The end of our 28 day voyage on QM2

moses0

I thought perhaps it would be helpful to some to give y’all some of my thoughts and observations. I had read so many negative comments prior to our trip I was even looking for ways to cancel without penelty. I am thankful I did not cancel.

It was the first time that we used Luggage Forwarding and I’m glad we did. Saved us a lot of hassle. Mind you we are not home yet and hope the luggage returns as efficiently as it went out.

Arrived in NYC the day before and got a cab to the terminal. I braced myself for an horrendous time at Brooklyn but it was not so. Boarding was smooth and we were in our room together with our forwarded luggage in 45 minutes.

We had steeled ourselves to expect strict Covid restrictions so we were ready for the mandatory mask order and complied albeit not really willingly. Our crossing was calm and lovely with only one hiccup as a passenger had to be airlifted off shortly after we had set sail. The second day If my memory serves me well.

We were so blessed to be back on QM2 and looked forward to our voyage to the UK and around the Mediterranean.  Happy that my wife and I could have some quality time together.

We rented a car in Southampton and made our own way around the New Forest at our first port call.  Great day.

The time in the Mediterranean was lovely. Calm seas sunny weather meant we could spend time on the deck doing nothing but reading a book and relaxing.

Took Cunard excursions at each port except Southampton. Least favorite place Rome most favorite Lisbon.  Cunard did an adequate job with excursions.

I could go on more about our adventure but I think it  might be more useful if I report on some of the things you ask about.

Food is excellent for the most part with an occasional dud.

Its a nice experience to be waited on in the Britannia Restaurant but in Kings Court you will find a much greater selection. We particularly enjoy breakfast in Britannia.

Entertainment is sometimes excellent but mostly average.

Afternoon tea is wonderful especially when the harpist is playing.

Covid and Masks. Started out mandatory then after Southampton rules were change and masks became a matter of choice. Now most people do not wear masks.  I have not heard of a lot of covid  cases. I think the most likely place to catch covid would be on an excursion via bus. The rules are becoming more relaxed and one can even serve your self  drinks in Kings Court now.

Surprises. More young people, teenagers and children than I have ever seen before. Children in Queens Ballroom on the dance floor!

Dress. Most people comply to the dress code. Most look nice, some spectacular, some flamboyant, some men flamboyant bordering on the ridiculous.

Wi-FI. Lower your expectations. You are at sea. Usually it does not work in the cabin. I manage elsewhere and although I get bumped off often I just reconnect. I have been able to stay in touch with home and accomplish anything I needed to do. I pay $20 to connect but I have $80 credit so It’s not cost much.

Ship. QM2 is a wonderful Ocean Liner. I do not mind the quirky lay out and find my way around easily. Although the seas have been mostly smooth it is not always so and I would not want to cross an Ocean on a cruise ship.   She is still mostly in good shape but showing signs of wear. Yes there is rust on our balcony and she is looking a little tired. Time for a little more TLC.

Over all it has been a wonderful voyage.  I have photo’s of glorious sunsets.

I’d be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you MosesO for your excellent review, it very much mirrors our experience on recent May 8th crossing. Like you we felt "We were so blessed to be back on QM2." One question, while there were nights the Royal Court entertainment did not suite our taste, we did find the QM2 singers & dancers outstanding. What was your impression. 

Thanks

Jack

18 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thank you MosesO for your excellent review, it very much mirrors our experience on recent May 8th crossing. Like you we felt "We were so blessed to be back on QM2." One question, while there were nights the Royal Court entertainment did not suite our taste, we did find the QM2 singers & dancers outstanding. What was your impression. 

Thanks

Jack

Ah well you see I have an issue with singers and dancers. As a child my parents abused me by vacationing at Blackpool every year and forcing me to attend a "show" with them every night. I was scarred for life. Same thing with ballroom dancing. Tower ball room Blackpool  for hours. 

Seriously my wife loved them and the one time I forced myself to attend i thought they were very good. Just not my cup a tea. 

Edited by moses0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, moses0 said:

Ah well you see I have an issue with singers and dancers. As a child my parents abused me by vacationing at Blackpool every year and forcing me to attend a "show" with them every night. I was scarred for life. Same thing with ballroom dancing. Tower ball room Blackpool  for hours. 

Seriously my wife loved them and the one time I forced myself to attend i thought they were very good. Just not my cup a tea. 

And did you meet Wallace the Lion?

• Haha 1

Thanks for your interesting review of this longer round trip QM cruise. 

Pleased to read that you enjoyed a day touring in the New Forest. Such a lovely area right on the doorstep of Southampton. We have had a couple of great stays pre cruise in country hotels with wonderful gardens. Did you visit Beaulieu village or the Motor Museum? We found there were a number of donkeys sedately roaming the village and one had firmly parked himself in the entrance porch of the Montagu Arms…and wasn’t about to move for any guests! 

16 minutes ago, Petulia said:

Thanks for your interesting review of this longer round trip QM cruise. 

Pleased to read that you enjoyed a day touring in the New Forest. Such a lovely area right on the doorstep of Southampton. We have had a couple of great stays pre cruise in country hotels with wonderful gardens. Did you visit Beaulieu village or the Motor Museum? We found there were a number of donkeys sedately roaming the village and one had firmly parked himself in the entrance porch of the Montagu Arms…and wasn’t about to move for any guests! 

Did not do the Motor Museum. Roamed around a couple of the villages and enjoyed the lovely countryside 

• Like 1

Just now, moses0 said:

Dunno about that but always went to the Tower Circus. Was he there?

Do you not know Marriott Edgar's seminal work, Albert and the Lion, particularly as narrated by Stanley Holloway?

There's a famous seaside place called Blackpool
That's noted for fresh air and fun
And Mr. And Mrs. Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert, their son.
A fine little lad were young Albert,
All dressed in his best, quite a swell.
He'd a stick with an 'orse's 'ead 'andle;
The finest that Woolworth's could sell.
They didn't think much to the ocean,
The waves they were piddlin' and small.
There were no wrecks and nobody drownded,
'Fact, nothin' to laugh at at all!
So, seeking for further amusement,
They paid, and went into the zoo,
Where they'd lions and tigers and camels
And cold ale and sandwiches, too.
There were one great big lion called Wallace...

It doesn't end well for Albert. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Do you not know Marriott Edgar's seminal work, Albert and the Lion, particularly as narrated by Stanley Holloway?

oh i remember that now Its hilarious.  poor Albert 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Just googled it lol

8 hours ago, techteach said:

Oh my what a tale. It would make for good conversation in a middle school class of children. Who is at fault for Albert being eaten? What was the author’s intent?…and on and on.

I did once do that. I read it in (mildly religious) assembly at the academic girls' secondary school I taught in. I think I told them to work out the moral for themselves, other, obviously, than it being unwise to poke lions in the ear. I had a lion, a cap, and a stick as visual aids and the girls adored it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Thanks for reminding us of that. The first time I saw Stanley Holloway in person was in a concert in Toronto a long time ago - probably in the late 1960s.  Any time I hear or read that work since I think of that day and what a great performer Stanley was.

• Like 1