Hair straighteners

Mocamps

Hi everyone,

Just packing for our Arctic trip on Silver Wind leaving on Sunday!! Very excited!! But I foolishly had my hair cut recently and now can't do a thing with it without hair straighteners! Can I use them on a ship? I am so used to just tying it back and forgetting about it so not used to fussing about my hair and have previously never even used a dryer on a ship!!

I am sure you can.   I am currently angsting about hair, just got it nearly to shoulders but it really needs significant tidying up of the ends which will lift it above tying back height.  I am sailing on a catamaran in Turkey next month but thats very informal so if its a mess then so be it but I will still have several months to decide whether to grow it on down to tie back length again in time for my Galapagos trip early next year.    Oh the trials and tribulations of being a woman, my husband just has a short back and sides just before a holiday and he is fine (there is none on top).   Dont forget you will probably be wearing a hat most of the time, either to keep the sun out of your ears or to keep your ears warm so during the day your hair really wont matter.   Have a wonderful time.

I know. I just let mine grow during lockdown and it was really very easy because I could plait it. But it was too unruly to ever have it loose and I was bored with tying it back all the time - but now seeing the benefits!! I could go in and out of the swimming pool with my plait and not worry at all - until the end of the day!! Now I HAVE to straighten it or it looks like I've been dragged through a hedge!!

I'll pack the straighteners! At least it's not a catamaran!! Though we do love them as well!! I love just being able to jump in the water when I get hot. And I love Turkey as well!! But I don't think heat will be a problem on this holiday. We're off to Greenland!! A bucket list destination for us! And was cancelled last year!

6 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Can’t see why not, my wife uses her Dyson curlers without issue and she loathes her hair being straight. How nice to have a thread that doesn’t include mens attire 😎

We always want what we haven't got, don't we?? I'm sure if my hair was straight, I'd want to curl it as well!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mocamps said:

I know. I just let mine grow during lockdown and it was really very easy because I could plait it. But it was too unruly to ever have it loose and I was bored with tying it back all the time - but now seeing the benefits!! I could go in and out of the swimming pool with my plait and not worry at all - until the end of the day!! Now I HAVE to straighten it or it looks like I've been dragged through a hedge!!

I'll pack the straighteners! At least it's not a catamaran!! Though we do love them as well!! I love just being able to jump in the water when I get hot. And I love Turkey as well!! But I don't think heat will be a problem on this holiday. We're off to Greenland!! A bucket list destination for us! And was cancelled last year!

But there is the hot tub to contend with and it is an absolute must do with a glass of champagne in hand. 

17 hours ago, labrasett said:

But there is the hot tub to contend with and it is an absolute must do with a glass of champagne in hand. 

Good point!! We have an amazing photo of us both in the hot tub in the Antarctic while it's snowing! We have woolly hats on and the obligatory glasses in our hands!!

I believe that the issue with hair straighteners, and similar products, on any cruise ship is the fire risk if they are left unattended.

I also believe that many of these devices have a thermal cut off to prevent overheating so as long as yours have this feature then there should be no problems, otherwise leave them at home.

Biggest problem is some guests are from countries that their hair straightener is powered by 120 volts. It would behoove all users to purchase a hair straightener that is powered by 220 volts and bring a two-pin adapter.  if you only have a 110 volt unit, only some ships have rooms with 110 volt receptacles in their rooms.    WARNING -  if you put an adapter on a 110 volt unit and plug it into a 220 volt receptacle, it will burn up instantly. 

2 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

Biggest problem is some guests are from countries that their hair straightener is powered by 120 volts. It would behoove all users to purchase a hair straightener that is powered by 220 volts and bring a two-pin adapter.  if you only have a 110 volt unit, only some ships have rooms with 110 volt receptacles in their rooms.    WARNING -  if you put an adapter on a 110 volt unit and plug it into a 220 volt receptacle, it will burn up instantly. 

All Silversea ships have 110 volt receptacles in the guest cabins. 

Fire hazard?   I'm just thinking that it is less of a fire hazard if used in a tiled bathroom/area than used in an area of carpeting and softgoods?

I grew my hair out one length so that I wouldn't have to blow dry or style it, now that I am a full-time nomad and have no room or time for appliances. But, daughter has used a straightener in the past, and I know that they get HOT!!!! I think I recall the dial going up to 450 degrees or some such super high number.  Maybe thats why things like irons and the like are frowned upon in the cabin???? Tipping over if left on?  

Edited by kimanjo

Thanks everyone - and top tip about the adapter. Mine have a UK plug so will be OK in the 220v socket but I do need an adapter and I might have forgotten it because I don't usually bother with ANY appliances.. They do have a safety cutout and switch off automatically if left unattended so can't accidentally be left on!

But have also been experimenting with tying my hair up and that's probably the easiest option of all!

5 hours ago, Mocamps said:

Thanks everyone - and top tip about the adapter. Mine have a UK plug so will be OK in the 220v socket but I do need an adapter and I might have forgotten it because I don't usually bother with ANY appliances.. They do have a safety cutout and switch off automatically if left unattended so can't accidentally be left on!

But have also been experimenting with tying my hair up and that's probably the easiest option of all!

I know its not glamorous when we tie up   ( or plait) our hair and go, but boy does my husband appreciate the wash and go ease that comes with it!  I have a friend who spends a hour on her hair, and she looks just as lovely on the days we would golf and she just pulls it back.  

• Like 1