NCL Getaway Live Journey - 9/3 - 9/12

cruiseny4life

Quick observation that we all know already...I just cannot imagine the amount of food waste on board. Today I just couldn't finish lunch and you all know I wear my stretchy pants for a reason! 

I was shamed by a burger. Given the copious food available, I'm now bored of eating. I'm thinking about seeing what interesting soup bowls they have in the buffet tonight as I want an option other than the normal. 

Here's the leftovers of the meal that broke me... maybe long cruises would be a fine diet option for me! On land, I'd never leave a burger unfinished. 

20220906_132255.thumb.jpg.8382c0394285ba7bb8d820fb4f83a4b6.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, TenForward said:

Thanks for posting the dailies!  We are on this cruise departing New Year's Eve.   Very interested in your review.

You are very welcome! I'm glad you find them helpful and I'm so jealous of a new year's cruise. I hope you are somewhat near to shore to see fireworks. We saw some from who knows how many miles away on the first night. The tiny little perfect circles of exploding red, white, and purple were so fun to watch!

When I return from the cruise there will be a much better written review with a lot of photos! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Enjoying the live review thanks!

few quick questions - any idea why the passenger count is so low?  Does this have to do with low demand, ncls higher than average pricing, or have most sailings been filing up and is this an off week?

also how is the live music on the ship?  It looks like there is one less band and one less duo than usual.  The dailies show two bands and two duos whereas I think there are usually at least 3 of each.

thanks!

I'm not sure how to answer your music question. I think I see the same thing you do, in that there are two bands. I'm not sure about the duos. What I do know is that, at any time from about 4pm to midnight there is live music somewhere. The choices seem endless, although I guess you could get bored if you are really into music and go to every performance. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it does give the experience I have had so far onboard. 

My poor husband has gotten used to me no longer walking with him as I suddenly drift to the music and he just keeps walking, not noticing that I've stopped. 

I believe someone else may have answered the passenger count, but here I go trying too:

1. School is back in session. There are kids on board, but they are few and far between. 

2. Some folks just don't want to go to 🇧🇲. They're cheap and can't afford the Travel Authorization (kidding or am i). 

3. It's the off season. The next Getaway cruise has fewer passengers currently booked than we do. Staff report around 900 next week. 

4. Who knows 😇

5. I will say, the pricing for this cruise was priced very much not in line with Frankie boy's philosophy to not offer discounts. The room we have is a Haven Aft- Facing Corner Balcony. We paid far below a normal Haven room price for this room. In fact, we were booked in a Haven Penthouse Suite (14130) the week before this cruise. We canceled that cruise and paid only $1,000 more for this one in a much more desirable room. More on this to come! 

4 hours ago, gatorchinsky said:

After looking at the Dailies that have been posted so far, I noticed that for dinner that both Taste and Savor are not offered each night but it’s one or the other, along with Tropicana.  Could this be because the sailing is not full or because of staffing?

I don't think it has to do with staffing at all. In April we were on board with 4,400 passengers and 300 fewer crew members. All three were open then. I do think it's due to so few passengers. Honestly, the hosts at the specialty restaurants almost jump on us to have a meal at their restaurant. 

The Haven is the only full part of the ship. Even there, it the restaurant and lounge are very subdued. Probably because of the age of passengers. It's not nearly as loud as it was in April with all the families onboard.

13 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’ll be on the Getaway as a newbie in February 2023 so any suggestions or tips you can add appreciated. I’m in a studio stateroom. 

Tom😀

I'll do my best! I'm not in the studios, but I have seen a lot of solo cruisers living their best life. It's so easy to strike up conversation with anyone while you're onboard. 

Don't be shy. Others probably won't be and the crew will definitely take care of you. Whenever I go somewhere alone, the crew are there to be my companion during my "let's do separate things" time. 

Slight change in plans! We're going to Nassau, Bahamas, Miami, and then two sea days. Original plan included Bermuda. Alas, Tropical Storm Earl has different plans for us. A hoighty toighty Ambassador shared this on Facebook, but the planner updated as well, so he's right. Also, no shade toward Ambassadors - Robbie (the Ambassador), could be the nicest guy ever! 

Screenshot_20220906-174851_Norwegian.jpg

Edited by cruiseny4life

24 minutes ago, shof515 said:

what happens to the bermuda travel authorization that you paid? on the bermuda website it says it is non refundable however with the ship not docking due to weather they should be some leeway to be refundable

One lady claims Bermuda will reimburse us automatically, based on a conversation she had with the front desk. Is that Guest Services? 

I think it was a donation to Bermuda that will go to help them continue to recover from the pandemic. Plus we have travel insurance so we'll get it back that way. I'll let you know how we get it back...probably in 6 months knowing insurance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Slight change in plans! We're going to Nassau, Bahamas, Miami, and then two sea days. Original plan included Bermuda. Alas, Tropical Storm Earl has different plans for us. A hoighty toighty Ambassador shared this on Facebook, but the planner updated as well, so he's right. Also, no shade toward Ambassadors - Robbie (the Ambassador), could be the nicest guy ever! 

Screenshot_20220906-174851_Norwegian.jpg

Thank you for the update!  I know that’s a bummer but at least you won’t be on Earl’s path. I expect our cruise leaving on Sept. 12th may need to have a modified itinerary, too. 

• Like 1

@cruiseny4life  We did just receive a modified itinerary for the cruise departing on 09/12.  It now says we will leave NY at 7pm instead of 4pm.  Have you been notified that you will be arriving late?  We are assuming your arrival is delayed but there could be another reason for the late departure.  We are also skipping VA Beach (Norfolk) and getting another sea day.

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

@cruiseny4life  We did just receive a modified itinerary for the cruise departing on 09/12.  It now says we will leave NY at 7pm instead of 4pm.  Have you been notified that you will be arriving late?  We are assuming your arrival is delayed but there could be another reason for the late departure.  We are also skipping VA Beach (Norfolk) and getting another sea day.

Can you show the modified itinerary (as well as the original one) please?

3 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

I'll take a photo tomorrow. Itinerary shows we will arrive at 8 AM Monday. Two sea days between Miami and NYC. Gotta be enough time! We are going through customs in Miami also. 

We ran out of hash browns so maybe they're loading extras for your cruise.

Edited by cruiseny4life

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think your Miami stop is coordinated to get hash browns.  @Sailing12Away is on the Joy that also left from NY and is also reporting on a Live review that there are no hash browns. Must be a hash brown supply chain issue? 

Thank you for the updates. Hope you are having a great cruise! 

18 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We're on the Getaway for a 12-day in January.  If they run out of hash browns I'll...I'll...I'll...well, I'll get something else, but that would be a bummer.  Those Haven hash browns are delicious.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've seen the Haven photos, and I'm pretty sure they are the same hash browns served everywhere on the ship (including the buffet).

"GUFFAW!", he exclaims incredulously.  Just by virtue of being eaten in the Haven Restaurant they're better.  I think it's because I have my butler sprinkle MSG on my food before he cuts it into bite sized pieces and feeds it to me.  But I don't have him feed it to me "mama bird-style".  That would be an unseemly request, and I don't tip enough to make it happen.

🤪😀😁

But now that you mention it I do recall them being on the buffet (I think they alternated them with potatoes O'Brien).  That's when I get them the best way:  topped with some sausage gravy and hot sauce.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

Mr. Potato Head, "anyone worried about hash browns needs to cut back on carbs. There. I said it."

LOL

I keep to about 60 carbs per meal and while on vacation if at breakfast they come from hash browns, all the better.  Hold the toast, bring me them taters!  😄

• Like 2

Day 7, I find myself in Miami. Not exactly where we thought we'd be. I'm glad to see (based on a couple of local's reports) that Bermuda seemed to weather Hurricane Earl with minimal issues. I'm still glad NCL directed us to Miami. The last thing Bermuda needs us 1,2000 tourists flocking to their island today. 

I'll be catching up soon on posts. For now, here are a few Freestyles. 

• Like 1