Formal night

cruise-kat

Hi…first time cruising on HAL. Just wondering how dressy the formal nights are on the Caribbean sailings for gentlemen. Just booked a 10 day cruise on Rotterdam in January. Also how many formal nights are on a 10 night cruise? Thanks for any info.

17 minutes ago, cruise-kat said:

Hi…first time cruising on HAL. Just wondering how dressy the formal nights are on the Caribbean sailings for gentlemen. Just booked a 10 day cruise on Rotterdam in January. Also how many formal nights are on a 10 night cruise? Thanks for any info.

You will see lots of different things on formal night (gala night).  Some tuxes, some suits but not that many. Maybe a sports coat or blazer with nice slacks.  Lots of men will be in nice slacks, a long sleeve shirt and very possibly a tie.  That is what my husband wears and he seems to be in the majority.  Mind you, we have not sailed since the start of the pandemic so things could be a bit different now, but I doubt it.  We will be sailing in September so we will see.

You will likely have 2 gala nights.  

Enjoy your cruise!

Used to be formal, gala and now called "dressy" nights. We will be aboard Rotterdam again this year for 45 days beginning Dec 11th for the holidays (Caribbean and Mexico)

Maybe due to Christmas and New Year's people were nicely dressed in slacks, jackets, and pretty dresses. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

Talking to staff on our recent Koningsdam/Alaska trip, they recommended button ups and slacks. Jeans are fine, as long as they're in good shape, and a jacket looks snazzy (but isn't required).

We saw attire ranging from shorts and Hawaiian shirts to full tuxes. I mostly wore a sports coat, button up, and dark jeans as this is how we dress up in tech. I also wore slacks and a jacket (with a tie) one night, but found the sports coat more suited to the weather and temperature in the dining room and uncharge restaurants.

• Like 1