What to do in Kaikoura for the day?

We have never been to Kaikoura Kangaroo Island before.

Ā 

I was wondering for these who have been there what did you do there for the day?? and what would you recommend doing there??

Ā 

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome šŸ˜Ž

Kaikoura - whale watching and a crayfish feast

Ā 

Kangaroo Island - firstly it's bigger than you think and there is a lot to see. Look at the excursions offered by the cruise line and that will give you an idea of what's available. We stayed there for three days and still didn't see everything. Cape Willoughby lighthouse is interesting, Seal Bay and the Flinders Chase National Park make for a long day trip but well worth it. This is one place where it is probably best to do a ship's excursion.

Kaikoura, Fish & Chips at the northernmost shop, beachside of the street!

The Seagulls recommend it.

Ā 

KI, went for our honeymoon many years ago, plenty of options, depends on what you like. (Though some are a bit off due to fire damage a few years back)

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Kaikoura - whale watching and a crayfish feast

Ā 

Kangaroo Island - firstly it's bigger than you think and there is a lot to see. Look at the excursions offered by the cruise line and that will give you an idea of what's available. We stayed there for three days and still didn't see everything. Cape Willoughby lighthouse is interesting, Seal Bay and the Flinders Chase National Park make for a long day trip but well worth it. This is one place where it is probably best to do a ship's excursion.

Hi, Coming in November, 2 of us.

Do you think we need to pre book the whale watch? Or is it fine to look and book once we arrive? Only our ship scheduled in port on the day (Westerdam).

Suggestions for Gisbourne too if you have any!

Thanks (;

On 9/21/2022 at 6:49 PM, Sallyandtex said:

Hi, Coming in November, 2 of us.

Do you think we need to pre book the whale watch? Or is it fine to look and book once we arrive? Only our ship scheduled in port on the day (Westerdam).

Suggestions for Gisbourne too if you have any!

Thanks (;

I would pre-book the whale watch. It will probably be very popular and HAL are offering it as one of their excursions which may reduce capacity for private bookings.

Ā 

Sorry, can't help with Gisborne.

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 7:27 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I would pre-book the whale watch. It will probably be very popular and HAL are offering it as one of their excursions which may reduce capacity for private bookings.

Ā 

Sorry, can't help with Gisborne.

Thanks I have booked it in, fingers crossed for good weather!

How long would you think we need to factor in time wise to get to the whale watch meeting place? It's a tender port , but I am unsure on how far everything is from the boat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, Sallyandtex said:

Thanks I have booked it in, fingers crossed for good weather!

How long would you think we need to factor in time wise to get to the whale watch meeting place? It's a tender port , but I am unsure on how far everything is from the boat.

Sorry, I can't help with timing. We haven't had a port stop at Kaikoura before, we've only visited it on a land trip and that was quite a few years ago.

• Thanks 1