How Silhouette coped with an almost full ship(93%capacity).

upwarduk

Tuesday

Day at Sea,

First we listened to Eddy Jenkins, who I think is a superb speaker. In his lectures 10 things you didn’t know about ——-.

Not many lecturers stand away from the lectern, as they read from their notes.

Eddy stood close to the centre of the stage.

This backdrop was for a later lecture, I didn’t take a shot of the Art lecture.

We then looked at the shops as we had non refundable OBC This was from Celebrity, as they reduced fares in June, when they weren’t keeping cabins on deck 6 for isolation.

We went to The Porch for our lunch, but ate far too much, so suffered at evening meal.

Wednesday 

Gibraltar 

We arrived in the dark, 7 am We have to be back at 1.30, for 2 pm sail away.

Late last night the venue of our afternoon tea was changed to the Sunborn Yatcht hotel, which didn’t have the wonderful views as advertised. Many people were complaining and I know at least one couple who had a partial refund.

We had 45 minutes for the afternoon tea. They had me down as Lactose intolerant, so the excursion department had passed the messages on.

I had scones, but they were very dry.

DCDFBE0C-8772-4A82-93D0-C425F1B6717A.thumb.jpeg.f615e1713b5ca2240560de7f38909a76.jpeg

We then went from north to south of the Rock to Europa point, through quite a few tunnels.B4CD94C6-098A-4264-A1AE-FAE32D48AD04.thumb.jpeg.c75c2f71285b1a96ce5927f60e6cc1c6.jpeg

The Rock.

5657F098-FF83-4DEB-8CE7-597687244D19.thumb.jpeg.4b265068582f1117c6fe27d435bdcef1.jpeg

Town gate.

1A918B64-5023-48B1-B1E4-49EA29867E09.thumb.jpeg.a7e19dbacf55ec71bde333d8abf69af4.jpeg

Recycled sea water being returned to the sea. It is used for flushing toilets.

06E0FFD6-4F8A-4C9B-84CC-7F5CF51EC246.thumb.jpeg.61e50849ecbefb2dc2b9f6d13b0b44d5.jpeg

Mosque at Europa point.

86F4C3F6-F1C4-46D6-9A41-4198990B38BB.thumb.jpeg.7f6017a48a735390258a7da2f30d8350.jpeg

88141BFF-FFD0-47FC-8006-0529EA254461.thumb.jpeg.de817f01b353392bab6c942025deddf5.jpeg

The summit of the cable car.

We didn’t go any where near the Apes.

I was surprised that cars drive on the same side of the road as the rest of Europe, even though it is part of UK.

Unfortunately, the Straights were misty, so we couldn’t see across to Morocco.

9ECB1125-5C53-43F7-A75C-365AFFDC503B.jpeg

Most southerly lighthouse in Europe.

As we left Gibraltar, Captain Michael informed us that Southampton is 1792 nautical miles away and the temperature will be 22 degrees tomorrow as we turn north.

Edited by upwarduk

I'm enjoying reading your review of Silhouette, I can see why attention to details such as milk labelling, could be frustrating.

That being said, Gibraltar is not part of the UK.  It is one of Britain's fourteen British Overseas Territories which are self-governing but reliant on the UK to execute foreign relations and defence.  You can visit the Government of Gibraltar website here https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/ which details their approach to domestic policy, such as taxation and residential rights.  This independence is why the British Overseas Territories can set favourable tax conditions for individuals and businesses.

Note, British Overseas Territories are different to Crown Dependencies.

More info here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories for those with a casual interest in governance and devolved administration.

Theatre Shows.

This is where I think Celebrity Excel.

Day 1 Jay McGee.Jay who fronted the chart topping Rockin Berries.7&9 pm 

Day 2 Time change due to the live Lionesses game, 8.30 & 10 .30 pm Remained for the remainder of the cruise.  Celebrity Showtime Cosmopolitan.

Day 3 The Ultimate Boyband

Day 4 Broadway Cabaret

Day 5 Lisa Jones Singer who has appeared on ‘The Voice.’

Day 6 JakubTrasak violin player

Day 7 Backbeat Beatles

Day 8. Mark Donoghue Singer, & arranger

Day 9. Ben Richard’s

Day 10 Production Show Life

Day  11 Matt Mc Gurk

Day 12 Elton John

Day13 Celebrity Showtime Euphoria

• Like 1

I have copied the above theatre shows from my ‘Daily’s.’

I have just realised that the Little Eagles are not listed. If I remember correctly, they left the ship in Cadiz, so must have performed very early in the itinerary.

I think I have read that they will be back on the ship at te end of August and also for the TA, so they obviously proved very popular.

https://littleeagle.co.uk/

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

Mask wearing.

I saw a few groups wearing masks, but never did I see any member of staff ask us to put them on to enter the Theatre. 
Another area where rules were relaxed on Silhouette was the mid cruise testing that we were informed would happen for calls to Spain & Italy, if we were not boosted. This apparently was CelebrityCruises rules, not Spain or Italy.
Italy still have the law that you have to wear a mask on public transport. In fact the driver on our bus in Cagliari wouldn’t start the bus until all passengers were wearing a mask. This delayed the bus, while those without  masks borrowed from passengers who had spares.

At a Q&A session, the Food & Beverage Manager, indicated that they hoped the staff will soon no longer be required to wear a mask. This would certainly be a bonus from my point of view, as I struggle to hear people when they are talking through a mask. Added to this, accents, I really couldn’t understand many staff.

4D829310-AD1C-4EDA-9AF7-0C94F7D8BD06.thumb.jpeg.604a0da4108d461daf07070c7be549c2.jpeg

I was talking to a couple on our return journey from Gibraltar, who were not boosted and they reported that they had not had any extra testing. This would have been at a cost of $59.00 per test, so obviously they were very grateful.

On the last Friday morning, we both took a COVID test, from the box that I had taken with me.

Fortunately, we were both negative, so we were able to inform our son that we would be staying with him in Surrey, before we made our way north to West Yorkshire.

I didn’t think we had picked COVID up, but there were certainly more passengers coughing in the second week. I had heard that the doctor was caring for 40 passengers in their own rooms, they are no longer put into isolation.

I however believe that many were not reporting coughs to the doctor.

• Thanks 2

I rarely have seen a review like this.  Many more negatives than I would have expected.  There is no sense here that you enjoyed anything about this cruise so I wonder why did you go?  Sorry but JMHO.  Do you take responsibility for any of choices that you made.  I too am mobility challenged and never rely on tour descriptions.  Again, very surprised about the tone of your review.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, islabahia said:

so I wonder why did you go?

This cruise was booked well before the Pandemic, when I was more mobile than I am now. You never ever know how a cruise turns out until you have been on it. If you look at my cruising history, you will see that I have done many cruises, as well,  as many with Celebrity. 

We also went round Britain in August 2021, when there was  only 30% capacity, so there is a stark difference in the general demeanour  of the functioning of the ship, hence the title of the review.

We spoke to a lady and her Grandson , who had lost their luggage. She was saying Celebrity had lost her luggage, so she would never ever book with Celebrity again.

I certainly saw a few bags on the pavement as we left Southampton.

I think I can honestly say that my attitude about Celebrity changed with the daily email asking us to fill in our vaccine status. This had been done weeks before hand and validated, but the emails kept coming.

My attitude changed too, when the Muster drill was a farce. At no time were we given a link to watch a video as we were last year. We were not allowed to go to our cabin, so I have no idea if the video was on TV. 
When we attended Muster, we were not asked any questions, our name was just ticked off a list. Other people have told me they were asked if they knew how to put a life jacket on.

I even wonder if this is legal. I know many of us in the past criticised the way we were crowded into a room, but at least we were prepared for the worst.

17 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

My attitude changed too, when the Muster drill was a farce. At no time were we given a link to watch a video as we were last year. We were not allowed to go to our cabin, so I have no idea if the video was on TV.

Wasn't that all covered in the app, or do you not have access to the app?

It all seemed to be very well done last year when we were on Silhouette shortly after you were there...

Thank you for your interesting  review  I'm always grateful to passengers who take the time to give their thoughts on a cruise from their POV.

Glad you enjoyed the shows and congrats on getting to Elite +

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thank you for your interesting  review  I'm always grateful to passengers who take the time to give their thoughts on a cruise from their POV.

Glad you enjoyed the shows and congrats on getting to Elite +

Huh. Elite + will no doubt be wrong too

Edited by swjumbo

12 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Huh. Elite + will no doubt be wrong too

Quite correct, they hadn’t added our ‘Go Green ‘ points.
But I messaged CelebrityCruises Captain’s Club on FB and that has now been corrected. 
Jack, Sam & now Sue do a great job.

• Like 2

I am enjoying your report and the photos. Thank you for sharing your cruise experience.  I've never cruised with Celebrity nor have I been to any of the ports you are visiting, so I am learning a lot from- for lack of a better choise of phrase- your adventures and misadventures. 

• Like 1

On the next to last Sea day, we went on a Back Stage tour. We gathered in Quasar, where we were given a glass of bubbly and introduced to 5 of the dance staff who were to show us round.

It was explained how the aerialist from Ukraine now lived permanently on the ship. He wouldn’t be sent home to Ukraine when he finished his contract, otherwise he would have to sign up for the Military.

Well done Celebrity.

A78941B6-1BE7-49F2-B097-BE78A47FB88E.thumb.jpeg.090396c56453d60de253a128bc6aaa46.jpeg

827F8712-CCE6-430D-94C7-4B3F07F1D1F1.thumb.jpeg.7e3f40afad369e78d4ddfd6950717bb4.jpeg

7228C979-1508-4E9E-962B-2F48EEDADB07.thumb.jpeg.eb466289a0be38c891c4f1001cf9c9af.jpeg

A9A8637B-183D-4E74-97E6-C4C64DEFAA67.thumb.jpeg.eae2435afddf87bfd0c37ef2f09264c6.jpeg

2812348B-CC60-41F2-A8FC-5A7B7352AAA9.thumb.jpeg.55988f1cbfd326add1981625f4d9b8a7.jpeg

I recently saw some photos of a Ship’s tour.

This included the Laundry room, which was piled high with table cloths.

It reminded me that the table  cloths were changed after every set of passengers had vacated their table at breakfast and replaced and relaid before anyone was given a seat at that table. A massive laundry bill to try to prevent the spread of COVID. 

Fortunately, my husband and I tested negative on the last Sea day, so I was able to tell my son that we would visit them in Surrey before our return to West Yorkshire.

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experiences on your latest cruise.

I found it informative & enlightening.

To the snide comments you have received I'm glad you have treated them to the contempt they deserve.

• Like 6