Ardastra Gardens

blade3

It's about a mile and a half to two miles or so each way plus about a half mile up a hill. How good of shape are you in? Or I can take their bus (jitney) and just walk the half mile. You'll have the sun beating on you and will get quite hot.

Although we have walked to Ardastra Gardens from the ship, I wouldn't do it again, nor would I recommend it.  The walk itself was not taxing.  But the neighbourhood approaching the zoo is a little on the sketchy side and had DH and me thinking we might not have been so wise to walk there on our own.  We are not the trembling types afraid of our own shadows or people that are different from us.  We both grew up in the Metro D.C. area, went to pretty rough high schools back in the day and are generally "street savvy".  There was just a subtly hostile vibe in that neighbourhood that made our "Spidey senses tingle" and had me thinking of all the warnings I had heard about going "over the hill" in Nassau, and wondering if this area was like that. Leaving the zoo, we took a cab over to the Fish Fry for lunch, then back to the ship, and will do that again next time we visit it.

Edited by ShakyBeef

There are 2 bus lines that travel the route to Ardastra Gardens...#10 and #10A...The #10A is the bus that the school children use to and from school/home, and circles the Island.  If you are just going to the Gardens, make sure you are on the #10 bus...We used the #10A once and got a nice tour...good and not so good.  The buses are marked accordingly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blade3 said:

Can you walk to Ardastra Gardens from the cruise ship? Is the walk through a safe area? We are walkers, but older.

I am going to say no to walking and no to bus as well. Best to take a taxi.
We really enjoyed the gardens, peacocks and the flamingo parade when we went.