Opinions

jkbec101

We have our flights through NCL on WestJet (LAX-YYZ-BCN).  

I have been very nervous given all the cancellations.  So I have been tracking our flight from Toronto to Barcelona and it was cancelled three times since 8/22/22.  

Each time the flight was cancelled it was done 24 hours in advance.  

If your flight cancelled and you had 24 hours notice, would you (A) Call NCL to rebook; or (B) Work with the Airline?  

Second question, if the flight continues to be cancelled each week, would you reach out to NCL, present the proof that the flight schedule is unreliable and ask to be rebooked or would you just let it roll (we have travel insurance)?  

I'll be honest, all indications are the NCL won't do anything since the flights have already been ticketed.

We're flying in two days early also.

Just curious

22 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

We have our flights through NCL on WestJet (LAX-YYZ-BCN).  

I have been very nervous given all the cancellations.  So I have been tracking our flight from Toronto to Barcelona and it was cancelled three times since 8/22/22.  

Each time the flight was cancelled it was done 24 hours in advance.  

If your flight cancelled and you had 24 hours notice, would you (A) Call NCL to rebook; or (B) Work with the Airline?  

Second question, if the flight continues to be cancelled each week, would you reach out to NCL, present the proof that the flight schedule is unreliable and ask to be rebooked or would you just let it roll (we have travel insurance)?  

I'll be honest, all indications are the NCL won't do anything since the flights have already been ticketed.

We're flying in two days early also.

Just curious

Usually the airline take control of the reservation around 24 hours before departure.  Until that point the travel agent is your main contract.  

If it cancels, WestJet will automatically rebook you onto another flight at their expense.   If the travel agent is still in control of the reservation they will tell the travel agent of the change and the travel agent is then responsible for configuring the change with you.

All airlines generally try to rebook onto their own flights, if that is not available they use their partners and if that is not available anyone else.  

WestJets main partner in North America is Delta.  Their main European partners are Air France, KLM and Virgoan American.  

Depends on the specifics of your ticket.  Some bulk tickets require that you deal directly with the party that provided the ticket, aka the cruiseline.  Others let you work with the airline directly.  Only knowing the specifics of your fare rules would answer that question.

Note that em-sk is talking about tickets bought through a travel agent - most likely a published fare ticket.  Distinctly different than a bulk ticket that is usually what you get from a cruiseline.  The devil is in the details.

Edited by FlyerTalker

As Flyer Talker indicated, the communication path could deviate based on any special arrangements between NCL and WestJet.

What will not change (even if it is a charter or consolidator ticket)  is the airline is required to rebook you at their expense if they cancel or the delay is over 3 hours.  That is defined in Canadian Transportation Agency regulations that would apply since your connecting through Canada.  Not as good as European rules, but better than US rules.   

The legal requirement is to get you to your destination with 48 hours or the original ticketed time,  and to use competing airlines if necessary to meet that requirement.

Edited by em-sk

I ran into several people this summer who booked through cruise air.  One on NCL, the others were through a river cruise line.  NCL provided no help with rebooking, and the pax stated NCL hung up on them.  We were able to rebook the family for their domestic flights.  We could not rebook the two pax going US-Europe because there were no seats available on ANY airline to Europe for five days.  Lots of weather related delays and cancellations that week.  You can’t be rebooked if there are no seats.  Our airline at least, will try to help no matter who you booked through if we can.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 2