Internet Packages

I don't know if I lack some reading comprehension or what but I've been searching for a while now and haven't found anything on this, sooooo.

With the internet packages on P&O, specifically the 'Social Talk+' does my family of 3 need to purchase 3 of these packages for us all to use, or can we share one pack by signing in and out of our devices for each other to use the internet?

Sorry, I haven't been on P&O since 2017 and I believe their packages have changed!

Thank you for your help ❤️

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would suggest purchasing a fairly inexpensive travel router which will enable you to share the Internet (basically it logs in and then creates a wifi network for your devices to use).

You can find this one on Amazon. It's $40 today. Works very well. About the size of your palm.

GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router

I take mine *everywhere*. Worked well on our last cruise in 2019 that only had one wifi package.

My husband and I shared the internet package in August on Pacific Explorer.  If you are on the internet and someone else tries to log in using the same credentials, the first person will be bumped off, at least that was our experience.  So yes, you can all share the 1 internet package but cannot all use it at the same time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2022 at 8:41 AM, davo67 said:

I would suggest purchasing a fairly inexpensive travel router which will enable you to share the Internet (basically it logs in and then creates a wifi network for your devices to use).

You can find this one on Amazon. It's $40 today. Works very well. About the size of your palm.

GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router

I take mine *everywhere*. Worked well on our last cruise in 2019 that only had one wifi package.

You can download software to your laptop that will let you share the internet connection to multiple devices. The laptop needs to be switched on obviously (same as router).

The devices would need to be in range of the laptop (the same as the situation with the router).

You will not be able to wander around the ship (out of range of the router or laptop i.e. outside the cabin)  with multiple devices without buying multiple packages.

Edited by P&T

On 12/1/2022 at 8:09 AM, P&T said:

You can download software to your laptop that will let you share the internet connection to multiple devices. The laptop needs to be switched on obviously (same as router).

The devices would need to be in range of the laptop (the same as the situation with the router).

You will not be able to wander around the ship (out of range of the router or laptop i.e. outside the cabin)  with multiple devices without buying multiple packages.

https://www.lifewire.com/internet-connection-sharing-software-packages-817795

• 4 weeks later...

The feedback above is correct about only being able to connect a single device at a time... I haven't tried the software that allows you to use a laptop effectively as a router.  However I can tell you from experience ...as in experience right now...that the internet connectivity onboard is beyond insultingly slow...it's effectively useless.  I'm currently onboard the Pacific Encounter just off New Caledonia and we paid for the 'Premium Internet Package' ....and what an incredible waste of money it's been.  You CANNOT stream any video....you can't even load a Reddit home page....Spotify is pretty much out of the question.  Selling this internet package as 'Premium' and being capable of supportig streaming services and social media is quite literally a case of 'bait and switch'.  I guess I'll be having another chat with guest services ..so far 2 days in my drinks package has been incorrectly charged 4 times so I'm getting to know the guys on the guest services desk (it takes more than one visit to get them to correctly process a credit).  I won't continue to rant but I will say that the internet package is in my experience just short of completely useless and certainly way way short of what is promised.  I guess is there was one other thing worth mentioning it's that the P&O Cruise App is fecking useless ...it'd take too long to explain how poor it is but suffice it to say that P&O should be completely ashamed of themselves for treating their guests this way.

Here's hoping this actually posts ...it literally took 10 minutes to login, change my password and load this page ...so I'd guess there's a 50/50 chance it'll crash/timeout when I hit 'Post'.

• 2 weeks later...

Better to get the Social Talk+ - you can access your emails through that one even though slow.

I bought one package and created a hotspot using my laptop. I did not have to install any special software for my laptop to do that. It worked very well and I could use as many devices from the hotspot.

• 4 weeks later...

We have an upcoming cruise on Encounter and will have a 250mb internet package. Being techno idiots (freaking out about the P&O App for a start!😬) could someone tell us if the internet package we have will accommodate email access (however slow it may be) please. We don't intend spending a lot of time on the net, just a quick scan of emails from time to time.