SUGGESTIONS FOR MY 14 m/o SON ON MARINER?

The in cabin sitters at night are great. No complaints at all about them. They will try to get you the same one for the duration of your cruise. They are very nice and it allows you to get out too.

Thanks for the info Nliedel! Although the thought of having a "night out" with my wife sounds great, I think we are both looking forward to a lot of relaxing, lots of naps, and plenty of sun. If we do decide to do something alone, we have my Mom & Dad who really don't need an excuse to want to spend some time alone with their only grandchild!:)

I realize he is too young to remember anything, just like our trip to Disney last Nov., but that's why we have a video camera. Someday he will look back at those and know he had fun.......he just can't remember! :)

If I remember correctly there is no toddler paddle pool on MOS, so you could bring a cheapie inflatable pool and let him play in that. Put a little water in it, some floating toys.

At that age, they all kinda go with the flow. And I am with you, I NEVER use the in room babysitting, never needed to. We usually travel with fam and friends who are more than willing to help out. ;)

Have a great time!

We just got off the Mariner this past Sunday. Our kids are 10 (son) and 12 (daughter). Our 10 year old went up to the basketball court almost immediately after we got on the ship and made friends instantly with all the boys up there. He didn't even bother going to the kids' program. I would take him up there after you get settled in on the ship if he enjoys basketball. Our son was out until 1am every night playing basketball. It seems the boys all hang out up there. I can't imagine you needing an in room babysitter for a 14 year old. Get some walkie talkies if you are concerned about not being in touch with him. We did that and after the 2nd day, they sat on the table in our room. We always knew where to find them. Our daughter did use the teens program and loved it! Every kid is different and you know your child better than anyone else. DH and I went to Chops for dinner one night and our 10 year old was feeling a little sea sick and napped in his room, but our daughter got dressed and went to dinner in the dining room right by herself! Whe loved it! Our Waiter (Riza) and assistant (Jose) treated her like a Queen!

hahahahahaha!! he is little, but he is pretty outgoing for his age, so he could probably make friends! plus, he is head-down reckless right now, so he would probably do pretty well!

I have an 8 year old, a 6 year old, a 29 month old and a 17 month old. You ain't seen nuthin yet! Your hair will go grey, your bowels will clench and you are probably, in the next year, going to be scared at least three years out of your life. Hang on the big wave is yet to come. You are also going to have more fun than you know how to have.

I traveled a lot with my 8 year old when it was still two against one. Now that they outnumber us we mostly just pretend we can't hear and walk around with a white flag of surrender. If my memory serves us it was about at 14 months that we were manipulated good and proper for the first time. Entering a store my son grabbed a large stuffed bear, said, "BOP! MY BOP" and we bought it for him! All $60.00 worth of stuffed bear. He is 8 now and still sleeps with it (don't tell him I told you that).

You will not have to look for things to entertain him. A box would do the trick. Just play with him and enjoy him and have fun. Seriously at 14 months the world is a big sandbox and there is no cat poo in it.

You will not need to find things that interest him, the world will do it for you. Remember, no diapers in the pool, not even swim diapers and everything will be fun.

Ahh all those adults and only one child. Those were the days. ;)

You'll have a good time, but probably not get alot of fun in the sun, napping and down time. I have 2 boys (now 15 and 12) and although we take them everywhere with us now, when they were little we left them with family so we could have our "alone" time.

Go with the flow, be sure to lather him with lots of sun screen. Be prepared for him to get cranky if he's in the Caribbean sun for long. It can get very hot. Use an inflatable pool just for him. He's too liitle for the other pools (I'd be more concerned about the older kids splashing/rough housing next to him). Have 1st seating dinner or eat in the Windjammer. Do you have a balcony cabin? The balcony will be great for you while the little guy is sleeping in the cabin.

I wish you luck and maybe consider a cruise for you and your wife next time. If Grandma/pa love being with the little one, maybe theyll do it from home and you and your wife can have a second honeymoon.

In no way am I against little ones on a cruise. What I am for is mom and dad being able to have their own time if it's what they want and family can help out and watch the child for a week at home. As a mom, that is the best present you can give me and makes me appreciate and have more patience for my kids when I return. I've been able to do this 6-8 times in my 20 year marriage, and it has been great!

regards,

Rose

My family will be cruising the Mariner in June and my then 14 month old DD will be with us as well. This will be my DD's second cruise (her first on the Carnival Triumph at 6 months) and I am planning to take most everything I took with me on the first cruise.

The one thing I was very, very pleased to have with me was a smaller, good quality umbrella stroller. I have a Combi that is lightweight, has a shoulder strap, small bottom basket, nice canopy, reclines and even has a drink holder. It actually fit under the bed in the room to give us more space. Since the corridors on the ship can be quite narrow, a smaller stroller makes it so much easier to manuever around. She also got to take a nap once or twice in there as needed. Although at 14m I'm not sure how much of that I can get away with. :)

I'm really looking forward to this cruise even more than the last and can't wait until we get to board! :cool:

Good luck with you and your little one!

good grief,

The little 14 month old may not remember the cruise,but certainly those of us that have to hear it cry or get your heels slammed by the stroller or inconvenienced at the elevator while wafting poopaloopa fecal teabag etc;etc;,will most certainly remember:(

Thanks for the memories:rolleyes:

Archived