Do Holland America allow opening the door between balconies.

reposado

Just did a cruise with Oceania had two adjacent cabins only to learn on board that as policy they dont open the door between cabin balconies for safety reasons. Bummer.

Before I book 2 rooms on Holland just want to make sure they they too have similar policies?

Thanks

They did before COVID and I believe someone asked on this board and its was yes. However not sure how that would work if you have to Quarantine in the room. We had to for 6 days together last month even though I tested negative because of "close contact". Depending on the ship and cabin size it may be just 1 small panel opened at the railing. You can either contact your TA or HAL to get confirmation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, REOVA said:

They did before COVID and I believe someone asked on this board and its was yes. However not sure how that would work if you have to Quarantine in the room. We had to for 6 days together last month even though I tested negative because of "close contact". Depending on the ship and cabin size it may be just 1 small panel opened at the railing. You can either contact your TA or HAL to get confirmation. 

All of the openings, on all the balconies I have seen, are small and at the railing. 

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

All of the openings, on all the balconies I have seen, are small and at the railing. 

Depends on ship and balcony. The newer ships Neptune, Signature and Vista balconies have smaller end openings which leaves a little privacy still but the older ships open in center, closer to the cabin wall. Was just on Zaandam and the door wasn't locked and started banging the chairs into the wall in the middle of the night until they locked it the next morning. Depends on how open/connected you want to be to decide which ship and balcony to choose. Once @reposado gets confirmation HAL will still allow it, its easy to see photos and videos of different cabin balconies to see how the layout is. 

11 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Depends on ship and balcony. The newer ships Neptune, Signature and Vista balconies have smaller end openings which leaves a little privacy still but the older ships open in center, closer to the cabin wall. Was just on Zaandam and the door wasn't locked and started banging the chairs into the wall in the middle of the night until they locked it the next morning. Depends on how open/connected you want to be to decide which ship and balcony to choose. Once @reposado gets confirmation HAL will still allow it, its easy to see photos and videos of different cabin balconies to see how the layout is. 

Was just on N. Statendam, and we could see dividers open on various decks during the cruise...its obviously allowed. On disembarkation day, watched them clean all the balconies on deck 6, from our balcony on deck 6...all the openings were at the rail, a little larger than on other ships we have seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If OP means the exterior dividers in the balconies, and not interior doors, absolutely no problem opening them up. We had 3 consecutive cabins and with 2 dividers opened, it made for an extra-wide balcony to view the fjords 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reposado, what Oceania ship were you just on? We have 3 cabins booked next to each other on Riviera next spring and I assumed we could open the partitions. I had seen photos of the partitions open, so I thought it is allowed.