NCL Getaway Live Journey - 9/3 - 9/12

cruiseny4life

14 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oooooo, lucky you! If we had the vacation time, we'd totally be on board with you. We almost just did it...but I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't let me in the office door upon return. 🙂 

Yes, we'll be in the Haven - in one of the Haven Penthouse suites on deck 14 close to the spa. It's one flight and we'll be in that wonderful thermal suite heaven! 

We are in the Haven, too, but on deck 16. We also love the thermal spa, too.  Hoping our sailing is also not too full.  I do think there could be a chance that either of our cruises may be dodging hurricanes since this is the time of the year when they peak. We'd rather be somewhere warm but know the prices for cruises that go to the Bahamas and Bermuda are inexpensive not only due to schools starting but many people know to avoid cruises in this area in September.   

But we are in the Haven and have Thermal Spa passes so where we go doesn't really matter does it? 😉

I hope the next few days go by fast for you. I am looking forward to reading your review!

12 hours ago, AmbitionatBay said:

Can you let us know who you use to proctor your test?  We also purchased tests and were thinking of using OnPoint for our Sept. 22 cruise. 

Groundhog Day:

Welp, it's Wednesday folks. And I'm still sweltering away in an office in corporate America. Better than a cubicle I suppose. 

Anyway - we're using Ellume/Azova to proctor the tests. The tests themselves were $38.99 at CVS for one, then the proctor fee is $20. I just scheduled the test this morning. They had plenty of availability for today, tomorrow, and Friday. 

image.png.c016bba1da3389911b66d615fe38539a.png

Since we're leaving on Friday, I want to test tomorrow night so that I can get home from the office, throw our bag (hopefully it's only one) into the car, and drive off to NYC for a good meal. 

That's the only update I have. I'm killing time loving the Bliss review over in Alaska. You should check it out if you haven't already seen it: 

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to your review! We will be on the Getaway 10/22-29 in the Haven 🙂

But if I would LOVE to play Cards Against Humanity if someone on board had it and wanted to play a few rounds. My husband and I love it, but a lot of the people we spend time with are people we know through church, soooooo, yeah. You definitely need the right crowd for that one!

5 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

I'm really looking forward to your review! We will be on the Getaway 10/22-29 in the Haven 🙂

But if I would LOVE to play Cards Against Humanity if someone on board had it and wanted to play a few rounds. My husband and I love it, but a lot of the people we spend time with are people we know through church, soooooo, yeah. You definitely need the right crowd for that one!

We Will be on the Getaway September 29th also in the Haven, Courtyard Penthouse. Cards against Humanity is a fun game to play with new friends. Also looking forward to not have to test before the cruise thank the lord.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbxlady said:

Yea...you might not want to bring those to the Sunday School class...although I bet a lot of priests/preacherts/rabbis/whatever the person with the direct link to g-d is called, could win a round or two. 🙂

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

We Will be on the Getaway September 29th also in the Haven, Courtyard Penthouse. Cards against Humanity is a fun game to play with new friends. Also looking forward to not have to test before the cruise thank the lord.

Where are you heading? I'm a little jealous you get to miss out on the nasal swab to the brain. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yea...you might not want to bring those to the Sunday School class...although I bet a lot of priests/preacherts/rabbis/whatever the person with the direct link to g-d is called, could win a round or two. 🙂

Where are you heading? I'm a little jealous you get to miss out on the nasal swab to the brain. 

Eastern Caribbean, so Port Canaveral --> GSC --> St. Thomas --> San Juan --> Puerto Plata, DR

My husband is in formation to be a deacon (Roman Catholic Church, sooooo, yeah...

• Haha 1

I didn't mean it to be, but this is the pre-cruise safety post!

Norwegian continues to send me the pre-boarding safety video so now it's getting real! This was at least the third time they've asked me to watch it in the last couple days. Yes, NCL, before I get on the ship I'll take a gander at the video. 

In another topic I mentioned how in April we were whisked right by the muster drill spot to the Haven. My husband and I think we were supposed to be mustering at the Getaway Theater, but that's just a guess. This time I'll be paying attention when we get on board. I'll also take a look behind the door to ensure I know exactly where I'm supposed to go. I don't want to be the person that gets others hurt, or gets myself hurt, because I'm bumbling around like a drunken sailor not knowing where to go.

I'm currently working on providing a test to a few employees at work that were exposed to the lovely COVID. Doing this is making me think that I ought to pack away a few masks in case we run into a place on the cruise that requires masks. I know Bermuda did require them on public transportation and some shop owners mandated masks back in April. 

Looks like another trip to CVS tonight, unless we didn't actually throw out all of our reusable masks. Tonight we are packing, so masks, OTC's, and some extra tests will go in the bag. 

Then, hopefully they all stay in the bag, because we'll stay healthy have and a safe cruise! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I didn't mean it to be, but this is the pre-cruise safety post!

Norwegian continues to send me the pre-boarding safety video so now it's getting real! This was at least the third time they've asked me to watch it in the last couple days. Yes, NCL, before I get on the ship I'll take a gander at the video. 

In another topic I mentioned how in April we were whisked right by the muster drill spot to the Haven. My husband and I think we were supposed to be mustering at the Getaway Theater, but that's just a guess. This time I'll be paying attention when we get on board. I'll also take a look behind the door to ensure I know exactly where I'm supposed to go. I don't want to be the person that gets others hurt, or gets myself hurt, because I'm bumbling around like a drunken sailor not knowing where to go.

I'm currently working on providing a test to a few employees at work that were exposed to the lovely COVID. Doing this is making me think that I ought to pack away a few masks in case we run into a place on the cruise that requires masks. I know Bermuda did require them on public transportation and some shop owners mandated masks back in April. 

Looks like another trip to CVS tonight, unless we didn't actually throw out all of our reusable masks. Tonight we are packing, so masks, OTC's, and some extra tests will go in the bag. 

Then, hopefully they all stay in the bag, because we'll stay healthy have and a safe cruise! 

Getting real now.  So excited for you.

As an aside, I think masks, even for crew, are optional throughout the ship.  Of course, that doesn’t preclude anyone from wearing them.  Just a point of information.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Getting real now.  So excited for you.

As an aside, I think masks, even for crew, are optional throughout the ship.  Of course, that doesn’t preclude anyone from wearing them.  Just a point of information.

I believe you're completely correct.

I meant more for in Bermuda - pretty sure the Port Canaveral stop won't care (it's Florida:), and I would think Great Stirrup Cay follows NCL ship rules. 

• Like 1

It's cruise day!! We wandered around Hell's Kitchen a little bit last night after dropping the car at 11 on 45th and 11th. Our hotel is at 48th and 50th so we're quite close to the terminal. This will be as close as get to the Intrepid. I see the red, white, and blue... but it sure does look like a different country's flag. 

20220902_234957.thumb.jpg.13b30f352da569dddceb6447ee3dbc05.jpg

I didn't know businesses still used old fashioned time clocks. It's been a really long time since I literally "punched" in. Well I'm NYC parking garages they definitely still punch the clock! We got about $175 knocked off the price by being nice to the attendant. Instead of $600 for ten nights, we're paying $450, including taxes. 

20220902_235527.thumb.jpg.5c4b1a1496d61d9199285b8a95d8c7f0.jpg

Bye, bye car for a few days! 

20220902_235620.thumb.jpg.ee50882ee2ee4cbe2853e781535c2042.jpg

I found no deals at the hotel's mini bar. $62 for 375 ml of whiskey. $6 for one Kind bar. There won't be any spending of money from this guy on the mini bar!

20220902_234157.thumb.jpg.61ae55f8684ce6dc75423eea11755667.jpg

And, finally, good morning Manhattan! It's going to be a stunning 🛳 🚢  day!

20220903_063013.thumb.jpg.1609ad90cff7c05426d8950cc90e354a.jpg

• Like 5

We are waiting in the Haven Lounge to board. Cynthia, the port agent we checked in with, was a delight! Due to various reasons, we have a difficult check-in each time we cruise (one of us is waiting on citizenship). 

20220903_092508.thumb.jpg.63463173400ae4f13b77c0d0fecd5c34.jpg

The line moved smoothly and the Haven priority line started before security. Yipeee! A far cry from April. 30 minute wait until security opened, then about 10 minute line in the lounge for check-in. And then, about 15 minutes for paperwork to be completed. 

20220903_100512.thumb.jpg.396f70136dda1fca871b40f169f353e5.jpg

And just like that, Ivan, our extraordinary concierge swept us onboard to the Haven where we were the first guests to enter. Now, we wait for our room to be ready!

20220903_105321.thumb.jpg.02e2802326249a7ac36ed0065e98f9c6.jpg

• Like 3

First meal on board is American Diner. It's more full than I've ever seen it, because the herd was led from the Haven to the restaurant around 1145. 

The first round of mozzarella sticks came out about the same temp as our milkshakes. 

20220903_114308.thumb.jpg.576704ef288d91c15d8904d1409faf44.jpg

We ordered two orders. Couldn't wait to take a frozen bite before the photo. The next round came out much warmer and yummier!

20220903_115006.thumb.jpg.f6a35e310dbcd59ca0d984d0430e5b20.jpg

I ordered the $19 seafood basket. Thankfully it was free...if I had paid for this meal, I would have been upset. But, it was free, and I'm on the boat, so I'm happy!

20220903_120857.thumb.jpg.ceb293be8c2b3333062fe7836501d9d9.jpg

Chicken sandwich - really greasy which leads to productive bathroom time later.

20220903_120906.thumb.jpg.0101d3a63671d196e7bc17698524fe0a.jpg

We ventured into the loud Spice H2O. No photos as it is kind of ho-hum. I'm not sure what I expected - maybe a little bit more fun. I don't have a drink package, at all, on this cruise so I'm planning my bar trips carefully. 

Now we're waiting on deck 16, outside the arcade, for our room to be ready. I can't wait to see it! We were supposed to be in 14130, a Haven Penthouse, but are apparently in an aft room. I think my husband worked some magic with our PCC, but he won't  own up to it!

20220903_125315.thumb.jpg.6c21bf8fd000740bf17117be84fc1601.jpg

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Good morning from Drain Island, Atlantic Ocean!

20220904_084138.thumb.jpg.d1b71e5b7dad70129b0db9dad0e08f1e.jpg

I've taken the Day 1 and Day 2 Freestyle photos, but before posting them, here's a photo of my photo desk, complete with our resident puppy and a gorgeous arrangement of flowers.

20220904_083955.thumb.jpg.c67c2091bb674667128c2c825ddb154c.jpg

Day 1 Freestyle:

20220904_083914.thumb.jpg.a0b7c4c0d16c88604d35b17bdfa075b0.jpg

20220904_083925.thumb.jpg.ba060446c744a7560e81b466b2ee0c54.jpg

20220904_083931.thumb.jpg.4b5f0e9f0df27cbb77b17c8c55f7df76.jpg

20220904_083941.thumb.jpg.7a6fbcae4652a25f4d84fafea1bb6616.jpg

Day 2 Freestyle:

20220904_084005.thumb.jpg.bdccc9ebedc4f43a38a714ad10c5a622.jpg

20220904_084019.thumb.jpg.076afb6e9f6dd877ad22b67af3d58891.jpg

20220904_084024.thumb.jpg.f9f7bd123c1871966847119acf8b9cee.jpg

20220904_084032.thumb.jpg.6bbe82738e243a3cdc0737adf1a66952.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Loving it!  Hope the weather has been good and you are enjoying yourself!

I know when you board you can go to Headliners to book dining, but can you also book the shows there as well?  I usually just use the screens but it would be nice to have the complete list in front of me so we can decide and switch dining reservations if we needed to.

3 hours ago, rbxlady said:

Hopefully your suite has two bathrooms 😆

Funny you should say....it actually does! We didn't realize that when we booked (more about that later). We are grateful! 

The view from the master bath shower is lovely! I definitely took a wee bit longer of a shower than normal today watching that view. Plus, the jets aren't quite as strong due to water leaking from behind. Maintenance came to fix, but I think they saw the fallen shampoo container and figured that was what was wrong with the shower. It has been adhered back to the shower stall.

20220904_093438.thumb.jpg.5b064791b452ef57e5a6f7a319183775.jpg

3 hours ago, wolft927 said:

We are on the Getaway for the 9 night on the 29th this month, courtyard Haven suite, we have sailed the breakaway and did enjoy the enclosed have n courtyard. Does it get windy without the retractable roof? 

My answer is no. In April we were onboard during not great weather. We still used the hot tubs in the courtyard.

Now, we are fully underway - we just spent an hour and a half in the courtyard. Hot tub and pool slumming...it was grand. There was a slight breeze, but it was not strong at all! 

On the plus side, the capacity signs for the hot tub were taken down by maintenance while we were there!!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 4:51 PM, smillerholmes said:

You know I'm there and I don't think I'm a "horrible person" but Cards Against Humanity is an awesome party game...

It was amazing to meet you today! I'm glad you recognized my pink shirt. I do have bad news....we completely forgot Cards Against Humanity. On the plus side, we have Phase 10. Let us know if you want to play!

4 hours ago, gatorchinsky said:

Loving it!  Hope the weather has been good and you are enjoying yourself!

I know when you board you can go to Headliners to book dining, but can you also book the shows there as well?  I usually just use the screens but it would be nice to have the complete list in front of me so we can decide and switch dining reservations if we needed to.

I'm not sure. I will ask crew on board. We are in a Haven room so the process is slightly different. Sorry I don't know!

Thank you for kind thoughts. Weather is phenomenal at the moment and we've been having a lovely time. As you can see, sail away from NYC was beautiful from our perch on board.

20220903_163237.thumb.jpg.b4bce8ca81074b05730ef3496f40290c.jpg

• Like 3