Lisbon self-guided tour: Best route to Castelo Sao Jorge

We will be visiting Lisbon on 9/22 and only have from 8:00am to 6:00pm and are planning a DIY Self-Guided tour. We would like to see Rua Augusta Arch, Castelo Sao Jorge (St George Castle), take a loop on the 28E or 12E tram, and then visit the Tower and Mosteiro dos Jeronimos (monastery) in Belem. Since we want to cover so much ground, we were wondering if anyone had a recommendation about the specific route to the Castelo from Rua Augusta Arch, one of the tram stops, or from a Metro (subway) stop.

• I read that one can take the Elevador do Castelo from Baixa, the Elevador Baixa, and then walk uphill to the Castelo, but I don't see exactly how to do that. I've been trying to determine the route, but haven't been able to do it from the online maps.
  • Is the "Elevador" experience worth the complicated route?
  • Would it be wiser to take the tram loop and then catch the #737 bus that goes closer to the Castelo? 

Suggestions?

Thank you, Diana

Edited by Cruizer Diana
Clarity

I read that one can take the Elevador do Castelo from Baixa, the Elevador Baixa, and then walk uphill to the Castelo

you would actually be close to this elevador when at the Rua Augusto Arch, but the elevador do castelo is actually the first of two elevadors, most likely why you cannot find the walking route. it isn't actually complicated as the streets are small and close together. It is basically elevador, walk 1 to 2 minutes, elevador, walk uphill.

We were staying on Rua da Prata, running parallel to Rua Augusto and used both elevadors.

Less than a 5 minute walk from the RA Arch, (off to the left as you face the sea from the arch) First you go to the elevador do castelo and go to the top where you exit on Rua Madalena.  Cross the street,   turn left and walk a few yards until you see the signage for the Pingo Doce supermarket on your right.(Pingo Dolce Chão do Loureiro reviews on TA mentioning elevador) Go to the entrance to the building and enter.  To your left in the interior hallway  is the supermarket entrance, but ahead on the rear wall you will see an elevator and you take this up.  You exit next to  a restaurant with a panoramic view terrace.  From there you need to go uphill on foot to the castle.  We did it, but be warned that  although the distance to the castle wasn't huge, it was an incredibly steep walk which we would not want to repeat, so I would recommend taking the bus to the castle entrance unless you want some exercise. We did that on our first Lisbon visit and it was so much easier.  You could always take the bus up and walk/use the elevators to come down again if you wanted something different.

We used that supermarket quite a bit during our aparthotel stay as the elevador was very close, as is the supermarket when exiting at the top on Madalena.  And if you want a snack, almost opposite the castelo elevador exit on Madalena , on a corner is .As bifanas do Afonso.  We only bought a locaL snack  there one time to try it but it is very highly rated and there was usually a line outside any time we passed. It is takeout only.

Actually much nicer and actually on Rua Augusta is Fabrica da nata which we very highly recommend.  There is another branch but you will be closest to this one.  Can highly recommend the natas (which you will see on conveyor belts going around the shop) and the super tasty cheese and ham toasties.(I definitely recommend these)  It has great reviews on TA

And should you want to see one of the most famous wall art murals in Lisbon, continue (still left from the elevador)  on Rua Madalena (only a teeny tiny bit further  than the Pingo Doce supermarket turn off), is a the famous Fado Vadio mural.  This is definitely worth a look as the staircase and walls around it are also "art".  Tiny little street and staircase, and  not the easiest to find,  so ask someone to point it out.Escadinhas de São Cristóvão 14

And don't miss The Praça do Comércio either.  It is barely 5 minutes walk from the Augusta Arch.  Enjoy.  We love Lisbon. Visited a number of times on cruise ships then returned on a land trip in Feb 2020 just before the world stopped..

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I read that one can take the Elevador do Castelo from Baixa, the Elevador Baixa, and then walk uphill to the Castelo

you would actually be close to this elevador when at the Rua Augusto Arch, but the elevador do castelo is actually the first of two elevadors, most likely why you cannot find the walking route. it isn't actually complicated as the streets are small and close together. It is basically elevador, walk 1 to 2 minutes, elevador, walk uphill.

We were staying on Rua da Prata, running parallel to Rua Augusto and used both elevadors.

Less than a 5 minute walk from the RA Arch, (off to the left as you face the sea from the arch) First you go to the elevador do castelo and go to the top where you exit on Rua Madalena.  Cross the street,   turn left and walk a few yards until you see the signage for the Pingo Doce supermarket on your right.(Pingo Dolce Chão do Loureiro reviews on TA mentioning elevador) Go to the entrance to the building and enter.  To your left in the interior hallway  is the supermarket entrance, but ahead on the rear wall you will see an elevator and you take this up.  You exit next to  a restaurant with a panoramic view terrace.  From there you need to go uphill on foot to the castle.  We did it, but be warned that  although the distance to the castle wasn't huge, it was an incredibly steep walk which we would not want to repeat, so I would recommend taking the bus to the castle entrance unless you want some exercise. We did that on our first Lisbon visit and it was so much easier.  You could always take the bus up and walk/use the elevators to come down again if you wanted something different.

We used that supermarket quite a bit during our aparthotel stay as the elevador was very close, as is the supermarket when exiting at the top on Madalena.  And if you want a snack, almost opposite the castelo elevador exit on Madalena , on a corner is .As bifanas do Afonso.  We only bought a locaL snack  there one time to try it but it is very highly rated and there was usually a line outside any time we passed. It is takeout only.

Actually much nicer and actually on Rua Augusta is Fabrica da nata which we very highly recommend.  There is another branch but you will be closest to this one.  Can highly recommend the natas (which you will see on conveyor belts going around the shop) and the super tasty cheese and ham toasties.(I definitely recommend these)  It has great reviews on TA

And should you want to see one of the most famous wall art murals in Lisbon, continue (still left from the elevador)  on Rua Madalena (only a teeny tiny bit further  than the Pingo Doce supermarket turn off), is a the famous Fado Vadio mural.  This is definitely worth a look as the staircase and walls around it are also "art".  Tiny little street and staircase, and  not the easiest to find,  so ask someone to point it out.Escadinhas de São Cristóvão 14

And don't miss The Praça do Comércio either.  It is barely 5 minutes walk from the Augusta Arch.  Enjoy.  We love Lisbon. Visited a number of times on cruise ships then returned on a land trip in Feb 2020 just before the world stopped..

Thank you for your help. We are looking forward to our first visit to Lisbon.

Loved Lisbon.  The elevadors are great!  We also enjoyed a 3 hour tour (I think) with Bike My Side.  It's 2 people on a beautiful motorcycle with sidecar.  Daniel took us past a couple places you mention and past a few places I had wanted to go to, but was glad I didn't need to (up, down, whew!)  It was both informative and fun.  Daniel could certainly let you off at the monastery if you want to see more,  or take you to the port or hotel.   I have pictures here: Iberian Sojourn Cruise - Aug. 2014 Photo Gallery by Ruth Rosenthal at pbase.com

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2022 at 9:33 AM, edinburgher said:

The bus you mentioned is it one that takes you from the bottom of the castle to the top like the one at Pena Palace or do you mean a city bus that takes you up to the top as one of the stops?

No, nothing like the little bus that runs through the grounds up/down to/from Pena Palace which we have used.  i am referring to a Lisbon city bus which runs along/up regular roads and has a  stop almost at the entrance to the castle, closer than the tram stop, but you could take a tram instead and walk up the last bit..

Search online for the number. (or see last line of post #1)  It goes from Praça da Figueira

Edited by edinburgher

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 6:29 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Loved Lisbon.  The elevadors are great!  We also enjoyed a 3 hour tour (I think) with Bike My Side.  It's 2 people on a beautiful motorcycle with sidecar.  Daniel took us past a couple places you mention and past a few places I had wanted to go to, but was glad I didn't need to (up, down, whew!)  It was both informative and fun.  Daniel could certainly let you off at the monastery if you want to see more,  or take you to the port or hotel.   I have pictures here: Iberian Sojourn Cruise - Aug. 2014 Photo Gallery by Ruth Rosenthal at pbase.com

i'm going to Lisbon in Dec (solo).

that sidecar looks fun!

but $180 for 3hrs is kinda steep 😞

10 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Ah great.

What price?

Sorry, I don't remember. 

We booked it on the street, but our friends booked it through the hotel concierge and it was the same we paid. I think it went on their hotel bill.

Next question:  Tivoli hotel.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/22/2022 at 9:33 AM, edinburgher said:

I found this while looking for ways to DOWN from the Castle.  We are taking a tour in the am, and have requested to be dropped off at the end of the tour at the Castle.  After spending some time there, we are then planning on walking back to our Hotel da Baixa.   When putting all the above names in google maps, it looks so very confusing.  Would it be easier to just walk back, skipping all the elevators?   Is it all downhill?

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by itsanita
more info

21 hours ago, itsanita said:

After spending some time there, we are then planning on walking back to our Hotel da Baixa.   When putting all the above names in google maps, it looks so very confusing.  Would it be easier to just walk back, skipping all the elevators?   Is it all downhill?

Firstly, well done for finding this past thread.  I wish others would learn to use the search tool.

Absolutely all downhill from the castle to the Baixa district as the castle is probably the highest point in Lisbon.  It is though, even going downhill, really quite steep in places, but yes, you could walk down. 

Option #2 would be to  take bus #737  from its stop close to the castle entrance to its terminus in P. Figueira, 2 minutes from your hotel, or  option #3  the vintage tram #28 which is likely to be crowded.The castle stop for it isn't as close to the castle as the  one for the bus..

There is also Option #4, vintage  tram #12 which runs by P. Figuera and likely to be less crowded than the #28.  The 12 starts and ends at Martim M,  a few minutes  further from your hotel, but should also stop in Figueires unless the route has changed.(check online)

If walking down all the way, you might want to explore some of the Alfama district through which you will walk.  There are 2 or 3 viewpoints (all viewpoints in Lisbon have wonderful views)and it is one of the oldest districts in Lisbon .  You could google something like "exploring the Alfama district" for ideas/suggestions should the idea appeal and it is easier to explore going downhill than it would be going uphill.

If you walk all the way down and ignore both elevadors, you might find you have to zig zag along streets as they won't necessarily be as direct as the elevadors.  They are not actually complicated at all. The first one you would want downhill has a name I cannot remember which you could find online, but  it is immediately next to an African themed restaurant with a viewing terrace, called the Zambeze. If you cannot find it, ask anyone to point you to "the elevador" or "the elevador Pingo Doce" " or "the Zambeze restaurant".We usually find local residents who would know  in shops, cafes, bars etc.

When you exit that one inside  the building with has the larger Pingo Supermarket in it, walk forward until you are on Rua Madalena and take a right turn to find the grafitti mural Fado Vadio which I describe in post #2 above, then retrace your path to the elevador do castelo on the same street (Madalena) but on the opposite side from the supermarket This second elevador is different.  Larger and not one elevador but a few.  I think there were either 3 or 4 of them.  This will take you back down to one of the narrow tiny streets running parallel to Rua da Prata. Turn right to your hotel..

What you don't get from online maps is the knowledge that these little streets really are little,  and from the bottom of the Castelo elevador to Prata, you cross a couple of them, but each is only a small number of steps wide so less than one minute and you will see Prata ahead of you when you exit..

And do try the series of escalators (even should you only go up, enjoy a coffee in the square  then turn and come back)which whizz you up from the Baixa-Chiado metro all the way up to the Chiado district as they are  maybe the longest escalators to be found in Europe. We like these because they take us quite close to our favourite mirador, Sao Pedro de Alcantara.

Hoping at least some of the above and especially in conjunction with post #2 is clear and explains that there really isn't any complication if you ignore the maps. which struggle in every historic area everywhere as they are not good with short narrow streets.

Where will you visit in the morning and will you actually need a tour to do it?

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Where will you visit in the morning and will you actually need a tour to do it?

We have a 4 hour priviate Tuk Tuk tour.  It will take us whereever we want to go, but their suggetions:  Lisbon Catherdral, Miradouro da Senhora do Monte, Feira da Ladra (flea market), Pink Street, Sao Pedro de Alcantara veiw point (but I think we can do that from the Castle), Pasteis de Belem (custard tarts???), and then Belem and Monument to the Discoveries.  Since it is a priviate tour, we can add/delete and stay as long as we wish at these areas.   Then once he drops us off at the Castle, we were planning on seeing the 

Miradouro das Portas do Sol for the view, then head down towards the main square in the city centre (Praça do Comércio).  Walk to the edge of the river where there’s a quay. (Two marble columns on either side of some steps lead into the water ?)  Take a drink / snack break at the Terrace Ministerium. 

Then head back up to the Santa Justa Lift to CARMO Convent and  ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM.  I do have notes as how to get there bypassing the lift if it is crowded.   We would probably grab dinner there and then head back down to our hotel.    

Does this seem doable to you?

6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

maybe the longest escalators to be found in Europe

On reflection, this is probably incorrect as there are very long escalators in some metro/underground stations in Europe which run from street level to platform level.Would like to say instead that this series of escalators must be amongst the longest in Europe.

22 hours ago, itsanita said:

We have a 4 hour priviate Tuk Tuk tour.  It will take us whereever we want to go, but their suggetions:  Lisbon Catherdral, Miradouro da Senhora do Monte, Feira da Ladra (flea market), Pink Street, Sao Pedro de Alcantara veiw point (but I think we can do that from the Castle), Pasteis de Belem (custard tarts???), and then Belem and Monument to the Discoveries.  Since it is a priviate tour, we can add/delete and stay as long as we wish at these areas.   Then once he drops us off at the Castle, we were planning on seeing the 

Miradouro das Portas do Sol for the view, then head down towards the main square in the city centre (Praça do Comércio).  Walk to the edge of the river where there’s a quay. (Two marble columns on either side of some steps lead into the water ?)  Take a drink / snack break at the Terrace Ministerium. 

Then head back up to the Santa Justa Lift to CARMO Convent and  ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM.  I do have notes as how to get there bypassing the lift if it is crowded.   We would probably grab dinner there and then head back down to our hotel.    

Does this seem doable to you?

Doable?  Yes but that depends on how long you spend at each stop.

Thanks for the info which was an interesting read for us as we are mostly independent tourists rather than tour folks, but are starting with some basic although limited knowlege of the geography of the city and its topography. If you are unsure about the tour content as is, I , have rather rudely  made some tweaking suggestions below, together with some comments, absolutely none of which might be of interest to you,and if you are happy with the tour as it is, no need to read any further. i apologise in advance if my comments are out of line..

The Miradouro da Senhora do Monte we have only visited once as it is quite a difficult access route, and going by tuk tuk is actually the perfect.option so definitely include that.

The Cathedral/Se is in the Alfama area, also hilly, so yes, also include that, likewise the Miradouro das Portas do Sol which is very close to the Santa Luiza viewpoint and only a very  few minutes uphill from the Cathedral so consider asking for brief stops at both to be included before or after  the Cathedral. as you won't then need to visit these on foot after the tour finishes.

The Monument to the Discoveries at Belem  is very impressive up close, both in size and the quality of the carvings.  There is also the map of the world and oceans inset in the ground in front of it.  You should pass it and the Tower of Belem on the sail-in and the sail-out, but up close is far superior. and definitely worth a stop.

Pasteis de Belem.  Natas are sold in a multitude of bakeries across the city and you will see them on sale everywhere you look including supermarkets, although I would recommend a good bakery. If a local tour guide  is taking you to this one, I am thinking it may be in guidebooks or promoted by influencers, , and if so, likely to be busy busy.  To  be honest, we tried natas from different bakeries on all of our visits over the years, two a day each, (only for research purposes!!) and can honestly say that from our tasting research(!) we found them all to be tasty  with none standing out as being especially superior. Should this store be busy, it may not be worth losing time standing in line. Are there reviews which indicate this is the best/only place to buy?

Including a flea market is a bit of a mystery. Are you willing to spend some of your limited  time looking at second hand clothing and other items of dubious quality? A possible substitution more worthy of  consideration could be the traditional  Mercado da Ribeira inside  the Time Out Market building which is next to Cais do Sodre train station which you will pass on the way to and back from Belem.. Google reviews for both.markets to help you decide, or substitute something completely different and more to your liking.

Pink St I had to google as I never heard of it and thought it must be a hidden gem known only to locals, but it is not. Results included reviews which were mixed to say the least.I think it has been included as it is on the route to and back from Belem.  Should you decide that it isn't necessarily worth a photo stop, and as you will already be in Belem, you could instead consider a brief photo stop at the impressive  street art Big Racoon found at Belem at the tram/bus stop opposite the Maritime Museum  on the wall behind the Cultural Centre.. It is huge, beautifully crafted, 3 dimensional and made of trash. Google for info for both. as you may decide that neither merits a photo stop.

Although mostly a really useful tool, Google maps have another drawback insofaras they give no indication of topography.

You said  Sao Pedro de Alcantara veiw point (but I think we can do that from the Castle)

Unless you chartered a helicopter to fly you between the two, no you cannot. ☹️

When standing on a hill at one of the two and looking across a large swathe of the city way down below and all the way  across  to the other hill you will understand why you cannot easily "do that from the castle"  so by all means include that in the  tuk tuk tour should time allow. There are ways to do it .  You could come down from the castle by one of the means previouly explained, cross part of the Baixa and go up to the Chiado area where the Convent  and museum are also located.  You could do that by using the Santa Justa elevador, which is privately owned and carries a fee. We have photographed it and admired it, but never taken a ride on it,as every time we have passed there have been long or even longer lines we didn't want to wait in. You could wait for anything up to an hour, maybe a little less, maybe a little more depending on how busy it is at the time and the ride is short, very short..  To get even closer to the mirador, you could use the funicular Gloria instead as it terminates next to the mirador.  This one is also privately owned,has a fee payable, and may also have waiting lines although they could possibly be shorter than for Santa Justa.  You could also look into either trams and/or buses which would bring you down from the castle and up into the Chiado as I no longer have that knowledge. i think this would involve a change somewhere along the way. Another alternative, one we have used more than once, is after your visit to the P. do Comercio, walk towards the Augusta Arch and Rua Augusta, along it for a short distance,  taking a left at Sao Nicolau, cross a couple of tiny streets and turn right onto r. Crucifixo and the Baixa-Chiado Metro station should be just there.  Use the previously mentioned series of escalators to arrive at .Praca Luis de Camões in the Chiado area, and from there make your way to the convent, museum and mirador. (the Baixa-Chiado metro entrance is huge and shaped like a giant half circle)

Would be interested in your thoughts.

Edited by edinburgher

I've been to most of those places.  I personally would drop the flea market (spouse liked it; but really, it's just a flea market, not my thing.)  Pink Street is kind of photogenic (painted street, balloons or similar (forget what) hanging overhead, a short bridge nearby for viewing) and tons of bars and restaurants, mostly for the younger crowd. I wouldn't want to spend more than a minute or two there. The pasteis are famous but can be obtained elsewhere.  And really, even though they're very Lisbony, they're really no big deal.  The other things mentioned by you, the tour company, and Edinburgher are worthwhile.  I loved riding the elevadors (or whatever they're called), looking at some of the graffiti in a few places, and visiting a couple miradors.  I loved Palacio Marques de Fronteira, off to one side of the Lisbon area.  It was beautiful, very lightly visited, and photogenic.  But it may be too far to go in a tuk tuk and too far off the beaten path. But honestly, Lisbon is such a great city, you can hardly go wrong there no matter what you choose to do. My photos are here: https://pbase.com/roothy123/iberian_sojourn__portugal_spain_gib&page=all

On 10/22/2024 at 11:33 AM, edinburgher said:

Would be interested in your thoughts.

I appriciate so much your taking the time to give me all the great advice and insights.   I will tweek my itinerary so that I don't need to call in a helicoptor (so funny).  

Hopefully, with all my pre planning, we will get to see most of the sights using several of the elevators/lifts.  Since we are by ourselves, we can decide how long too stay at each area.  

And I will take your advise about the Natas.  

Do you feel entering The Monument to the Discoveries and the Tower of Belem should be high on our priortiy list?  Or are visits to the outside areas enough?  

Again, .....thanks for the info and advice.  

15 hours ago, itsanita said:

Do you feel entering The Monument to the Discoveries and the Tower of Belem should be high on our priortiy list?  Or are visits to the outside areas enough?  

Entirely your decision.  We visited inside both many years ago on our first visit to the city and remember being underwhelmed, but that was then and things may have improved, and at that time tourist numbers were much lower and there were no long lines.  Suggest you read up on both, including recent reviews, to help you decide. And on the day, look at the waiting time.  Of the two, the exterior of the Discoveries Monument is by far the most impressive and we have revisited any time we were back in Belem for museums visits or simply for a stroll in pleasant surroundings.

Edited by edinburgher

On 10/22/2024 at 9:59 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I've been to most of those places.  I personally would drop the flea market (spouse liked it; but really, it's just a flea market, not my thing.)  Pink Street is kind of photogenic (painted street, balloons or similar (forget what) hanging overhead, a short bridge nearby for viewing) and tons of bars and restaurants, mostly for the younger crowd. I wouldn't want to spend more than a minute or two there. The pasteis are famous but can be obtained elsewhere.  And really, even though they're very Lisbony, they're really no big deal.  The other things mentioned by you, the tour company, and Edinburgher are worthwhile.  I loved riding the elevadors (or whatever they're called), looking at some of the graffiti in a few places, and visiting a couple miradors.  I loved Palacio Marques de Fronteira, off to one side of the Lisbon area.  It was beautiful, very lightly visited, and photogenic.  But it may be too far to go in a tuk tuk and too far off the beaten path. But honestly, Lisbon is such a great city, you can hardly go wrong there no matter what you choose to do.

Interesting that your comments mirrored many of my own and I expect itsanita welcomed  comments from someone other than myself as I am no authority, only giving personal opinions.

15 hours ago, itsanita said:

I will tweek my itinerary so that I don't need to call in a helicoptor (so funny).  

Aas previously stated, Google maps do not give an indication of topography.  You basically have to come down one hill, cross part of the city, then go up a different hill.

I had said this in post #17

taking a left at Sao Nicolau, cross a couple of tiny streets and turn right onto r. Crucifixo and the Baixa-Chiado Metro station should be just there.  Instead, the better option would be to walk along r Augusta from Comercio until you reach the cross st r. Vitoria.  Take a left there and you should see the metro entrance ahead of you.

What you could do, is come down from the castle to street level using the elevadors described in the other thread (with a tiny diversion between them to view the fado mural), and once at street level, walk straight ahead crossing a couple of tiny streets, and Prata and Augusta and simply keep walking forward to the metro entrance.  If I remember correctly, it is more or less a straight line from elevador to metro and the metro entrance should be in sight for most of it.  It looks like a giant half circle or archway. From there, use the series of escalators to get up to Chiado. Down one hill, across and up the next with minimal effort, no helicopter required.😁