Facial recognition

Arlopop

Does anyone know if Regent has completed the transition to facial recognition for passengers on all ships instead of cards to reboard in ports? It’s my understanding they did a trial run, but I haven’t heard if they’ve adopted it or, if so, whether they are using it fleet wide as yet.

44 minutes ago, Arlopop said:

Does anyone know if Regent has completed the transition to facial recognition for passengers on all ships instead of cards to reboard in ports? It’s my understanding they did a trial run, but I haven’t heard if they’ve adopted it or, if so, whether they are using it fleet wide as yet.

It was used on May 21st splendor cruise 

I actually thought the old card system was faster.  By the time they aim the camera to adjust to different people's heights and the time it takes to recognize seemed alot slower than the cards.  

• Like 5

They were using a facial recognition system with temperature check to enter the senior facility where my mother lives.  It was excruciatingly slow, and often required more than one attempt to be recognized.  I also had to bend down and get my face in exactly the right spot for it to work.  Hopefully whatever technology Regent is using is vastly better.

35 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

They were using a facial recognition system with temperature check to enter the senior facility where my mother lives.  It was excruciatingly slow, and often required more than one attempt to be recognized.  I also had to bend down and get my face in exactly the right spot for it to work.  Hopefully whatever technology Regent is using is vastly better.

Well..my husband is tall and I’m short but it went ok for us. 

• Like 1

On the Navigator in May, they also used facial recognition to identify close contacts of those that tested positive for COVID.  For example, a gentleman I spoke with said he got a call to report to the medical facility because he was sitting next to someone in the theater that tested positive. 

They began to use the technology a couple of days in, then it stopped around mid-cruise. I think (purely my hunch) that they used it early over the course of several ports until they had a good “database” of the bulk of passengers’ biometrics.  It also did slow down the the embarkation and disembarkation processes, sometimes significantly. 

I agree,  the facial was slower when we were on splendor last month.  I never seemed to nail the oval the right way, not sure why.  One passenger had a bit of medical issue and getting his head in the position stopped the line. I don’t think him and his wife were happy about this and they should have scanned his card.