What are the odds my mail will be delivered?

We were on Serenade from July 17-24 and while onboard, I left two (stamped) postcards with Guest Services to be mailed to Canada. Neither has arrived yet. One is a no-big-deal "having a great time, wish you were here" note, but the other is a more personal note that I truly wanted to be delivered. This might be a long shot, but has anyone done something similar and did your mail ever make it to its destination? 

18 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

We were on Serenade from July 17-24 and while onboard, I left two (stamped) postcards with Guest Services to be mailed to Canada. Neither has arrived yet. One is a no-big-deal "having a great time, wish you were here" note, but the other is a more personal note that I truly wanted to be delivered. This might be a long shot, but has anyone done something similar and did your mail ever make it to its destination? 

Mail from ships is notoriously slow.  First, the ship gives the mail to the port agent (when convenient).  Then the port agent, to whom delivering passenger mail is a low priority, finally gets around to giving it to the postman or putting it in the mail.  Not sure where your cruise was, but not all postal services are as good as US postal (and I'm being generous to USPS), so international mail can be quite slow to get sorted and sent.  I'd say 2-3 months would be about right.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm OK with it getting there late, so long as it does eventually arrive. I was starting to second-guess that giving it to Guest Services was the right thing to do - the person I spoke to said she could get it out, but I was starting to wonder if that was just lip service and she dropped it in the garbage can as soon as I left. I'll give it some more time.

10 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Next time, take postcards to the port of departure. Then write and mail them from there. Easy to get appropriate cards with the internet.

It was an Alaska cruise round trip from Vancouver. I put USPS stamps on but then couldn’t find a mailbox while in port, which led me to drop with Guest Services - since I couldn’t have mailed from Vancouver without adding more Canada Post postage - and I wanted them to arrive ‘from Alaska’. 😑 lesson learned bough, next time I will keep it simple!

9 hours ago, time4u2go said:

How much postage did you put on them? Was it enough? 

I sure hope so! I don’t recall exactly how much it was, but I bought it at a post office and asked for enough to get the cards to Canada. If only I’d had enough time to write the cards then and there and drop them in the box, I wouldn’t be in this mess!…

• Like 1