Any experience with FCC deposits and insurance appreciated

Megabear2

Has anyone had to cancel a cruise where the deposit was just a future cruise credit and then tried to claim on their insurance?  Currently trying to deal with one of my Aunt's bookings made using fcc from her cancelled trip when she caught covid.  At the time she was barred from travelling as she failed the health questionnaire.  Subsequently booked another cruise for November this year and the credit was applied for the deposit.  Obviously with her circumstances she won't be travelling on this or most likely any other cruise so I've asked what options there are.  Unlike P&O who made an exception and moved the fcc to me so I could reimburse her Princess have basically said tough luck, she gets an FCC which expires July 2023.  As a result we get no cancellation invoice as the fcc is covering the deposit for two plus a surplus.  Anyone know what happens if you can't spend the fcc for other health reasons, will she just lose the m9ney in July 2023 or will we get some sort of cancellation invoice to show her loss at that point?

I've spoken to her insurance company who say she's not out of pocket as there's a fcc so therefore no claim liability on them.  There's also the problem they are in dispute with her on the big claim and are saying she didn't declare her conditions correctly which I think they would use for this second policy. We are talking £1,400 so not huge but as she is  £20,000 down after the last claim I'm trying to get her something back if possible.

We are still waiting on angiography as there's now an argument on whether a stent will be needed and the hospitals here and Italy are having a medical disagreed about her diagnosis.  Meantime the insurance company have made a final ruling on what they will pay and she is, as I said, currently £20,000 out of pocket.  The ombudsman is now being asked to look at things.

Any advice on the FCC matter much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Has anyone had to cancel a cruise where the deposit was just a future cruise credit and then tried to claim on their insurance?  Currently trying to deal with one of my Aunt's bookings made using fcc from her cancelled trip when she caught covid.  At the time she was barred from travelling as she failed the health questionnaire.  Subsequently booked another cruise for November this year and the credit was applied for the deposit.  Obviously with her circumstances she won't be travelling on this or most likely any other cruise so I've asked what options there are.  Unlike P&O who made an exception and moved the fcc to me so I could reimburse her Princess have basically said tough luck, she gets an FCC which expires July 2023.  As a result we get no cancellation invoice as the fcc is covering the deposit for two plus a surplus.  Anyone know what happens if you can't spend the fcc for other health reasons, will she just lose the m9ney in July 2023 or will we get some sort of cancellation invoice to show her loss at that point?

I've spoken to her insurance company who say she's not out of pocket as there's a fcc so therefore no claim liability on them.  There's also the problem they are in dispute with her on the big claim and are saying she didn't declare her conditions correctly which I think they would use for this second policy. We are talking £1,400 so not huge but as she is  £20,000 down after the last claim I'm trying to get her something back if possible.

We are still waiting on angiography as there's now an argument on whether a stent will be needed and the hospitals here and Italy are having a medical disagreed about her diagnosis.  Meantime the insurance company have made a final ruling on what they will pay and she is, as I said, currently £20,000 out of pocket.  The ombudsman is now being asked to look at things.

Any advice on the FCC matter much appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is pretty negative because as I understand it FCCs are not covered by ABTA, so probably no relief down that avenue.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The only thing I can think of is pretty negative because as I understand it FCCs are not covered by ABTA, so probably no relief down that avenue.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. Currently the money is of course tied up in a cruise but of course she can't go.  Once final payment is due next month it will of course revert to dead money which was why I was trying the cancellation route.  I can’t get any answer from the cruise line if it just expires or whether there's some paperwork issued saying its lost.  I suppose most people actually spend it okay.

I know airlines have been told to refund if vouchers aren't spent in time but can't find anything for cruises.

P&O were so much more helpful and offered an easy solution.

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. Currently the money is of course tied up in a cruise but of course she can't go.  Once final payment is due next month it will of course revert to dead money which was why I was trying the cancellation route.  I can’t get any answer from the cruise line if it just expires or whether there's some paperwork issued saying its lost.  I suppose most people actually spend it okay.

I know airlines have been told to refund if vouchers aren't spent in time but can't find anything for cruises.

P&O were so much more helpful and offered an easy solution.

Are you certain MB  that Princess won't allow you to cancel and take a refund under their standard T&Cs? I would stress that your Aunt is unlikely to be well enough to cruise again, so a FCC is not really appropriate.

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Are you certain MB  that Princess won't allow you to cancel and take a refund under their standard T&Cs? I would stress that your Aunt is unlikely to be well enough to cruise again, so a FCC is not really appropriate.

Having spoken with them twice yesterday they have stated that as its FCC standard T&Cs don't apply.  If it cancels she would lose her deposit (deducted from the FCC) and the balance is reissued as another FCC which she can then apply to her next cruise.  That "next cruise" of course isn't going to happen as she's never sailing again.  The cruise deposit is only £1.00 per person as it was booked on the special one day offer.  Her friend who she's booked with doesn't have any FCC applied so he only loses £1.  

Ironically we had booked one of these £1.00 things ourselves for next year as well but no FCC involved. I never even received a cancellation invoice for that because the loss was so small.

When I called Good to Go to see if they'd allow a claim on insurance they said that there is no loss on this cruise (obviously the £1 isn't covered) so no claim. The remaining £1,399 is going to sit with Princess and expire next year if not used.  That's why I was wondering if anyone on here had ever got to the expiry date on a FCC and not been able to use it.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Have you asked if this FCC can be transferred to someone else. 

Yes, that was my first question because its exactly what P&O did.  The two companies are poles apart in their attitude and considering my aunt was the most travelled guest on our I'll fated cruise I thought they might be nicer.  Basically told tough luck.  

We have family who work for BA and when I mentioned the conundrum to them they were surprised as apparently the airlines have been told any unspent vouchers will need to be refunded on expiry.

Edited by Megabear2

Sorry to hear of your predicament, the last thing that you need.

It seems a classic case of the computer says no, whereas a very senior person is needed to  overrule it.

When you spoke to Princess did you speak to a person in Southampton or as sometimes happens with Princess were transferred to a USA call centre where the computer rules with a rod of iron?

Can your contacts in the Southampton executive office help or steer you in the right direction?

Considering your Aunts heath and age there initial refusal to help seem very uncaring and heartless, something that could make very negative headlines for Princess and the cruise industry.

Sorry didn't read your post properly 

Her insurance company  said she's not out of pocket, but in July 23 when they cancel FCC she will be. I know it's nearly  a year away, but won't that make the insurance company  liable (if you solve other issue). Especially now if you can get them to say, the only reason they haven't paid up is she's been Given FCC. If worst comes to worst try again in 2023.

Did she pay by credit card ? Can you use section 25

Edited by Windsurfboy

22 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry didn't read your post properly 

Her insurance company  said she's not out of pocket, but in July 23 when they cancel FCC she will be. I know it's nearly  a year away, but won't that make the insurance company  liable (if you solve other issue). Especially now if you can get them to say, the only reason they haven't paid up is she's been Given FCC. If worst comes to worst try again in 2023.

Did she pay by credit card ? Can you use section 25

I hadn't thought of the credit card.  I will look into that idea, thanks. 

The insurance is a single trip policy moved from the covid hit cruise to the one with her friend.  I believe if no other cruise is booked and this one is cancelled while they say no liability the policy will lapse once the cruise sails.

I've spent the morning looking at all cruise lines FCC policies.  Seems if you don't use them you lose them, unless anyone knows differently?

I'm learning an awful lot about cruise lines these past few years and basically most of it seems pretty rubbish!!!

30 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Sorry to hear of your predicament, the last thing that you need.

It seems a classic case of the computer says no, whereas a very senior person is needed to  overrule it.

When you spoke to Princess did you speak to a person in Southampton or as sometimes happens with Princess were transferred to a USA call centre where the computer rules with a rod of iron?

Can your contacts in the Southampton executive office help or steer you in the right direction?

Considering your Aunts heath and age there initial refusal to help seem very uncaring and heartless, something that could make very negative headlines for Princess and the cruise industry.

Thanks for your input.  I spoke to Princess in Southampton.  My original call did indeed go to someone in the US but the second time I insisted the operator liaised with Guest Relations in Carnival House.  This was done while I was on the phone by text and email (the GR person refused to speak to me or the operator).  I felt a bit sorry for the lady trying to help as she said she was dyslexic and really wanted a verbal conversation but was refused.

P&O Executive Office who are of course not anything to do with the two situations with Princess have been trying to help all the way from the start.  These two companies are like chalk and cheese on compassion.  For instance P&O have contacted me several times just for an update on my aunt's health, Princess have not even replied to my last email of 1 August and have written to my aunt direct wishing her happy sailing in the future, not even asking if she is any better.

I'm very, very close to lawyers and my journalist contact on the big issue so yes, not a good reflection on that particular company.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:11 PM, Megabear2 said:

Thanks for your input.  I spoke to Princess in Southampton.  My original call did indeed go to someone in the US but the second time I insisted the operator liaised with Guest Relations in Carnival House.  This was done while I was on the phone by text and email (the GR person refused to speak to me or the operator).  I felt a bit sorry for the lady trying to help as she said she was dyslexic and really wanted a verbal conversation but was refused.

P&O Executive Office who are of course not anything to do with the two situations with Princess have been trying to help all the way from the start.  These two companies are like chalk and cheese on compassion.  For instance P&O have contacted me several times just for an update on my aunt's health, Princess have not even replied to my last email of 1 August and have written to my aunt direct wishing her happy sailing in the future, not even asking if she is any better.

I'm very, very close to lawyers and my journalist contact on the big issue so yes, not a good reflection on that particular company.

Interesting,

I have applied for Shareholder Benefits to Princess.co.uk. their reply address was:-

Email: UK Office- benefits@princesscruises.co.uk / Tel: 0344 338 8663  / Address: Princess Cruises Booking Support Department, Carnival House, 100 Harbour Parade, Southampton SO15 1ST

So I thought that it came under the umbrella of Carnival UK at least for UK Bookings. Booking Support may just be one person and their dog in a broom cupboard in Carnival House. However a British person may have more empathy than an American who may be polite when working off a script but may turn when you ask a question which puts them outside their comfort Zone.

Note, I Googled Carnival UK, and it appears that they only have an interest in P&O UK and Cunard.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, as I have no advice to give on the situation.

I just wondered from reading through this if you have the specific number for Guest Relations?

I've got a Future Cruise Deposit (not a Future Cruise Credit) that hasn't been refunded, and am getting nowhere by email (last one took them a week to get back to me, and then they referred to FCC and not FCD, which obviously made be very cross they'd not read the email properly.

It would be great to actually speak to someone, as I was only given an email address.

Thank you, and I really hope you get this sorted for your Aunt.