Dyson Air Wrap question from DW

Whinenowine

So DW got one of these (hair stylers) in the last year and swears by it.  We brought it on the Edge earlier this yr and she couldn't get it to work consistently (maybe due to the voltage, maybe something specific to our room?).  We're on the Millie later this month and wondering if it's worth lugging up to Alaska.  Given Millie is so much older than the Edge I'm not sure the wiring can handle it.  Anyone in the know have any ideas?  It's more like a dryer (not an iron) and security didn't have any issues with it on the Edge.

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

So DW got one of these (hair stylers) in the last year and swears by it.  We brought it on the Edge earlier this yr and she couldn't get it to work consistently (maybe due to the voltage, maybe something specific to our room?).  We're on the Millie later this month and wondering if it's worth lugging up to Alaska.  Given Millie is so much older than the Edge I'm not sure the wiring can handle it.  Anyone in the know have any ideas?  It's more like a dryer (not an iron) and security didn't have any issues with it on the Edge.

Although mine has worked on several Celebrity ships, it did not work on the Millennium last August.

38 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Don't recall the wattage but isn't the bathroom outlet mounted high up handle more wattage?

Yes I'd think it would be, due to hair dryers/etc...but I'm not sure.  On the Edge it worked fine for a few days and then just stopped working--nothing else stopped, just the Dyson.  Then we got home and it worked fine again.  It's a lot to lug for nuttin'.....but please don't sell DW I said that! 😉

1 hour ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Although mine has worked on several Celebrity ships, it did not work on the Millennium last August.

Thanks, yeah that's my fear. 

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

--nothing else stopped, just the Dyson. 

By that, are you saying that other items worked in the same outlet in which the Dyson failed?  Did you subsequently try the Dyson again after other objects DID work in that outlet, IF they did? 

Depending upon the ship, there may be an outlet in the bathroom that is low current only, though those are clearly marked (used to say something like "For Shavers Only") if they still have them.  But you'd know immediately if you tried to use one of those.

I had the same problem on Apex earlier this year but then also tried using a hair straightener and that stopped as well. Had to send both to the engineers for the day to “fix”. Dyson never did work in any of the outlets in the room but at least the straightener did.  Needless to say I will not be bringing it back on board any ship, it’s not worth the cost of the Dyson to have it blow and never work again. 

37 minutes ago, canderson said:

By that, are you saying that other items worked in the same outlet in which the Dyson failed?  Did you subsequently try the Dyson again after other objects DID work in that outlet, IF they did? 

Depen

Yeah everything else worked from same outlet, but the Dyson no longer worked from any outlet...thought we'd killed it but when we got back home it worked fine (thankfully).

3 minutes ago, Martini Queenie said:

I had the same problem on Apex earlier this year but then also tried using a hair straightener and that stopped as well. Had to send both to the engineers for the day to “fix”. Dyson never did work in any of the outlets in the room but at least the straightener did.  Needless to say I will not be bringing it back on board any ship, it’s not worth the cost of the Dyson to have it blow and never work again. 

Yes indeed...that's my fear.  I used to think the Dysons were expensive....then I looked at the pricing on our Celebrity shore excursions!   🙂