Tour to Lourmarin and Aix-En-Provence

In Toronto

We are on a Med cruise and will have the day in Marseilles next week.  We have booked a DIY tour through Princess Cruises which takes us by bus to Lourmarin for a couple of hours and then on to Aix-En-Provence for a few hours and then back to the ship. We enjoy meandering through European towns and cities.

Anyone done this tour?  Which is the better side of the bus for good scenery? Suggestions for our time in both these cities?

Thanks.

12 hours ago, In Toronto said:

We are on a Med cruise and will have the day in Marseilles next week.  We have booked a DIY tour through Princess Cruises which takes us by bus to Lourmarin for a couple of hours and then on to Aix-En-Provence for a few hours and then back to the ship. We enjoy meandering through European towns and cities.

Anyone done this tour?  Which is the better side of the bus for good scenery? Suggestions for our time in both these cities?

Thanks.

Two completely different places (which is usually good for tours). Having driven in this area (quite a few times) I am not sure there is an advantage to either side of the bus.  Loumarin is a picturesque village (with some great views) so bring your camera or phone :).  Like most small villages it is all about walking, walking and walking.   Aix, on the other hand, is a large vibrant city (about 150,000 souls) with a large downtown and relatively compact old town area.  Since you are on a tour your guide will likely parade the group through parts of Aix and likely give you some time on your own.  While this city has its share of large Department Stores we prefer spending our time in the Old Town neighborhood, browsing the small shops, and enjoying a drink or lunch at one of the many cafes/restaurants.  

But lets be honest and say that when you take a "tour" or "excursion" your guide is going to set the pace and agenda (which is why we prefer DIY).  So, in Aix you will be likely shown the Cours Mirabeau (an upscale street with quite a few large cafes/restaurants), all things Cezanne, and the Old Town.  You can find a lot of information online, for both Aix and Loumarin but most folks on tours do what the tour leader (guide) suggests.  If you are a shopper, you should really enjoy this city. 

Hank

Hank

Thank you so much Hank.

We are actually on a tour where we are just driven to the town/city and then given instructions as to where and when to meet the bus again.  The tour info does state that there will be no commentary on this tour.  Now, I guess if the leader is the type who likes to give info, they may but really we are on our own except for the transportation.  

We prefer DIY also but we are now older and need the security.  Those were the days when we braved local transit and driving a rental car.  Really the best way to do it as far as we are concerned.  

No, I am definitely not a shopper but don't mind a short time of wandering in little shops.  And, we love to eat al fresco and people watch.

Definitely Old Town for us.  What do you mean All Things Cezanne?  Is there an exhibit?

what day would this be?  on saturdays AIX has a wonderful open air market on Cours Marabou and an antique market on sundays same spot.  i stayed in an apartment on the cours in july, next to Pizza papa and Cafe Nino.  Plenty of people watching.  I ate some breakfast lunch and dinner at nino and once for dinner at pizza papa.  Back behind Cours marabou are some wonderful little streets to wander and window shop.  I wasn't feeling all that good when i was in AIX plus the heat was oppressive so I didn't do much wandering in AIX itself.

The Internet does a better job explaining about Cezanne and Aix so here is an interesting link::

Aix-en-Provence, city of Paul Cezanne • Aix en Provence - Office de Tourisme (aixenprovencetourism.com)

and here is another site worth reading:

A Travel Guide to Paul Cézanne's Aix-en-Provence (theculturetrip.com)

Hank

Thank you both so much.  I am not really an art follower but do find his paintings interesting.  Will see if we can look into your suggestions.

We will look for Cafe Nino for a lunch for quick snack.

Ellen

Edited by In Toronto

21 hours ago, In Toronto said:

Thank you both so much.  I am not really an art follower but do find his paintings interesting.  Will see if we can look into your suggestions.

We will look for Cafe Nino for a lunch for quick snack.

Ellen

I always had one of their salads.  i had the nicoise and the salmon poke.  Take a look at the lunch special, too.  once they had an amazing smoked samon with hummus and veggies.  And, be sure to get one of their 'the glace' - iced tea.  The peach was was yummy,  and it comes in a big mason jar.  

A few spots down is the Le Belle Epoque - if nino is busy, try there.  They also have the big peach teas in the mason jars.  

if you are wandering on Cours Marabou and need some gelato, I'll recommend 2 - Giovanni by Cafe Nino and Philippe Faur about 2 blocks away.  Not the best, but not bad.