Fort Lauderdale to Key West - do you lose US cell service?

kywildcatfanone

We are going on a cruise in October leaving FLL and first stop the next day is Key West.  Turns out our college football game is a night game, and I know the internet service on the ship people are saying is spotty (Celebrity Infinity).  Does anyone know if the cruise time between FLL and Key West your cell signal (in our case AT&T) remains active or does it switch to some kind of sea cell connection? Just curious if I can watch the game on my phone without there being an issue with overcharges due to switching off AT&T for some sea cell service.

9 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Does anyone know if the cruise time between FLL and Key West your cell signal (in our case AT&T) remains active or does it switch to some kind of sea cell connection? Just curious if I can watch the game on my phone without there being an issue with overcharges due to switching off AT&T for some sea cell service.

Yes-- you will lose land based cell service. The ship will travel several miles off the coast but cell service will disappear not long after leaving FLL and switch over to the stronger signal of the ship's cell  network (which can be very expensive and slow). 

You could roll the dice on the ship's wifi to see if you can stream it (most likely wont work well), but the Infinity has satellite television and you should be able to have them put it on in a bar if it is being broadcast on a major network.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1