Oceania vs. Cunard QE for Alaska 2023?

LB_NJ

I generally prefer Oceania however Cunard does Glacier Bay and Oceania does not.  Both cruises do Hubbard Glacier.

The rest of the itinerary is similar.  Both cruises start in Vancouver.  Cunard returns there, Oceania returns to Seattle.

We would probably do an inside cabin on either cruise.

Any thoughts?

I personally don't think the Oceania Alaska itineraries allow one enough flexibility to see the part of Alaska that doesn't hug the Canadian West coast from Seattle or Vancouver north to Seward or Whittier.   Alaska has so much to offer to visitors; we flew into Anchorage, rented a car and drove north to Denali, stayed 2 nights in the Princess lodge up north, and another night in the Southern Princess lodge.  Easy driving, booked the hotels through the 'land desk' at Princess and joined a one way 7 day southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.  That way, we saw Anchorage (a lovely city), and the fantastic Denali landscape, as well as several of the little towns along the southern coastline (Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway)  One can also fly to Fairbanks and drive south through Denali toward Anchorage, then onto the ship.  I wish Oceania had a one way northbound or southbound itinerary.  We'd go again in a heartbeat.   It's such a distance from the Eastcoast that it's a shame to not see the mountains and towns in another part of the state. Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 11:00 PM, LB_NJ said:

I generally prefer Oceania however Cunard does Glacier Bay and Oceania does not.  Both cruises do Hubbard Glacier.

The rest of the itinerary is similar.  Both cruises start in Vancouver.  Cunard returns there, Oceania returns to Seattle.

We would probably do an inside cabin on either cruise.

Any thoughts?

Cunard is very formal, but the entertainment is way better. Oceania food is much better than any other line, in our experience across 16 cruiselines.

So what is most important to you will drive the decision you make. Itinerary looks to me like Cunard wins on this occasion....certainly if it were us!

We started our cruising life on Cunard & only switched when they did less Caribbean trips. The dress code is much more formal than Oceania's "Country Club Casual style. Food on Cunard is good overall. If you dine in Queens Grill even Oceania, can't quite match it (in my opinion) Queens Grill allows for freely venturing "off-menu".

5 hours ago, rbtan said:

We started our cruising life on Cunard & only switched when they did less Caribbean trips. The dress code is much more formal than Oceania's "Country Club Casual style. Food on Cunard is good overall. If you dine in Queens Grill even Oceania, can't quite match it (in my opinion) Queens Grill allows for freely venturing "off-menu".

Can't quite justify Queens Grill.  However, given the superior itinerary I think we will go with Cunard.