October Bermuda Cruise Empty?

We are interested in the October 16th Magic cruise out of New York, and we are surprised at how many rooms are still available. Is this normal for Disney cruises during the school year? It looks to be only about half full. They wouldn't cancel a half empty cruise would they? We will most likely be booking a guaranteed cabin since it seems highly likely that an upgrade will be available. 

Also, is it possible that any price drops will occur at this point?

Thanks!

They already have the reduced-price GTY rates out to entice people.  

it probably is a matter of school timing. I think the first week of November is a big week for school holidays.

It is still hurricane season.  And the water is starting to cool out in the Atlantic. We were there the first week of September - despite warm air temps, the water was on the cold side.

They still could offer the IGT, OGT and VGT rates, which could be a bit cheaper. I’ve had emails for 25% or more off December cruises already.  

12 hours ago, alohayall said:

It is still hurricane season.  And the water is starting to cool out in the Atlantic. We were there the first week of September - despite warm air temps, the water was on the cold side.

It's the very tail end of hurricane season though, and we've done cruises to Bermuda then with calm seas. We live in Norfolk and the Carnival cruise leaving out of here at the same time is sold out and it was just as expensive as the Disney cruise.

Just now, 1025cruise said:

Bermuda is probably not as much of an enticement for the littles as the Caribbean. 

It's too bad because I find it's such a safe and family friendly place! We just took our toddler there in May and it's the reason we're looking to go again so soon!

I am booked on this sailing with no kids in tow! Just myself and my sister-in-law for a quick getaway.  There is an active group on the "platform that shall not be named" with FE, magnet and ornament exchanges being organized.  October is a roll of the dice for how the weather will be to Bermuda.  I have sailed amazingly smooth seas, and been tossed around in the cool wind.  The reduced prices entice me.

It’s a slow time of year as school is back in session and people aren’t going to pull their kids out early in the year,

it’s definitely shoulder season for Bermuda. You could be lucky and have calm seas, but it is the Atlantic Ocean you are sailing, 500 miles out at sea. 
It is not uncommon to have nor’easters, tropical storms, etc. 
A few years back, people ended up going to New England instead of Bermuda,

I am sailing out of NY in late November to the Caribbean and expect some tough seas.

it’s all part of the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of quarantine decks on a Disney cruise.  

I think the cruise has a few things against it.  Kids are in school, adult cruisers tend to not have Disney on top of their list, it's not the cheapest and of course hurricane season in the Atlantic.  

We are on the Oct 26 cruise and if I booked today my price would be more.

1 hour ago, Lvspatime said:

We live in Virginia, and the comparable 4 night Bermuda Carnival cruise out of Norfolk for 3 people Ocean View was $2400. The 5 night Disney out of Manhattan is $2700. I feel like this is a great deal!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 12:26 PM, Lvspatime said:

I've never heard of quarantine decks on a Disney cruise.  

I think the cruise has a few things against it.  Kids are in school, adult cruisers tend to not have Disney on top of their list, it's not the cheapest and of course hurricane season in the Atlantic.  

We got moved on our Wonder Merrytime cruise from our selected ocean view on 2 because that area I picked was saved for quarantine. I did not like where they moved us (in relation to our adult kids) - so I upgraded to a balcony. I probably would have kept it, but my MIL was backing out of the trip, so I was already adjusting the reservation.