Amsterdam Central Station waterside entrance?

After my cruise ends in Amsterdam, I plan on walking to Central Station to catch the EuroStar to London.  Years ago, I walked the reverse direction from the station to the ship and was able to exit the station at the rear entrance by the water and use a nice sidewalk to the cruise ship.  Is that walking route still in place so that I can walk along the water and enter the station on there back side?

12 minutes ago, Ine said:

Yes you still can. There have been some changes but the northern (IJzijde) is still open.

Check this map: https://mijnstation.nl/app/uploads/2019/04/Plattegrond_Amsterdam-_Centraal_2019.pdf

Thank you Ine.  I appreciate the fast response.  Hopefully the weather is good on the day I want to do my walk.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

After my cruise ends in Amsterdam, I plan on walking to Central Station to catch the EuroStar to London.  Years ago, I walked the reverse direction from the station to the ship and was able to exit the station at the rear entrance by the water and use a nice sidewalk to the cruise ship.  Is that walking route still in place so that I can walk along the water and enter the station on there back side?

Yes indeed  - I can also confirm.  We just recently did that.  There is some slight construction going on but we have no issues at all.   And there are escalators and lifts to go up once inside the station water side.  It was an easy walk for us including dragging luggage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carlmm said:

OP, just note when you said you walked there years ago, that the whole area at the back entrance has dramatically changed over the years. Much more infrastructure and action there, now.

Thanks.  I thought that might be the case.  When I was there, construction was being done.  I looked at some YouTube videos of the station and it looks like that side is nicely done now. 

We did the walk from the Ocean and then River "terminal" area on the sidewalk to Centraal Station last April 28.  It was wide open and an easy walk on the sidewalk.  We entered midway down on the river side (northside), and then up the escalators.  Would be easy to roll bags.

Here's a shot I took approaching the Station along the river side.

1344022114_IMG_2214AMSCentraalStation-watersidelookingwest.thumb.JPG.1f5bfa38ac0df439d0810563a3f00af1.JPG

26 minutes ago, CathAndRich said:

Just be careful when you get started or you can hit a dead end.  This is taken from in front of the cruise terminal.  If you go right, instead of taking the "high road" you will need to backtrack:

image.thumb.jpeg.dbe6a39bb0f81ee68067496b98bde396.jpeg

Ah, yes. I recall coming down that ramp to the station the last time when I was coming from Centraal Station.   Thanks for the reminder, since I will be going from Ship to Station this time around.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, CathAndRich said:

Just be careful when you get started or you can hit a dead end.  This is taken from in front of the cruise terminal.  If you go right, instead of taking the "high road" you will need to backtrack:

image.thumb.jpeg.dbe6a39bb0f81ee68067496b98bde396.jpeg

You won't get lost with that dead end or make that mistake a second time heh. 

Here's an overview for anyone's future reference:

Screenshot (16).png

I now will have ample time to see how the path goes.  Our ship is returning a day early to Amsterdam because the authorities moved our canal entry time up a day.  We must now skip our stop at Zee Bruge, Belgium entirely.  We will now overnight in Amsterdam after our arrival and disembark the next day.  So I get an extra day in Amsterdam.  I am thinking I will take the train to Delft on the day we arrive rather than stay in Amsterdam, which I have already visited in a previous trip.