Another idea on alcohol

I've been explaining to a co-worker how the cruise lines will take any alcohol you are trying to take onboard with you. I was admiring some of the inventive ideas..........and he went one step further with the switching of the mouthwash for alcohol - he said why not just add a few drops of green food coloring - it'll look just like mouthwash and possibly be less suspicious.

Whadda ya think?

DW and I just came back from cruise w/ Carnival, out of San Juan. the duty free store is aprox. 6 feet from ship check-in. you walk out of the door, right up to the security check-in, we were TOLD, "Put it in your carry-on, they WILL NOT TAKE IT"!!, I have cruised on four previous trips, seems to me they really don't care anymore. Unless you get carried away. Even in the ports of call (St.Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, and Aruba)-NOBODY CARED!!!-side note, even with 2 bottles, STILL spent at least $500 to $600.-Chris

I've been explaining to a co-worker how the cruise lines will take any alcohol you are trying to take onboard with you. I was

Which cruiseline will you be on?

I've been on HAL, Celebrity, Princess and Oceania and none of them would go into my luggage and remove our alcohol or our wine.

On Princess, we don't bother bringing vodka because we use their "gift" service and pre-order it before our cruise and it's waiting for us in our cabin. The price is less than our local liquor store and a couple dollars more than duty free. So we save money, (and don't have to add weight to luggage) they make money - win win.

On Princess, we don't bother bringing vodka because we use their "gift" service and pre-order it before our cruise and it's waiting for us in our cabin.

We will be on the Star Princess in April, and it was vodka that'd be my choice of alcohol to bring aboard. And, you're sure it'd be cheaper to order it? Now, I've been doing everything with Princess online, and I haven't seen anything that allows me to order alcohol to my room. Am I missing the link?

We will be on the Star Princess in April, and it was vodka that'd be my choice of alcohol to bring aboard. And, you're sure it'd be cheaper to order it? Now, I've been doing everything with Princess online, and I haven't seen anything that allows me to order alcohol to my room. Am I missing the link?

I am booked on the Tahittian Princess on April 9 2006. I tried to pre order liquor for our room and was told they stopped doing that, but you can still order from room service when you get there. We've been on 2 previous Princess Cruises and we able to pre order on both. I sure hope they were riaght and we can still order once on board

........and he went one step further with the switching of the mouthwash for alcohol - he said why not just add a few drops of green food coloring ......

:D This has been mentioned many times on these boards, and the general consensus seems to be that IF you like mouthwash-flavored booze, go for it. Most who have tried this say you can't get the mouthwash 'flavor' out, no matter what. Eww.

I went into the Princess website and re-read their alcohol policy. Now, it could be because I work within the legal field and am concious of interpretation, but it states that "they request" that alcohol not be brought on the ship. It doesn't explicitly state that it's prohibited. Possibly this is a loop-hole that could be argued:rolleyes:

I've decided to bring not the large plastic water bottles, but several smaller ones. I'll put 2 or 3 small ones in a zip bag and throw a few packets of Crystal Light in with them.......possibly a few straws as well for added measure;) Hey, I prefer my own brand of bottled water right!!

I've decided to bring not the large plastic water bottles, but several smaller ones. I'll put 2 or 3 small ones in a zip bag and throw a few packets of Crystal Light in with them.......possibly a few straws as well for added measure;) Hey, I prefer my own brand of bottled water right!!

ROFL....we like that kind of water too!

D.

We have never "hid" alcohol. We put what we want in our carrryon and have never had a problem. :o

That's hard to believe if you cruised on a Carnival ship. They do x-ray carry-on luggage, and quite often hand-check them. Wine/champagne - fine. Booze/beer? They will definitely confiscate it and return it to you on the last morning.;)

*Edited because I see you have NOT taken your Carnival cruise yet.

I brought 36 cans of beer aboard the Carnival Glory in a soft-sided cooler and checked it as luggage. No problem! I also bought 2 six packs in St. Martin and had no problem bringing them aboard.

I brought 36 cans of beer aboard the Carnival Glory in a soft-sided cooler and checked it as luggage. No problem! I also bought 2 six packs in St. Martin and had no problem bringing them aboard.

I agree with Lupy here. I've been on 14 cruises and not once have I ever had my booze/beer confiscated by secuirty or the cruise line. They know pax purchase it in port, especially in the port of embarkation. We do this as well and walk right on the ship with it with no problem at all. One of the obstacles that the cruise lines are confronted with is the port liquor stores and the liquor stores in the port of embarkation. If you want to challenge an cruise line's aclcohol policy, purchase it in the port of embarkation and if they attempt to take it, tell them thats OK, I'll bring it back to the port liquor store for a refund. Then see what happens. Cruise lines do not want to make an issue with the port liquor stores. Out of all the posts, and there have been thousands with regard to boarding with your own alcohol, I can't believe people have actually had their booze confiscated. I've cruise 4 different lines and have always walked on board with my alcohol and never been stopped or had it confiscated.

jcruise

You are allowed to bring wine and beer on, water, soda. We have always used a carryon with wheels and took it right onboard. If we fly we stop at a store on the way to port. Once we had everything in paper bags and put everything in our carryon right in the terminal. :D

go ahead and flame me but talking about bringing an illegal item on board a ship is smuggling

No flaming here. Just asking.

I sort of read the policies as just that: policies.

i.e., carryon irons not allowed (but they aren't illegal).

carryon alcohol not allowed.

etc.

Is alcohol illegal?

go ahead and flame me but talking about bringing an illegal item on board a ship is smuggling

You are entitled to your opinion, as well as any other poster. The priciple point here is not smuggling, but another method of possibly saving a few bucks by having alcohol in your cabin. I've been told by holier than thows that Cuban cigars are illegal also, but people bring them back to the states all the time. I don't think this should be a debate over what is illegal or legal. Remember...the question was how to bring alcohol on board, not smuggle. I have never smuggled, but walked right on with it in my carry-on or in the grocer bags that my booze was in from the embarkation port liquor store. I think other posters are just being honest about their alcohol experiences concerning boarding the ship. I've seen some heated debates here on cc between the do gooders and those who just want to save a couple of bucks. Again, this is a money saving tips thread.

jcruise

i.e., carryon irons not allowed (but they aren't illegal).

Has nothing to do with being legal or illegal. Irons are considered an electrical/fire hazard.

You're nit-picking.;)

You are allowed to bring wine and beer on, water, soda.

Not on Carnival ships.

Wine/champagne, soft drinks, water - yes.

Beer/liquor - not allowed, although folks do smuggle them on.

I ever had my Wine/beer confiscated by security or the cruise line. At a Caribbean port ( don’t remember which one ) I once removed the wine from the bag and gave it to the security when I was re boarding and they gave it back to me and said I could bring wine to my cabin.

Vodks...being clear....can be easily put in water bottles.

OK...Don't really want to be flamed for smuggling BUT .....When we were in port in Belize we bought some liquor. Most of it we were happy to check but the vodka we really wanted in our cabin....We had taken some water bottles with us on shore and just before we went back on the tender we dumped out any of the remaining water and then refilled the water bottles with our newly purchased vodka.

Archived