Venice to Trieste - how?

bluewatercoulpe

Recent experience may have very little bearing on what happens for your cruise.

In June we were offered free transfers from VCE or Tronchetto, Venice, to Trieste and similarly free transfers at the end of the cruise from Trieste to VCE airport or Tronchetto, Venice.

Probably HAL will offer paid transfers which you can purchase through 'Manage Booking' on the HAL website, just the way you can purchase excursions, or you could take the bus from VCE to Venice Mestre and go by train or book a private transfer.

After a lot of research, I’m going to answer my own question.

I called HAL and asked about getting to Trieste from the VCE (Venice Marco Polo airport) and this is what I was told;

HAL only has a “complementary” bus to Trieste from the city center (what city center?)

We would be at the airport so that means it is up to us to find a way.

Bus from the airport to Trieste bus station. I chose FlixBus.

Go online to FlixBus.com and search for Venice airport to Trieste. It will then show a schedule for the day you choose. Fare runs about $19 to $25 per person depending on the time of departure.

Right now the Euro is less than the US$. You can purchase a ticket online here in the US, and receive confirmation of your reservation, you can print out or put on your phone.

To get to the bus from the airport terminal you must take one of three sheltered walkways from the terminal. The bus parks in a special bus lot across from the Tamoil service station.

It looks like about a ten minute walk (with all your luggage - carts are available in the terminal).

‘Enjoy

• Like 1

We did the HAL transfer from Venice "city center" to Trieste.  It was complimentary for us because we booked the cruise back when the ship was supposed to dock in Venice.

First, when they say "city center" they mean Tronchetto.  Use Google maps to see where that is.  It is really just a big circular parking area for about 10 buses.  We used a water taxi to get there from our hotel on the island where we were staying for a couple days before our cruise (the water taxi was very convenient but expensive).  But you should be able to take a regular car taxi from the airport to Tronchetto for cheap...I'm guessing less than 20 EUR.  If it is restricted and taxis can't go to Tronchetto, you can definitely take a taxi to Piazzale Roma and then the People Mover to Tronchetto.  For two people, I'm sure this would be half the cost and more convenient than a bus or train to Trieste.

On the other hand, I am very surprised that HAL would provide a transfer from Tronchetto and not the VCE airport.  For our cruise, and others I have read about, HAL had transfers from both places.    I would suggest calling back and maybe you will get a better answer.

19 hours ago, bluewatercoulpe said:

HAL only has a “complementary” bus to Trieste from the city center

I would have thought that if they had a complimentary transfer it would travel to and from the airport, as they would need to transport the customers who booked flights and transfers and also it is closer to Trieste and does not require the bus driving over the lagoon to Tronchetto.