Trip Insurance Guidance

CLOUDYTOWN

We are considering the 73 day October 2023 Grand Africa Voyage and are reviewing travel insurance plans.  What are the experiences for reimbursement from those of you who have had to submit claims?  We are looking at the Platinum Holland plan along with other company offerings.  Any experience with "cancel for any reason"?

Thanks!

I suggest you check with other travel protection companies…especially for such a long cruise. There are extremely reputable ones out there. I know I can’t list them. They will cover items that the cruise line’s insurance will not. They typically cost the same or less than the ones offered by cruise lines and have better coverage. You want to look for things like medical coverage, evacuation coverage etc… Helicopter evacuation can cost up to $100,00. 

I always get trip insurance for Steve at Trip Insurances Store dot com. He, and the rest of his team, have great prices and customer service. Call him instead of relying on the website’s cost estimator and you’ll probably get a better price . 

• Like 1

I second Steve from Trip Insurance Store, he can walk you through all scenarios and put a plan together based on your needs. For longer trips like yours he’d rather talk to you than use the cost estimator.  He also recently did a Q&A session here on Cruise Critic. 

• Like 1

I didn’t think we could name companies. Allianz or Travel Guard/AIG are large companies that are excellent. You don’t need a broker. You can just go online and enter the information for options. You can call them directly. 

12 hours ago, travlin said:

I didn’t think we could name companies. Allianz or Travel Guard/AIG are large companies that are excellent. You don’t need a broker. You can just go online and enter the information for options. You can call them directly. 

I thought that the prohibition against giving out names applies only to travel agencies and other cruise booking entities, not insurance agencies.  Someone will correct me if this is a misunderstanding.

• Like 1

You might also want to browse on the travel insurance section of CruiseCritic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/?

This would also be an excellent place to ask your question(s).

It will help if you give your country of residence, and if in the USA, also the State.  (Insurance is regulated by the states, so some policies differ by state of residence, or may not be available.)

We always use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - also recommended above.

But CALL.  There can be some fine tuning that might make a difference, and that can't be learned from the online summaries.  (For example, are there frail/ill family members who aren't traveling?  Do you have pre-existing conditions? Etc...)

We've used them since learning about them here on CC, and we've had several claims.  All were paid without any nonsense.  In part, that's because TIS helped us get the *right* policies.

Many of the complaints we read about are because the claim was made for something that wasn't covered in the first place, which is really unfortunate.

Our policies through TIS have been with Travel Insured, but TIS works with several vetted insurers.  (There is no extra charge for using a broker like TIS, by the way.)

GC