AmaWaterways questions

NMTraveller

No board. 

anything is possible but i wouldn’t count on the vaccine requirements changing.  You may find depending on itinerary that it’s an issue in specific countries as well or at least introduces a major hassle to not be vaccinated. 

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

Question best answered by the cruise line or TA.  No one can predict what will be happening in a week or so never mind next summer,  With the size of river cruisers, you are in much closer contact than on ocean liners.

Would your friend really want to expose themselves to the possibility of getting covid in a foreign country--something to think about.

We have just booked our 5th AMA cruise, a charter with the American Wine Society for next April. It will be good to get back on the rivers.

Good luck, stay well.  Pat

On 7/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, NMTraveller said:

Does AMA Waterways have a board on this forum?  Is it possible that AMA Waterways will drop the vaccination requirement for next summer?  We have one in our large group who does not want the vaccine.

No one really knows. AMA hasn't said and I doubt they will say at this point given how Covid has been such an up and down thing.  A large number of AMA cruisers want a fully vaccinated crew and guests, so if they relax the rule they stand to lose those guests.  On the other hand, ocean cruises have been dropping the vaccination requirements at a faster rate than I would have predicted.

As @CastleCritic alluded to, you also must consider what the specific countries on the itinerary require.  As an example, when I was Germany last Christmas, they were MUCH stricter than the US regarding showing CDC cards and wearing a mask to go indoors almost anywhere.

My advice to this person would be to not plan for the trip if they don't wish to get vaccinated.  It's like all the countries I cannot visit if I choose not be vaccinated for yellow fever.  If things change, and there are still cabins available later, they can maybe join the voyage.

I should note that AMA currently has an exemption process:

"AmaWaterways is currently operating our river cruise ships with vaccination rates approaching 100%. To align with the current international travel environment and country entry requirements, we have recently updated our guidelines. We have in place an exemption process that may result in a small number of guests onboard who are not fully vaccinated due to religious, medical and other guest considerations. These guests will be required to complete, and have available to show at time of embarkation, a negative PCR or Antigen test taken no more than 48 hours prior to embarkation or a Covid-19 recovery letter no older than 60 days prior to embarkation.

We kindly advise guests and their travel advisors to remain up to date with travel entry requirements of each country being visited as it is each guest’s personal responsibility to ensure they meet the travel entry requirements of each country."

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

With ocean cruises dropping their restrictions on cruising I think that I will wait and see what happens with river cruises.

As noted earlier, this policy has to do with the destinations.  Bermuda and Canada haven't changed.  So depending upon the county a cruise visited you may require the vaccination.   For example, Luxembourg and France are stricter with entry requirements then England.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to AmaWaterways questions