Viking Mars Information

Fieldofdreams

We just returned from the Baltic / Midnight Sun 28 night cruise. Ship was very nice. Every member of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The room stewards were fabulous. They anticipated needs we didn't know we had. They provided bookmarks for the books we had on the  table and after having a bucket of ice delivered to our room, it was refreshed every day without asking. We ate in both Manfredi's and the Chef's Table twice each. Chef's table was very good Manfredi's was ok. The Restaurant was hit or miss.  Apparently, there was a new Head Chef, so I assume some of the kinks will be worked out in short order. I think this was only the second or third "real" cruise on the Mars. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we have 3 ocean and 2 river cruises booked.

• Like 6

We were the first group to sail on her on the Chairman's cruise back in May from Rome to Barcelona. Very impressed with the ship. Service was outstanding. All the food was great as well. Our meal in the Chef's Table was simply amazing. In case you aren't aware, they do a rotating (fixed) menu - changes every few days. Manfredi's was really good also. We LOVE Mamsen's. Definitely try the waffles. Really nice open-faced sandwiches for lunch also. I think my favorite place on the ship is the Wintergarden. Plan on being there at least once for afternoon tea, since they serve nice mini-sandiwches and the scones are well worth it! Check out the spa too - beautiful facility. Lots of small, cozy nook areas around the ship for just sitting and relaxing or reading, or even contributing to a jigsaw puzzle in progress during the trip. We like the quiet and peaceful atmosphere that Viking offers. NO photographers bothering you for pictures either. 

Enjoy!

21 hours ago, BigBee51 said:

hey provided bookmarks for the books we had on the  table

Same here! How very nice of them. I echo many of your thoughts. Staff was SO friendly and helpful throughout the cruise. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

We were on the Chairman's Invitational Cruise from Rome to Barcelona, the second group to sail on the Mars immediately following the Chairman's Naming Voyage from Valletta to Rome. We enjoyed the serene elegant uncrowded spaces, the unpretentious relaxed atmosphere and the attentive service that characterize the Viking Ocean voyages. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

We were the first group to sail on her on the Chairman's cruise back in May from Rome to Barcelona. Very impressed with the ship. Service was outstanding. All the food was great as well. Our meal in the Chef's Table was simply amazing. In case you aren't aware, they do a rotating (fixed) menu - changes every few days. Manfredi's was really good also. We LOVE Mamsen's. Definitely try the waffles. Really nice open-faced sandwiches for lunch also. I think my favorite place on the ship is the Wintergarden. Plan on being there at least once for afternoon tea, since they serve nice mini-sandiwches and the scones are well worth it! Check out the spa too - beautiful facility. Lots of small, cozy nook areas around the ship for just sitting and relaxing or reading, or even contributing to a jigsaw puzzle in progress during the trip. We like the quiet and peaceful atmosphere that Viking offers. NO photographers bothering you for pictures either. 

Enjoy!

Same here! How very nice of them. I echo many of your thoughts. Staff was SO friendly and helpful throughout the cruise. 

Thank you OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

We were on the Chairman's Invitational Cruise from Rome to Barcelona, the second group to sail on the Mars immediately following the Chairman's Naming Voyage from Valletta to Rome. We enjoyed the serene elegant uncrowded spaces, the unpretentious relaxed atmosphere and the attentive service that characterize the Viking Ocean voyages. 

Thank you JDincalif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

the second group to sail on the Mars immediately following the Chairman's Naming Voyage from Valletta to Rome.

Wonder how many were on that Naming Voyage? I forgot about that.  I will always think of the Chairman's cruise, however, as the true maiden voyage since I suspect the Valletta to Rome was likely a limited number of people. Doesn't ultimately matter. It was a unique opportunity to sail on a brand new ship. 

7 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wonder how many were on that Naming Voyage? I forgot about that.  I will always think of the Chairman's cruise, however, as the true maiden voyage since I suspect the Valletta to Rome was likely a limited number of people. Doesn't ultimately matter. It was a unique opportunity to sail on a brand new ship. 

Were there any problems booking the Chefs Table / Manfredis and/or excursions when you sailed either before cruise or once onboard?

1 hour ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Were there any problems booking the Chefs Table / Manfredis and/or excursions when you sailed either before cruise or once onboard?

While reservations were somewhat limited prior to embarkation, we had no issues reserving acceptable dining times and excursions once onboard. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

None. But then our sailing was only at about 70% capacity. I booked Manfredi's before the sailing - not sure anymore on Chef's Table. I think we waited till we boarded being that we didn't know which menu they were serving on which days. 

Booking shore excursions, as you likely already know, is tied in with your room category as to when you can do it. We had been upgraded to a PV1 category, and so had pretty early access to excursions. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

None. But then our sailing was only at about 70% capacity. I booked Manfredi's before the sailing - not sure anymore on Chef's Table. I think we waited till we boarded being that we didn't know which menu they weThankre serving on which days. 

Booking shore excursions, as you likely already know, is tied in with your room category as to when you can do it. We had been upgraded to a PV1 category, and so had pretty early access to excursions. 

Thank you, pretty consistent with what I have been reading on Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

This all sound really promising - we are going on our first Viking cruise on 27th September - Trade Routes of the Middle Ages on Viking Mars & are feeling very excited about it.  We’ve cruised quite a lot on various other lines but this will be the most we’ve ever paid and have high expectations 🤞🤞

• 10 months later...

We just returned from that cruise on that beautiful ship. Loved every minute! Ship, crew, services, food, music, excursions all good. I wish I’d gotten to the Spa, Sauna, ice house, infinity pool, more lectures. So much to enjoy. Also wish we’d done a pre-excursion in Barcelona. Next time! I’m sure you’ll love it as much as we did😁.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2023 at 12:01 PM, Emmz said:

We just returned from that cruise on that beautiful ship. Loved every minute! Ship, crew, services, food, music, excursions all good. I wish I’d gotten to the Spa, Sauna, ice house, infinity pool, more lectures. So much to enjoy. Also wish we’d done a pre-excursion in Barcelona. Next time! I’m sure you’ll love it as much as we did😁.

The question is almost 11 months old. 

We were on Viking Mars in April. The wait staff and room stewards were exemplary. Good service combined with friendliness.

The food was very good. There were some things things I did not like but this was most likely personal taste. The scrambled egg is amazing   - I had it every day. The filet mignons grilled on the pool deck were the best steaks I have ever had. The swordfish from Manfredis was stellar.

• Like 4