Have Cruise Critic roll calls died?

Shellbelle28

4 hours ago, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

I remember back in the day when someone would set up a meet and greet, slot pull, pub crawl, and cabin crawl (always good times) haven't seen that so much on my past few cruises. 

Just my two cents, but there is nothing stopping you from being that "someone" on your cruise roll call(s). As they say, let the good times roll.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SeaShark said:

CC is not going to make the change to allow that...it would only make the situation worse. Read through this thread and you see repeated mentions of the fact that people don't mingle...instead they sit with and only interact in small groups. If CC were to allow private messaging, then people would use it to ask/answer questions and seek advice...privately...where it only benefits one person instead of the whole community. Then the cliquish behavior at the M&Gs would migrate to the forums making the current situation were discussing worse.

I can see that I should probably clarify more what I meant about CC enabling member messaging. My point abot them doing that (among many other things) wouldn't be specific to the demise of meet and greets. It would contribute though more to people tiring of the overall format and limited functionality of forum software straight out of the 90's. Add in some very questionable attitudes and also very questionable policies to foster growth...and the results are people abandoning CC (in general) in droves and the cascading results of that are less interest in having/attending a Meet and Greet. 

Another problem I see with the Meet and Greet format is it can chage drastically from Cruise Line to Cruise Line and also ship to ship. Personally I have always wondered why the cruise lines themselves don't directly try and organize and run them. In the end the cruise lines should be the overall beneficiary of these meetings. If they need to carve out space on CC to do that...don't know why that would be a problem...same applies to FB groups. Here's another novel approach...maybe they could even get even more participation in both by referencing each other...or better yet actually combining them.

</the jingling of my $.02>

Edited by Red-Sol

6 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

I can see that I should probably clarify more what I meant about CC enabling member messaging. My point abot them doing that (among many other things) wouldn't be specific to the demise of meet and greets. It would contribute though more to people tiring of the overall format and limited functionality of forum software straight out of the 90's. Add in some very questionable attitudes and also very questionable policies to foster growth...and the results are people abandoning CC (in general) in droves and the cascading results of that are less interest in having/attending a Meet and Greet. 

Another problem I see with the Meet and Greet format is it can chage drastically from Cruise Line to Cruise Line and also ship to ship. Personally I have always wondered why the cruise lines themselves don't directly try and organize and run them. In the end the cruise lines should be the overall beneficiary of these meetings. If they need to carve out space on CC to do that...don't know why that would be a problem...same applies to FB groups. Here's another novel approach...maybe they could even get even more participation in both by referencing each other...or better yet actually combining them.

</the jingling of my $.02>

Yet, you have to realize that enabling private and off-line conversations (ie "messaging") would make the site virtually useless. It's just not going to happen. And sure, you can call it software out of the 90s, but that what a forum is...nothing more than a public electronic bulletin board for information sharing. This isn't meant to be a networking site...you don't follow posters here, and they don't follow you either.

As to the other comment, the LAST thing that M&Gs need is cruise line organization...they aren't a cruise line function. Look at it this way: people join a roll call to chat, plan, share, and anticipate with others on their cruise. Some are involved for many weeks or even many months...or longer. These folks are talking to each other behind screen names, or maybe first names...but they are basically strangers. The purpose of the M&G is to allow those roll call participants the opportunity to Meet and Greet each other. It isn't to Meet & Greet the ship staff or vice versa. M&Gs are a roll call function held by, and for, the roll call participants.

Now we have 4 cents... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Yet, you have to realize that enabling private and off-line conversations (ie "messaging") would make the site virtually useless. It's just not going to happen. And sure, you can call it software out of the 90s, but that what a forum is...nothing more than a public electronic bulletin board for information sharing. This isn't meant to be a networking site...you don't follow posters here, and they don't follow you either.

As to the other comment, the LAST thing that M&Gs need is cruise line organization...they aren't a cruise line function. Look at it this way: people join a roll call to chat, plan, share, and anticipate with others on their cruise. Some are involved for many weeks or even many months...or longer. These folks are talking to each other behind screen names, or maybe first names...but they are basically strangers. The purpose of the M&G is to allow those roll call participants the opportunity to Meet and Greet each other. It isn't to Meet & Greet the ship staff or vice versa. M&Gs are a roll call function held by, and for, the roll call participants.

Now we have 4 cents... 

but how many times have we seen the grumbling about no upper management/staff/officers attending?  To many that astonishingly seems to be a big deal.

22 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

M&Gs are a roll call function held by, and for, the roll call participants.

When the meet and greet coordinator from the forum side (for lack of a better term) gets to decide what venue, what date and time, and who will be attending (if anyone) from the ship, what will be served...only then will it become a function organized and contolled by the roll call.

37 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

but how many times have we seen the grumbling about no upper management/staff/officers attending?  To many that astonishingly seems to be a big deal.

And those are the people who don't really "get" the point of the M&G. They aren't there it interact, but to curry favor with upper management. Done right, nobody from the ship even needs to attend. It is a nice gesture that they do, but it isn't needed.

16 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

When the meet and greet coordinator from the forum side (for lack of a better term) gets to decide what venue, what date and time, and who will be attending (if anyone) from the ship, what will be served...only then will it become a function organized and contolled by the roll call.

But the coordinator doesn't control the ship, they just request an available space for their group to meet. The rest is gravy.

• Like 2

When I first went solo about 11 years ago I was really active in my roll call and I did go to the meet up - but there wasn't much mingling.  It was on the Epic and I was in a studio and I met some lovely people through that.  After that I would join the roll call, but I often didn't sign up for the Meet and Mingle because I go on a cruise (especially in the Winter) to be outside and enjoy the weather and they always seemed to be 2 p.m. on first sea day on mine - which is exactly when I want to be on the deck or relaxing in the spa. The good thing about the solo gathering is that they are around 5 or 6 p.m.  so I still go to those and I've now cruised with friends I met on a cruise at the solos meet up. 

My roll call for my next cruise is not active and the other group isn't active, but I'm on the one for the ship and I found out there about things like the Bermuda TA and Vibe passes being available via phone before they went online (and a lot o less of the "we don't talk about vibe" responses, but there are still some) and have actually gotten some great shore ex and beach recommendations there. 

(I do not hesitate to block anyone rude - even if it was just directed at someone else, so that might be helping my experience since then their responses don't appear:))

On 7/26/2022 at 4:50 PM, GA Dave said:

My M&G's have all been completely independent of the ship and CC.  We just pick a nice spot with a bar and tell everyone to meet at a specific time.  It's worked out great.

I think I'd prefer this method.  I am on a roll call, on another line, and I did join in the hopes of meeting up with some nice folks for a bit of socializing, I'll be solo on this cruise.  I still plan to do that, but I have to say, I can already see from the many responses (it is a very active roll call) that it seems to be "clicky" as in, the back and forth with the cruise lifers of this and that, meet here, do that, and always responding to one another.  I've had a few responses but as I am not a frequent roll caller, the responses have been very limited and primarily between those that already know each other from many previous cruises.  That is all well and good, it really is, these folks get to see one another again and reminisce, but it's clear, at least to me, that the point of the roll call, at least as I understood it, was to be inclusive and welcome, get to meet new people etc.  Not what I am sensing thus far.  I will of course make an attempt once on board, but I am going in with low expectations, this way I can only be pleasantly surprised.  Just my 2 cents/sense. 

8 hours ago, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

I remember back in the day when someone would set up a meet and greet, slot pull, pub crawl, and cabin crawl (always good times) haven't seen that so much on my past few cruises. 

Sounds like good times indeed. The pandemic may have put a damper on such things.

In my experience, the fun of a pub crawl is killed by a supersized combined-social-media-groups roster.  Strolling around to various bars with six or eight new friends, pleasant diversion.  Shoving into bars with sixty other people, an exercise in long waits & frustration.  

I was wondering the same thing . We are on THREE cruises

Beginning in November... MSC Seascape  11/26 Transatlantic from Funchal to NYC 

2 of them NCL

The Pearl 12/10 from Miami

The Bliss 1/27/23 from Los Angeles  to Miami (Panama Canal)

Is anyone on either of these ? Are there roll calls here ?

On 7/25/2022 at 6:19 PM, kelib said:

I am an administrator for our cruise in January on the page that can’t be mentioned.

I have posted a link to CC and encourage them to also join the CC roll call. I think some have but you don’t know since there is no real sign up and people just lurk. At least I know that I have over 80 members on the other page, and we have a signup sheet for M&G and other functions on both sites. 
I wish that CC did not take away the PM function. So much easier and faster to use messenger when you want to discuss something off the page to a particular person. I’ll continue to encourage everyone to use both sites.

May I ask which cruise you are referencing in January .?

I've always enjoyed following Roll Calls as a way to learn about activities, excursions, etc that people are planning at each port.  In turn add my recommendations or plans.  I've noticed that Roll Call activity is way down. No idea why except that more pax must use the other social media.

But what bothers me more than the slow Roll Calls is the lack of trip reports.  Of the hundreds of questions asked of this forum every day, only a handful of people ever come back with a trip report.  A report doesn't have to be one of those dreadful 30 pg sagas with a photo of your every meal and drink; it can be ONE paragraph with your overall opinion of the cruise, your activities at each port, hits/misses. Seems only fair that you should give back to the forum users who were there to answer your questions.

2 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I've always enjoyed following Roll Calls as a way to learn about activities, excursions, etc that people are planning at each port.  In turn add my recommendations or plans.  I've noticed that Roll Call activity is way down. No idea why except that more pax must use the other social media.

But what bothers me more than the slow Roll Calls is the lack of trip reports.  Of the hundreds of questions asked of this forum every day, only a handful of people ever come back with a trip report.  A report doesn't have to be one of those dreadful 30 pg sagas with a photo of your every meal and drink; it can be ONE paragraph with your overall opinion of the cruise, your activities at each port, hits/misses. Seems only fair that you should give back to the forum users who were there to answer your questions.

I think people dont like to leave trip reports in the forums, because no matter what, someone will disagree and just want to be argumentative.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

My response is off-topic from Roll Calls, but I've noticed on other social media sites there are more trip reports.  For instance I am interested in POA reports of which there have been very few here on CC, and the ones I've seen have been primarily negative.  However, on other sites I've seen MANY trip reports, some 'live from' reports, and lots of positive comments.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ALKID said:

I think people dont like to leave trip reports in the forums, because no matter what, someone will disagree and just want to be argumentative.  

Exactly...which is why CC has a specific place outside of the discussion forum(s) for trip reports and/or reviews. When you post them there, there is no commenting and thus no arguing...nothing but the review.

5 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

My response is off-topic from Roll Calls, but I've noticed on other social media sites there are more trip reports.  For instance I am interested in POA reports of which there have been very few here on CC, and the ones I've seen have been primarily negative.  However, on other sites I've seen MANY trip reports, some 'live from' reports, and lots of positive comments.  

Try here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=349

Not only will you find CC's review of the POA, there are also over 2,250 member reviews posted there as well.

35 minutes ago, ALKID said:

We use the other group.  We find the people that post there are less likely to make racist comments behind their keyboard which are condoned by this site, just because the bullies have a ton of posts, mostly correcting everybody else’s posts even though they haven’t been on a cruise in years, and mostly dont have a clue.

Wow...you've judged people here as "racist", "bullies", and "without a clue", and you only joined CC earlier today??

If you felt that way about people, why even create the account?

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Wow...you've judged people here as "racist", "bullies", and "without a clue", and you only joined CC earlier today??

If you felt that way about people, why even create the account?

See what I mean?

2 minutes ago, ALKID said:

See what I mean?

No...I don't. Please explain how you came to that conclusion about people you don't know in the couple hours that you've been on CC. And if that is how you feel, why join? BTW...have you contacted the Administrators with your allegation that they condone racist behavior? That is a fairly serious accusation after all.

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

No...I don't. Please explain how you came to that conclusion about people you don't know in the couple hours that you've been on CC. And if that is how you feel, why join? BTW...have you contacted the Administrators with your allegation that they condone racist behavior? That is a fairly serious accusation after all.

I have been a lurker for a long time, and see how it goes.  And yes, no need to insult me looked you are better or something just because you have a ton of posts.   Yes they know of the racist posts that person is still posting here like it is some kind of contest.  

On 7/26/2022 at 4:07 PM, casofilia said:

. Organise your own tours in public.

So I can't just stroll through the meet and greet saying "who wants to go to fantasy island? $30 bucks, payable to me, right now?" Well heck, there goes my side business.

Who the heck does this? If someone asks me what shore excursions I'm going on, I'll tell them at a meet and greet, in front of the captain, I don't care. No one is going to boot me for taking a shore excursion and telling someone where I'm going. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 5:10 PM, casofilia said:

I arrange a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet so that people can meet others from the Roll Call if they want to.   I ask people to inform me privately if they want to attend the Meet & Greet.

That is so I can prepare materials to. hopefully, make the Meet & Greet informative and enjoyable.

All I ask is that if people indicate to me their interest they actually attend of let me know if they don't intend to.

Then I can be accurate in my indication to the ship of an accurate number.

Before I get a little snotty...thank you for doing this. I'm sure those that attend your meet and greets appreciate the effort you go through to make them a fun experience. But, please tell me (you don't have to) that you get compensated for all your time and effort in some way...a bottle of wine, OBC, a thank you from CC or NCL.

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

So I can't just stroll through the meet and greet saying "who wants to go to fantasy island? $30 bucks, payable to me, right now?" Well heck, there goes my side business.

Who the heck does this? If someone asks me what shore excursions I'm going on, I'll tell them at a meet and greet, in front of the captain, I don't care. No one is going to boot me for taking a shore excursion and telling someone where I'm going. 

Exactly!  The it's not polite, you are a guest thing, come on I paid $$$$$ dearly to be on the ship, I will discuss what I want, when I want.  

• Thanks 1