Casual Shorts in the dining rooms

kathas2boys

We are trying to get verification as to what the attire is for dining areas. DH would like to wear casual shorts and a nice golf shirt and the kids, their basketball shorts and matching shirts. We are first time cruisers and we are very unclear as to what to pack for the male members in my home. Any help will be appreciated...Thanks

We are sailing NCL Spirit on April 2

kathas2boys -

No shorts are allowed in the dining rooms after 5:30 (when they open for dinner) jeans are acceptable in good condition and of course slacks.

Direct quote from Freestyle Daily on the SPIRIT

"no torn jeans, shorts, T-shirts, singlets, cutoffs, barefeet, baseball caps or athletic wear are permitted in the main dining restaurants after 5:"

~Intrepid

There are no shorts in any dinning room after 5pm. My husband tried to go to a restaurant in dress shorts with a nice (collared) polo/golf shirt tucked into shorts with a belt and closed toe shoes. He was asked to change, which he did. the only place you can dine in shorts is the buffet or the Blue Lagoon (casual eatery, limited menu)

Had clients on the Dawn a few weeks ago. The one gentleman is 84. He said that he was going to "test the rules". Wore shorts to dinner........they wouldn`t let him in........he had to go and change.......he got lost trying to find his way back:eek: :D

kathas2boys -

No shorts are allowed in the dining rooms after 5:30 (when they open for dinner) jeans are acceptable in good condition and of course slacks.

"no torn jeans, shorts, T-shirts, singlets, cutoffs, barefeet, baseball caps or athletic wear are permitted in the main dining restaurants after 5:"

~Intrepid

I guess you could read the above as being that shorts, T-shirts, etc.. and the like are OK as long as they're not torn.:)

We are trying to get verification as to what the attire is for dining areas. DH would like to wear casual shorts and a nice golf shirt and the kids, their basketball shorts and matching shirts. We are first time cruisers and we are very unclear as to what to pack for the male members in my home. Any help will be appreciated...Thanks

Perfect outfits for the lido buffet.

Last summer on the Star we were in the main dining room for dinner and a family was seated wearing a warm-up suit (wife), sweat suit (husband), faded blue jeans with t-shirts (two boys.) This was even on the optional formal night!! I think it is hit and miss on the ships!

last week on the Sun there were big signs posted right at the entrance of the dining rooms "No jeans, shorts, tank tops, or t-shirts" after 5:30. I saw one man turned away in jeans.

There were signs on the SPIRIT as well. I just happened to have all the Dailies that stated it too. I wore jeans twice (out of 11 days) and I decided to only once I saw the signs saying no torn jeans. But, I could swear, but not 100% sure that on the two formal nights, the signs at the dining rooms were changed to read no jeans, etc... Sorry, no picture, not in the Daily, but I just know I saw it.

~Intrepid

In this case (NCL) I think everyone is confusing "freestyle" with casual.

Last cruise..........on a different line (RCCL) DH wore shorts in the dining room every night! :eek: Before we left I read on these boards "NO SHORTS, NO JEANS" BLAH BLAH BLAH.......I guess it depends on who is at the door. He was never turned away. I walked in ahead of him LOL just in case.:cool:

~Connie

I guess you could read the above as being that shorts, T-shirts, etc.. and the like are OK as long as they're not torn.:)

Actually, the comma after 'jeans' means that the adjective 'torn' only applies to jeans. :rolleyes:

kathas2boys -

~Intrepid

What are "Singlets"?

Barb

The easy thing that we did was buy our boys some khakis from Target and a couple of button down shirts or golf shirts for dinner in the main dining room. I got them the closed toe sandals to wear with the khakis and it was fine. It was decent but not dressy and well tolerated by both a 12 and an 8 year old boy. After dinner the shorts came back on. Hubby wore similar to the boys.

Eileen

What are "Singlets"?

Barb

The tops that wrestlers and weightlifters wear. Not a lot of material, mainly covers the belly with thin straps over the shoulders.

In some places, the tops women wear in summer that have the thin straps that normally don't cover the bra strap are called a singlet too.

Last cruise..........on a different line (RCCL) DH wore shorts in the dining room every night! :eek: Before we left I read on these boards "NO SHORTS, NO JEANS" BLAH BLAH BLAH.......I guess it depends on who is at the door. He was never turned away. I walked in ahead of him LOL just in case.:cool:

~Connie

Not cool at all - I think it was a bit disrespectful to your fellow diners.

Archived