Viking Gymir fire/explosion while parked in Amsterdam

DerekB

I do not have any details at this time, but the Viking longship Gymir has had an explosion/fire in Amsterdam. No word yet on victims - but there are police/fire/ambulances and busses on scene. 

I live about 5 minutes from the port. If I hear more I will post it here. 

Edit: Local news reporting there was an explosion in a battery compartment that started a fire. Some passengers received smoke inhalation. 

Edited by DerekB
typo
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow.. I hope all are ok. That ship was just built last year, and is a hybrid battery & engine. I hope it's not the battery on fire (not saying that's what happened, could be anything) as they can take quite a while to go out.

4 hours ago, DerekB said:

I do not have any details at this time, but the Viking longship Gymir has had an explosion/fire in Amsterdam. No word yet on victims - but there are police/fire/ambulances and busses on scene. 

I live about 5 minutes from the port. If I hear more I will post it here. 

Edit: Local news reporting there was an explosion in a battery compartment that started a fire. Some passengers received smoke inhalation. 

Oh no, please keep us posted.  that is terrible

We were onboard when the fire started. The pre departure briefing was interrupted with the instructions to disembark. “This is not a drill.” 

The crew did a fabulous job dealing with the emergency. After being on the dock for about an hour, we took refuge in the lounge of the River Diamond moored next to us, then walked to Viking Rolf for dinner in their lounge and terrace. After dinner we were bussed to the Shipol Hilton, where we await a briefing by Viking in 2 hours. 

I can not stress enough how extraordinarily well the situation has been handled. 

And we were worried about river levels 🤷🏼‍♂️

35D3369D-73C5-4B4F-AF0B-CF8E48799D2D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the info.

4 hours ago, 72NSUN said:

After dinner we were bussed to the Shipol Hilton, where we await a briefing by Viking in 2 hours. 

I guess that means you were possibly not able to return to the ship to sleep. Hope everything has turned out as best as it can in such a situation. So great that you were able to use two other ships facilities.

You are right, low water levels pale into insignificance.

All the best to you and everyone concerned.

notamermaid

According to local newspapers there was an explosion in the engine room and a fire broke out. Several people have inhaled the smoke. For more details please read (and translate): https://www.parool.nl/amsterdam/explosie-op-cruiseschip-naast-centraal-station~b38c2497/

https://www.ad.nl/amsterdam/explosie-op-cruiseschip-naast-centraal-station~a38c2497/

notamermaid