Solo cruiser on dogsledding excursion--weird or not?

Webb Pierce

I'm going on my first cruise, to Alaska, and doing it solo. The dog sledding (plus helicopter ride) looks amazing and is the only excursion I am thinking of. But I will be alone. I'm sure they form groups of people for the sledding itself, which is fine by me, but will it be uncomfortable? That is, will people be like, "wow, it would have been cool but there was some random old dude on our sled with us". Has anyone done this alone, or have any thoughts on it? Thanks.

Although I have not been on this specific excursion, we have been on a lot of cruises and excursions.  I think part of the fun of cruising is sharing excursions with others and meeting people, either families, couples, or solo ... everyone seems to bring something interesting to the conversation....   I would honestly say, I would  prefer to share my excursions with solos or couples over a larger family ... as sometimes those groups tend to dominate the excursion conversation, but all are welcome in my opinion...

Have fun... 

7 hours ago, Webb Pierce said:

I'm going on my first cruise, to Alaska, and doing it solo. The dog sledding (plus helicopter ride) looks amazing and is the only excursion I am thinking of. But I will be alone. I'm sure they form groups of people for the sledding itself, which is fine by me, but will it be uncomfortable? That is, will people be like, "wow, it would have been cool but there was some random old dude on our sled with us". Has anyone done this alone, or have any thoughts on it? Thanks.

I have been to Alaska many times as a solo and one of those times enjoyed dogsledding in Skagway (my favorite excursion ever).  i shared a sled with a family of three (one less than a year old).  My front row sled seat was truly memorable. 

Here is a link to see what you will experience:  Dogsledding in Skagway

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120105-1.jpg

I didn't get to go on my cruise, but I was booked on a June 2022 Alaska cruise and had booked this excursion solo.  I too was worried that I'd end up being the one odd person with a family or couple.  But, I figured that they'd dealt with this before b/c I wouldn't be the first solo traveler around there (they being the dog sledding staff).  I've rebooked the cruise for next summer and intend to choose the same excursion.

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom

I took my then-girlfriend dog sledding in northern Ontario in the winter, which is way more authentic (and cheaper) than sledding a glacier on a cruise.  She was scared to death when we dogsledded on a frozen lake, but she said the good-looking tour guide coaxed her onto the lake.  Mixed messages for me--I married her. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:55 PM, CCJack said:

I would honestly say, I would  prefer to share my excursions with solos or couples over a larger family ... as sometimes those groups tend to dominate the excursion conversation, but all are welcome in my opinion...

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. Hopefully I'll be in a good group.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:22 AM, Crew News said:

i shared a sled with a family of three (one less than a year old).  My front row sled seat was truly memorable. 

Wow, thanks for the photo and the links to the rest. Now I'm excited!

15 minutes ago, Webb Pierce said:

Wow, thanks for the photo and the links to the rest. Now I'm excited!

During my time in the mountains, I learned so much about sled dogs and their love to run.  If the musher did not drive a stake in the snow to anchor the sled, the dogs would just run away with the empty sled.  I think the dogs know only two speeds:  resting and fast as you can run. 

With only a few mushers available, most of the dogs love attention from visitors (we were warned of those dogs who did not like visitor attention).  The new puppies loved the attention from the visitors.

The feeling of ice crystals hitting your face from paws digging into the snow, the wind in your face, and the awesome scenery was an incredible experience. 

Webb Pierce, glad you posted, Ive kind of randomly had the same thought. Alaskan cruise in 3 weeks, going solo. Will be doing Taku Lodge float plane & White Pass train as two of my excursions. Seems there are still many out there who wonder why a woman would travel solo. I'm (at least in my opinion) a very young 60, there's things I want to do in Alaska & don't mind doing them by myself. Lol my adult daughter is cringing at the thought of my dining alone if I choose to! I am sometimes very outgoing, and there are many that think I'm interesting but I know my "uniqueness" could get me looked at like "who's that weird lady trying to join our group?".  BTW, I used to hang out with a guy named Webb back in the day....✌️🙂

4 minutes ago, firstjourney said:

Webb Pierce, glad you posted, Ive kind of randomly had the same thought. Alaskan cruise in 3 weeks, going solo. Will be doing Taku Lodge float plane & White Pass train as two of my excursions. Seems there are still many out there who wonder why a woman would travel solo. I'm (at least in my opinion) a very young 60, there's things I want to do in Alaska & don't mind doing them by myself. Lol my adult daughter is cringing at the thought of my dining alone if I choose to! I am sometimes very outgoing, and there are many that think I'm interesting but I know my "uniqueness" could get me looked at like "who's that weird lady trying to join our group?".  BTW, I used to hang out with a guy named Webb back in the day....✌️🙂

Good choice on the Taku Lodge excursion.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/taku-lodge/P5110146.jpg

I did this excursion alone in June 2018. I was cruising with my parents and neither of them wanted to do a helicopter. I was paired with a family of 4 (parents with 2 younger kids) and it didn't feel weird at all. Once you're on the glacier you go on the sled with a larger group (from another helicopter) and I was paired with another single person for that part. Go for it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shel71 said:

Once you're on the glacier you go on the sled with a larger group (from another helicopter) and I was paired with another single person for that part. Go for it!

I didn't realize this. Thanks for letting me know, and that the chopper ride didn't feel weird either. This puts my mind at ease. I hope you enjoyed your dogsledding!

7 hours ago, Webb Pierce said:

I didn't realize this. Thanks for letting me know, and that the chopper ride didn't feel weird either. This puts my mind at ease. I hope you enjoyed your dogsledding!

Not at all. I got to sit up front with the pilot and the family with 2 kids sat in the back. It was actually weirder when I went with my husband as we were paired with another couple so the other couple was split with one in the front of the helicopter and one in the back with us. Being the single person you're almost guaranteed the front seat which is by far the best views! 😉

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing the kayak and ice adventure solo because it's too strenuous for the peeps I travel with. I know I'll make friends quickly. Going on an adventure solo because you don't want to miss it is awesome, not weird. 🙂 Enjoy it!