A request for information from Princess about the 2024 Eclipse Cruise

bladerunner6

20 hours ago, jwattle said:

Also, the ship is selling shore excursions in Mazatlan for the big day...

I just took a look at the excursions they are offering in Mazatlan that day. Looks like plenty of tours lasting only a few hours. These short ones are often offered with an early or late option. Which begs the question, how would Celebrity handle these 3000+ pax AND leave port so the OP could get his time in open waters. Looks like the OP would still be better served by organizing an independent boat hire for the day.

Edited by mom says

14 minutes ago, mom says said:

I just took a look at the excursions they are offering in Mazatlan that day. Looks like plenty of tours lasting only a few hours. These short ones are often offered with an early or late option. Which begs the question, how would Celebrity handle these pax AND leave port so the OP could get his time in open waters. Looks like the OP would still be better served by organizing an independent boat hire for the day.

I hope Celebrity wouldn't handle these pax as they are on a Princess cruise 😁

1 hour ago, mom says said:

I just took a look at the excursions they are offering in Mazatlan that day. Looks like plenty of tours lasting only a few hours. These short ones are often offered with an early or late option. Which begs the question, how would Celebrity handle these 3000+ pax AND leave port so the OP could get his time in open waters. Looks like the OP would still be better served by organizing an independent boat hire for the day.

The literally thousands of people that are booking this to see the eclipse would be better served by not porting at all and being at sea.

I am just one of thousands.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billco said:

Maybe it is just a cruise that happens to be in Mazatlan when there is a solar eclipse. Makes a good marketing ploy to call it a solar eclipse cruise. But, Princess calls it a 10-Day Mexican Riviera with Total Solar Eclipse, not a Solar Eclipse cruise. They price it about the same as the other Mexican cruises.

1) The CSR I talked to called it the Solar Eclipse cruise and was confused by it being in port on the day that matters

2) The Discovery does mostly seven day cruises with a couple of five day cruises.  This 10 day with leaving on Wednesday before the eclipse was obviously designed to put in the path of totality.

3) This cruise is more expensive because there have been no promotions available for it and it is pretty sold out so there will be no discounting 

This is clearly a Solar Eclipse Cruise but the people in marketing and planning seem to think all you have to do is just go to any spot on the centerline and bingo, you see it.

But it doesn’t happen that way. Like I said, I got rained on in 1984.

There is simply no rational reason to want to be in port on the day of the eclipse unless the weather is so bad or so good across that part of the world it makes no difference.

I have had good experiences before on eclipse cruises so I am thinking that they can change their minds and do the competent thing and serve their thousands of passengers.

And having a few thousand pissed off people (including the crew) isn’t going to help them in the long run.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billco said:

Maybe it is just a cruise that happens to be in Mazatlan when there is a solar eclipse. Makes a good marketing ploy to call it a solar eclipse cruise. But, Princess calls it a 10-Day Mexican Riviera with Total Solar Eclipse, not a Solar Eclipse cruise. They price it about the same as the other Mexican cruises.

Agreed no price “premium” - the starting “from” pricing matches all 3 of the Crown Princess’ 2024 10 night sailings and is less than the Diamond’s 1 2024 10 night Sea of Cortez sailing. It is priced less than ALL of Enchanted's 10 day Caribbean cruises for fall 2023 to spring 2024.

As there is no sailing on any other mainstream competing line, of the same length at the same time, to compare pricing with there is no way to assert a premium has been charged vs other brands. 

To the OP - this sailing is EXACTLY what Princess advertises - a cruise that stops in Mazatlan on the day of the solar eclipse. They fully intend to be in port that day. If they intended to be at sea they would structure the itinerary as such. Princess, and other tour operators will offer water based tours for potentially more optimal viewing than on the mainland,they just may not yet be bookable. Want something different? Then don’t book this cruise. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Agreed no price “premium” - the starting “from” pricing matches all 3 of the Crown Princess’ 2024 10 night sailings and is less than the Diamond’s 1 2024 10 night Sea of Cortez sailing. It is priced less than ALL of Enchanted's 10 day Caribbean cruises for fall 2023 to spring 2024.

As there is no sailing on any other mainstream competing line, of the same length at the same time, to compare pricing with there is no way to assert a premium has been charged vs other brands. 

To the OP - this sailing is EXACTLY what Princess advertises - a cruise that stops in Mazatlan on the day of the solar eclipse. They fully intend to be in port that day. If they intended to be at sea they would structure the itinerary as such. Princess, and other tour operators will offer water based tours for potentially more optimal viewing than on the mainland,they just may not yet be bookable. Want something different? Then don’t book this cruise. 

Yes.  In fact, we booked because it was a little less, and we love mazatlan!  If we see the eclipse, it's a bonus.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

1) The CSR I talked to called it the Solar Eclipse cruise and was confused by it being in port on the day that matters

2) The Discovery does mostly seven day cruises with a couple of five day cruises.  This 10 day with leaving on Wednesday before the eclipse was obviously designed to put in the path of totality.

3) This cruise is more expensive because there have been no promotions available for it and it is pretty sold out so there will be no discounting

Now I definitely agree that big businesses can make some pretty incompetent decisions but being in port in eclipse day would be one of the biggest blunders I have ever seen.

There is absolutely no rational reason and it is totally counterproductive.

11 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

The CSR I talked to called it the Solar Eclipse cruise and was confused by it being in port on the day that matters

You talked to rep at a call center. Who may or may not have ever been closer to a cruise ship than her call center cubicle, and may or may not have been employed there much longer than her orientation period. Now, if you talk to the head of operations for Princess, then you MIGHT get some degree of reliability with their answer.

I'd love to know how you know that thousands of your fellow cruisers are sailing primarily for the eclipse, and not because its one of the few longer west coast cruises at that time.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Yes.  In fact, we booked because it was a little less, and we love mazatlan!  If we see the eclipse, it's a bonus.

And for thousands of people on board, both passengers and crew, seeing the eclipse is of overwhelming importance and Mazatlan is trivial.

Missing the eclipse would be heartbreaking while missing Mazatlan would simply be a disappointment.

The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one.

3 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

And for thousands of people on board, both passengers and crew, seeing the eclipse is of overwhelming importance and Mazatlan is trivial.

Missing the eclipse would be heartbreaking while missing Mazatlan would simply be a disappointment.

Maybe you should consider alternate arrangements if your happiness is totally reliant on the exact iinerary/location/arrangements?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

It’s would seem better for you to rally for support from the people in your roll call. They will be the ones traveling with you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Maybe you should consider alternate arrangements if your happiness is totally reliant on the exact iinerary/location/arrangements?

You are making straw man arguments.

I want to see a total solar eclipse, something people have been awed by since the beginning time.

I asked this before and no one has answered, why are you so intent on greatly diminishing people’s chances of seeing this indescribable event?

2 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

I asked you and you haven’t responded, why are you so set against people having the best chance of seeing one of the most amazing things in the universe?

No one is against it.  If it all works out on the cruise, great!  If you need an ironclad guarantee, you should make alternative plans.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mom says said:

You talked to rep at a call center. Who may or may not have ever been closer to a cruise ship than her call center cubicle, and may or may not have been employed there much longer than her orientation period. Now, if you talk to the head of operations for Princess, then you MIGHT get some degree of reliability with their answer.

I'd love to know how you know that thousands of your fellow cruisers are sailing primarily for the eclipse, and not because its one of the few longer west coast cruises at that time.

Because I have been on solar eclipse cruises, because the ship has sold out so fast, because solar eclipse cruises are major news.

Because in Rexburg Sprint set up mobile towers to handle the load for eclipse viewers. Because the day of the solar eclipse eclipse in 2017 was one of the busiest days for vacation ever.

Because the dolphins leap into the air to celebrate the return of the sun. Because 12 million people saw totality in 2017 and innumerable people told me it was a life changing event.

That is a very short list.

24 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

No one is against it.  If it all works out on the cruise, great!  If you need an ironclad guarantee, you should make alternative plans.

I am not asking for an iron clad guarantee, again a straw man.

I am just asking for a best effort and porting and hoping that things will just automatically work out is not a best effort.

Only a 57% of clear skies.

That isn’t much better than a coin flip.

Alternately, here is a map of cloud cover probability.

For 4/3-4/13.

A cruise ship can move and make the odds better.  So why are you defending making the chances worse for seeing an indescribable event?

If a doctor told you a procedure only had a 57% of success but if you make some slight changes and it would go to 95% (admittedly a number I pulled out of the air for the sake of argument) wouldn’t you approve the changes?

Again, I have never said I wanted an ironclad guarantee.  I know too much to expect that.  

It is like many things I expect from people, I just want the best effort and sitting in port hoping for the best ain’t it.  And also I  was so in awe the first time around that I missed the dolphins leaping into the air celebrating the sun’s return.  I am sure I am not the only one who would enjoy this. And the 360 degree sunset effect is cooler at sea.  

Again, I ask people how is sitting at port hoping for the best better?

Edited by bladerunner6

3 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

I am just asking for a best effort and porting and hoping that things will just automatically work out is not a best effort.

A cruise ship can move and make the odds better.  So why are you defending making the chances worse for seeing an indescribable event?

If a doctor told you a procedure only had a 57% of success but if you make some slight changes and it would go to 95% (admittedly a number I pulled out of the air for the sake of argument) wouldn’t you approve the changes?

I would go with the better odds, which may not be this cruise for you!!!  I have seen eclipses: I'm old.  Not that big a deal for us.  But having a great time in mazatlan actually is, so guess what my vote is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

Ask your request on your roll call, see where your support is.

Edited by wineforhealth

12 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

I would go with the better odds, which may not be this cruise for you!!!  I have seen eclipses: I'm old.  Not that big a deal for us.  But having a great time in mazatlan actually is, so guess what my vote is?

Have you seen a total eclipse? Which one? 79,  91, 98, 2017? One in other parts of the world?

Edited by bladerunner6

4 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

Have you seen a total eclipse?

Yes.  As I said, not a big deal for us.  If it is for you, and your sanity is in jeapardy,  please make other arrangements.  I want to have tacos and beer in mazatlan.  That's why we booked the cruise.

Edited by AnyMajorCruiseDude
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Yes.  As I said, not a big deal for us.  If it is for you, and your sanity is in jeopardy,  please make other arrangements.  I want to have tacos and beer in mazatlan.  That's why we booked the cruise.

Must be the world's best tacos and world's best beer if that is the reason to book a cruise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1