portofino question

I would love to eat @ Portofino's on our first cruise. How strict would RCCL be regarding bringing my son who is 10 1/2? Obviously, he is a young man who would not be crying or ruining anyone elses nice dinner. Would i be able to ask if they would allow him to eat with us there?? My son loves good food especially steak and lobster and would be disappointed if he knew his mom and dad were eating at a great restaurant and he wasnt with us... Just wondering...

alprice: i have read somewhere that they have to be 12/13 and up ~ what do you think my chances are for my son to come?

Speaking from experience I don't think you will have any problem. We had 11 in our party and they gave us 2 tables. One where the kids sat 10, 12, 14, 14, 15 and the adults all sat at a table right next them. It was somewhat quiet the night we went but they never even questioned it.

I would guess that they're pretty strict. While they're more flexible with respect to some things, they seem to be pretty strict about kids and age limits. I guess they figure they can't make an exception for one kid and not others.

Your documents, the Cruise Compass and/or RC's website all state: Guests 13 and over are welcome in Chops/Portofino's.

There are places on the ship that are adults only. One example is the solarium. There are places on the ship that are teens only. An example is Fuel.

The specialty restaurants are meant to be an adult dining experience.

It's really quite simple.

If the rules say 12 etc. I would hope, and I am not trying to be mean, that they keep to that. Your child might be used to fine dining, but so is someone else's 5 year old. I would be more concerned that your child would be upset that you are doing adult things and he isn't able to do so. If you child goes to Adventure (Sorry, not sure if that's the name) he might want to hang with his new friends and you and your husband would be able to go by yourselves.

Sorry, but I am one who feels that adults only areas are for adults, but that's JMO.

PS They do serve steak and lobster in the dining room, so he and you could get that there as a family.

Great question Jill, I didn't even know the policy allowed children at all (won't help us though, my kids will be 7 and 3, so we have some years before dining at Portofino with them) :)

And to mstr824, greetings from west central PA! I am only about 2 hours east of you. I say go ahead and take your son ;)

I remember reading somewhere on this site that there are certain nights or hours that the specialty restaurants welcome families with younger children. Call RCI and just ask if this is so and then you could plan to go one of those times.....If this is your first cruise, you might be surprised to know that the kids usually make new friends and try to dump us anyway! After all we do for them, go figure!

T;)

Your documents, the Cruise Compass and/or RC's website all state: Guests 13 and over are welcome in Chops/Portofino's.

There are places on the ship that are adults only. One example is the solarium. There are places on the ship that are teens only. An example is Fuel.

The specialty restaurants are meant to be an adult dining experience.

It's really quite simple.

Sorry i havent received my docs yet to read the rules on fine dining. if you think an adult dining experience includes 13 year olds, you must know some very mature 13 year olds. it was simply a question. I am a first time cruiser not an experienced one so forgive me. Some people get so twisted over a simple question.

oh that is wwhy i hate putting things in writing....it all depends on how you read it...I was not trying to be mean. I have my own tweens who are so well behaved.....but truly wanted nothing to do with us after day 2 of the cruise...I just meant you may not have to worry about it after all....but do call the cruiseline....you may be surprised by their answer!:D

T

oh that is wwhy i hate putting things in writing....it all depends on how you read it...I was not trying to be mean. I have my own tweens who are so well behaved.....but truly wanted nothing to do with us after day 2 of the cruise...I just meant you may not have to worry about it after all....but do call the cruiseline....you may be surprised by their answer!:D

T

teresa ~ my post wasnt directed to you at all - i thank you for your input -

Oh good...I felt so bad. I say take your son.....if that's what you want to do.. .people break the rules around me all the time...and they never seem to have a problem

"Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!"

Have a great time and don't let the crank pots get you down!:D

On Radiance in Alaska in 2004 children were allowed in Chops & Portofino's until 8:00. I don't know if they had to be gone by then or show up by then, though.

As for the "go ahead, break the rules, everybody else does it," comment, I'm reminded of my (and everybody else who grew up in the 50s) mother saying, "If everybody were jumping off a bridge, would you? Justifying breaking the rules on the grounds that "everybody" does it is kinda weak, IMHO.

Not a crackpot, I'm just sayin'....

Archived