Best Outdoor Area for Glacier Bay on Signature Class Ships?

BigMattT

We're heading to Alaska shortly on Eurodam, and we'd like to heed the advice of not staying solely on our cabin balcony for Glacier Bay scenic cruising.

What's your favorite public outdoor viewing area on Signature Class ships for Glacier Bay?

From what I understand, often the bow is opened but may be very crowded/loud for such a peaceful setting?

Alternately, has anyone been successful in organizing one of those private viewing events that groups occasionally hold in the deck 4 bow area?

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

High outside deck. Bow is also good. 

Noted.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Doubt they would allow a private party at the bow on Glacier Bay day.

Since Signature Class ships have two-level bows (deck 5 and crew-only deck 4), there have apparently been cruises with private viewing events using the deck 4 area in Glacier Bay. Most recently, it appears a Sail with Seth group did one: very positively reviewed.

Forward on Deck 5 is superior, if the Captain allows that deck to be open.  A couple of benches along the bulkhead for seating and the Hotel Department will probably set up a refreshment table with drinks and, maybe, pastries.  Too crowded?  I doubt that.  

• Like 1

As a person of short stature, I never have good luck with bow viewing. Even if I secure a good spot early on, I am stuck in one place and it is not practical to move about if there is a large crowd. So the upper outside areas on decks 10 and 11 are favored for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

As a person of short stature, I never have good luck with bow viewing. Even if I secure a good spot early on, I am stuck in one place and it is not practical to move about if there is a large crowd. So the upper outside areas on decks 10 and 11 are favored for me.

I never thought the views from the bow on Deck 4 was worth the effort to get to that area.  The higher decks on most ships provide a better view.  The forward outside decks on decks where the suites are located (Decks 6/7?) offer excellent views and are usually not found by many fellow guests.