College Notification eMails while cruising?

3 hours ago, Project-College said:

Small world!  My son was waitlisted at Stanford then accepted.  His target (2018) was BioMathematics but Stanford only had Biomedical Computation.  After speaking with the Pharma 8... believe it or not the Rutgers program was the top!  Also, unfortunately, the most expensive of his 12 choices as all others offered very generous FinAid where Rutgers stunk... even though he is a fifth gen at the school, I taught there in the early 90's, and I am active in the Alumni.

This was his Graduation Cruise but now he's going to Grad School for Genetic Computational Biology.  My hope is he cracks the aging gene so I live long enough to pay off all the college loans!!!!

Always remember my dad calling me when I was 21.  He said you used our AT&T card to call us.  Don’t do it ever again.  This was back in the early 90s. My mom had given me the card and said only use it to call me (not friends), but call me whenever you want.  I never violated that rule.  My dad didn’t realize she had done that, but he didn’t think it appropriate since I was an adult.  He said you are a grown man now and if you want to call us, pay for it yourself.  

Here is the funny part.   His year end bonuses way back then could’ve payed for 4 years at Stanford.  He billed me for the $18 in long distance charges from the prior month.  😂😂.  That was a lot of gas money back then and I was on a very tight budget and saving for graduate school.  

As you can imagine I didn’t get a cruise for my graduation present or trips to Europe as I see a lot.  I think I got a briefcase and a note about how important it is to work hard.  Im sure not having the kids around as much must be hard.  Care to adopt an adult?   😂😂😂

My advice is to check your phone carrier and prices for when you are in ports.  For

most it would be cheap for a little use.  If that doesn’t work, get one package at the cheapest rate (surf plan for 1).  You clearly don’t need it every day so phone plan would be best  

For onboard, use notes and or meeting times to coordinate.   This was done by all before internet was prevalent.  It works.  They will likely be off doing things a lot so no worries. The ships are easy and there isn’t much trouble to get into relative to a college campus.  

4 hours ago, Project-College said:

Have two sons in College, one 2nd year undergrad the other starts Grad school in Sept.

The cost of the internet package seems a bit much, just to be checking emails a few times on the 9 Day cruise so:

Is free wifi at ports a good choice at ports (We stop at Labadee, San Juan - Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, St. Maarten) AND available?

It looks like we probably will get the 'messaging ap' of $1.99 pp pd, for the 4 iPhones but again don't think the Internet costs are justified.

Thoughts?  PS:  No streaming or high data just email checks.

You can just get wifi for one, and they will share it.  Bottom line is that it is a cost they need, so that you can enjoy vacation, just like any other costs.  I'm sure many parts of your vacation has a price on it, you don't like.

4 hours ago, Project-College said:

Glad I caught you again, as you always have the answers....

If u don't use the chat feature (as walkie talkies and whiteboard are out) how do you stay connected to two boys that will I am sure ditch their Parents within minutes on board?

There was one article that talked about iphones talking to one another without a cost BUT the article was dated 2017????

Put a hold on their charging privileges 😉

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Always remember my dad calling me when I was 21.  He said you used our AT&T card to call us.  Don’t do it ever again.  This was back in the early 90s. My mom had given me the card and said only use it to call me (not friends), but call me whenever you want.  I never violated that rule.  My dad didn’t realize she had done that, but he didn’t think it appropriate since I was an adult.  He said you are a grown man now and if you want to call us, pay for it yourself.  

Here is the funny part.   His year end bonuses way back then could’ve payed for 4 years at Stanford.  He billed me for the $18 in long distance charges from the prior month.  😂😂.  That was a lot of gas money back then and I was on a very tight budget and saving for graduate school.  

As you can imagine I didn’t get a cruise for my graduation present or trips to Europe as I see a lot.  I think I got a briefcase and a note about how important it is to work hard.  Im sure not having the kids around as much must be hard.  Care to adopt an adult?   😂😂😂

As the movie goes....NOPE!

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

You can just get wifi for one, and they will share it.  Bottom line is that it is a cost they need, so that you can enjoy vacation, just like any other costs.  I'm sure many parts of your vacation has a price on it, you don't like.

That's one way to look at it....

As stated, if you're American, your cell phone will work in San Juan just as it does at home.  (Same for St. Thomas, if anyone is interested.)

Another idea for on the ship is you can always ask a new cruise friend if you can borrow their internet for a few minutes.  I've been known, after chatting someone up in the hot tub or Solarium or wherever, to log off my phone and log their phone onto my wifi long enough for them to check their emails or send a message home or whatever.  Then I just log them off and log back on with my device.  I'm usually reading my Kindle on the pool deck, so it's no big deal to log off my phone for ten minutes once in a while.

And given that your kids are adults, I wouldn't even bother with the messaging app.  Pre-planned meeting times should be sufficient for everyone.  

21 hours ago, Project-College said:

Not sure what College she is in but my 25 years experience with Universities... rare a Professor would make that sort of allowance for one that is on vacation.  Sickness/Family Issues, yes but vacations... have never seen it except at Princeton (he Parents had donated over 4 mil so I guess she deserved a few privilages).  

As a university professor, I can’t imagine *not* letting students turn in stuff ahead of time. I don’t have to grade it till everyone else’s is in if I don’t want, and if it is turned in early and I have the time (ha!), I can get ahead of my grading. [am a a top 5 public R1, #1 ranked in our field, for reference]