5ec6df8.png

Edited by AussieBoyTX
  • Like 1