Seattle Museum of Flight - visit from Cruise Ship?

Scougs

I'm on the Ruby Princess this September, and have a full day in Seattle (9am to 9pm) on Tuesday 20th.  Looking at what there is to do and see in the area, I would really like to get to the Museum of Flight.  Has anyone done this?  Would it just be a case of getting a taxi, and how easy is that at the port?

Like @CruiserBrucesuggests, either a taxi or an Uber from Pier 91, as public transportation really isn't an option.

I believe the museum opens at 10 AM, so either you will arrive before the doors open, or maybe you want to grab a quick breakfast somewhere, an then head to the museum - although that would involve another Uber or taxi fee.

One breakfast spot I would recommend is the Bay Cafe at Fisherman's Terminal.  It would be a short drive from the pier (too far to walk).  Restaurant is on a pier and overlooks fishing boats.  I highly recommend any egg dish that features seafood (omelets, frittatas, benedicts, etc).

after breakfast you can call for an Uber (probably faster than a taxi), and head to the Museum of Flight.

https://baycafefishermansterminal.com/

Actually the Port of Seattle shows the Ruby Princess docking at Pier 66 downtown, probably because it's a transient stop (San Francisco origin/destination.)  While I adore the Bay Cafe, it would be quite inconvenient for the OP to head all the way to Fishermen's Terminal, then back south to the MoF.

Assuming disembarking at 9 AM (docking earlier I assume) I'd probably just have brekkies on board, then go down to the taxi rank around 9:30 and head to the MoF.  It'll be around a 15 minute cab ride, plus or minus.  If you need more sustenance, the little cafe in the museum is surprisingly good.  The gift shop is outstanding, too.

When you're finished visiting, you can take the city bus (bus no. 124) back to the downtown area.  The bis stop is right in front of the museum on Marginal Way, and if you want to experience one of Seattle's most interesting destinations (IMO) just stay on the bus (which will renumber itself to the no. 24, but you don't have to get off) until it stops at the International District station.  A block from the station is the wonderful Uwajimaya pan-Asian grocery and department store.  Play "name that vegetable" in the produce section, explore the big branch of Japan's biggest bookstore, Kinokuniya, inside the premises, nosh on any number of Asian dishes in the fun food court inside the market, or buy some weird Japanese snacks (or not weird sake) for the onward voyage.  Seattle Asian Market & Grocery Store | Uwajimaya

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/bTCpomSSTeZzuyC49

Street view of bus stop - https://goo.gl/maps/Dpf3Gp35Ym9BGgzm6

@Gardyloo Great information, thank you.  How do you pay for the city bus? 

Looking at the maps, it seems it's a pleasant half hour walk along the waterfront to get back to Pier 66.  This looks like a perfect day trip.

4 hours ago, Scougs said:

@Gardyloo Great information, thank you.  How do you pay for the city bus? 

Looking at the maps, it seems it's a pleasant half hour walk along the waterfront to get back to Pier 66.  This looks like a perfect day trip.

The single fare is $2.75.  There's a cash box when you board, so you'll need $5.50 in currency.  The drivers can't make change.  There's an electronic "oyster" type card, called the "Orca" card, but with only one ride likely I don't think it's worth bothering about.  

The walk from Uwajimaya or the International District in general, back to Pier 66, is fine along the waterfront, although you might have to make some short detours due to ongoing construction - piers and a new waterfront park.  Depending on the time, you might consider stopping at the ferry terminal and hopping on the West Seattle Water Taxi, which crosses Elliott Bay to Seacrest Park in West Seattle (part of the city.)  This brief ride is lovely, and at the West Seattle end there's a pier with a terrific little bar/cafe, Marination Ma Kai, which offers fun Korean/Hawaiian food, good drinks, and has a patio with the best view of the city skyline there is.  

Here's a picture of the water taxi arriving (the crossing takes ~10 minutes.)  

P1000136aHs.jpg

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/7gkngWNu1WVtSMnc6

Edited by Gardyloo

• 1 month later...

@Gardyloo  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

I had the most wonderful visit to the Museum of Flight.  Got a taxi no problem after stepping off the ship. Cost was $28.  The taxi driver helpfully pointed out that the museum campus is both sides of the road as he dropped me off, telling me to make sure I visit both sides.

I was there for over three hours. It was everything I'd hoped it would be.  The "tower" with a view over the adjacent runway while listening to the Air Traffic Control chatter was an unexpected bonus.

I got the bus back into downtown Seattle no problem at all.  They were every 15 minutes.  It went through some - ahem - "interesting" parts of town on the way back, which gave me a flavour of Seattle I wouldn't have got from a cruise ship excursion.

Given the time when I was travelling back, I just stayed on the bus until near Pike Place Market and had a mosey around and a pint in a brew pub before walking to the ship.

Thanks again for the wonderful information.  It was so, so much better than any organised excursion would possibly have been.

• Like 3