Considering Oceania Rivera for 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise in November 2023-Help Me Decide!

Sthrngary

Background:  I have cruised on NCL for a long time.  My usual stateroom is the Haven which I know intimately. I have also cruised with Celebrity in the Retreat.  Finally, I cruised on Crystal Cruise last year prior to their financial issues.  I have chosen the NCL Haven for the "Ship-within-a-Ship" concept.  The better dining, excellent entertainment and less hectic when we had enough of the main ship.  We chose Celebrity Retreat to gain an alterative to the Haven.  We selected Crystal Cruises to dip our toes into the Luxury segment and called it a "Luxury Cruise Test Drive". 

Goal: To have a memorable Mediterranean Cruise with our best friends and not have to break the bank.  Our friends are on a tighter budget than we are and asked for my help in comparisons.  If it were up to me, I would book Regent Seven Seas due to the completely all inclusive approach they take.   The issue is budget.  Cruises especially these kinds of cruises are best shared with good friends.  This means flexibility to suit all budgets.  This brings Oceania as a great choose on paper.  Now I need real guest comments to seal the deal. 

REQUEST FROM CRUISECRITIC.COM MEMBERS:  Can you give the pro's and cons of Oceania.  My concern is being bored on sea days and in the evenings.  This came from my Crystal Cruise Experience.  I would love to know what you loved about the brand.  Any assistance is welcome.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Didn't you do a spread sheet prior to your Crystal  cruise?

Maybe comment on what you like to do on a sea day onboard

What bored you on Crystal?

We do  not need to be busy all day  so we enjoy the relaxing cruise experience on O

There  is no  hustle  bustle to escape  from

YMMV

First, you might consider this particular cruise that is ON SALE now and thru 9/7. The B4 Veranda is a sweet price. Wife and I are on this, but we booked it when it had essentially the same sale price on the earlier Memorial Day sale.

Oceania Cruises 10-days from Athens (Piraeus), Greece to Barcelona, Spain

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... Can you give the pro's and cons of Oceania.  My concern is being bored on sea days and in the evenings. 

Second that specific November 2023 Med cruise has only 2 sea days with 7 excursion days. So, you can use the early 2 sea days just to relax before doing lots of excursions to fascinating places.

Wife and I were on Riviera 12/13-23/21 in the W. Caribbean (A4 Concierge Veranda). We had 2 sea days and lots of excursions. We did excursions at all the ports we stopped at. Kept us busy and we normally went to bed on the nights before excursions before 2200. We only did the comic's show. We were NOT there for evening entertainment. Spent the sea day afternoons in and around the pool or spa area, but also did some "classes" in the mornings on those days (e.g., an hour presentation on watches and time) and groups (mt Veterans' group get together).

The food was outstanding, the cabin amazing, the staff friendly & providing great service, and the passengers were a delight to interact with (e.g., met a fellow Air Force officer who I'd encounter throughout the voyage). We fell in love with Riviera. We're going back to the E. Caribbean in Nov 2022 on Sirena but doing 20 day B2B on Riviera for both the E. & W. Med, Oct-Nov 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sea days are our favorites - room service breakfast, reading in the library, spa treatments, culinary class. international themed lunch in the MDR, workout, shuffleboard, Trivia,... chilling on the deck. We did the Med on Riviera in November, five years ago.  Wonderful weather and fewer tourists than in the summer months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Didn't you do a spread sheet prior to your Crystal  cruise?

@LHT28 Yes, thank you for remembering.  I do spreadsheets all the time for almost everything I consider doing especially if the investment is significant.  Those spreadsheets focus on comparing brands investment, cabins, and amenities.  I have already done the spread sheet bringing me to the high likelihood of booking an Oceania Cruise.  With Crystal Cruises, it was my very first time on a Luxury Type Cruise and I was really interested on the perception of the differences from the guests.  I remember we communicated on posts back then.  Thanks for remembering. 

45 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

First, you might consider this particular cruise that is ON SALE now and thru 9/7. The B4 Veranda is a sweet price. Wife and I are on this, but we booked it when it had essentially the same sale price on the earlier Memorial Day sale.

This is the cruise I was looking at.  Great pricing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

@MEFIowa Thank you for responding.  I commented on your post this morning.  I wanted to get back with you because we on CruiseCritic.com need to let folks know the decisions we make, on the advice given.  I just booked two (PH3) Penthouse Staterooms for the November 9, 2023 cruise you are on.  This is a 70th Birthday, for my friends wife and most likely the last of these types of trips we will be able to do together.  Thank you and hope to see you then.

1 hour ago, Siena219 said:

Being a Crystal refugee and now gone to Oceania and Azamara the only difference would be somewhat better entertainment an Crystal with free drinks but since I only do vino at lunch and dinner all else about the same , it does not effect me much and there plenty of things to do on Oceania and you can’t beat the food for sure ,your choice, the ports itinerary would be the deciding factor.

@Siena219 I can't thank you enough on your references to Crystal.  Everything you said makes sense to me after my Crystal Experience. I understand the difference in the drink program and your reference to entertainment.  I can't imagine the food better than Crystal but I will take you word for it.  As indicated above, I have made the booking.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Food  is  subjective  but  I found Oceania to be better for OUR tastes  than Crystal

& the  buffet  experience O was better  re the food handling  from Pax

The Terrace  buffet is open for dinner & no reservations required

Hope your friends will enjoy Oceania

Maybe  reserve Privee  for the special day  & ask for the birthday cake  Yummy

There is a fee for the room  but if you all chip in it is not too bad

Enjoy

@Sthrngary

I will offer a major Ditto for LHT28’s recommendation for Privee.  It is a beautiful,  private venue for up to 10.  It costs $300 but the room and staff are yours for the night and the food selections are WONDERFUL.  We always book it every time we are on Marina or Riviera to celebrate a Very Special occasion for family and friends. If you are doing a 70th, believe me it is not really an extravagance, just a FABULOUS EXPERIENCE.   We have even invited a CD or O Club Ambassador or F and B Director or Artist in Residence, for an Anniversary or Birthday Party. Just an amazing 3 hours with our Oceania family. 
Have a fantastic cruise.

Mauibabes

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Food  is  subjective  but  I found Oceania to be better for OUR tastes  than Crystal

& the  buffet  experience O was better  re the food handling  from Pax

The Terrace  buffet is open for dinner & no reservations required

Hope your friends will enjoy Oceania

Maybe  reserve Privee  for the special day  & ask for the birthday cake  Yummy

There is a fee for the room  but if you all chip in it is not too bad

Enjoy

This is a GREAT idea, thank you so much.

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

It costs $300 but the room and staff are yours for the night and the food selections are WONDERFUL.

I agree, this would be special.  Is it $300.00 per person?  Or for the room.  I am hearing different things.  

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

I agree, this would be special.  Is it $300.00 per person?  Or for the room.  I am hearing different things.  

Privee is per room

La Reserve  is a wine pairing dinner  & it is PP  

Like others who posted early in this thread, we started out only wanting port intensive cruises.  And then we found ourselves on some cruises with sea days and lo and behold we changed our minds.

We found the activities on board on sea days sufficient for us (without spending the day around the pool).  We like sitting on our veranda and reading or going to a lecture.  On sea days there will be more than there will be on port days, obviously.

We're all different!  So you might come around as we have ... or maybe you won't.  It's up to you what you want to do on a cruise.

Evening entertainment on Oceania cruises IS limited ... depending on what you want to see. We're classical music people so there have been evenings we loved, and sometimes evening where we walked out.  But we tend to dine late on board and so if the show doesn't intrigue us, we're just as happy to go back to our room.

Mura

11 hours ago, Mura said:

Like others who posted early in this thread, we started out only wanting port intensive cruises.  And then we found ourselves on some cruises with sea days and lo and behold we changed our minds.

We found the activities on board on sea days sufficient for us (without spending the day around the pool).  We like sitting on our veranda and reading or going to a lecture.  On sea days there will be more than there will be on port days, obviously.

We're all different!  So you might come around as we have ... or maybe you won't.  It's up to you what you want to do on a cruise.

Evening entertainment on Oceania cruises IS limited ... depending on what you want to see. We're classical music people so there have been evenings we loved, and sometimes evening where we walked out.  But we tend to dine late on board and so if the show doesn't intrigue us, we're just as happy to go back to our room.

Mura

@MuraWell written, clear and respectful.  Thank you for taking the time.  The older My wife and I get, the more having friends and family with us makes a big difference.  Something tells me that having our best friends with us will make this trip memorable.  Thank you again.

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@MEFIowa ...I just booked two (PH3) Penthouse Staterooms for the November 9, 2023 cruise you are on. ... Thank you and hope to see you then.

If you see a man with a goatee wearing a t-shirt with "Paraguay" blazing, either by the pool or disembarking/embarking for an excursion, that will be me. (I spent 2 weeks there in April 2022 and brought back a collection of t-shirts with Paraguayan logos and designs.) We're deck 7, B4 Veranda.  

26 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

If you see a man with a goatee wearing a t-shirt with "Paraguay" blazing, either by the pool or disembarking/embarking for an excursion, that will be me. (I spent 2 weeks there in April 2022 and brought back a collection of t-shirts with Paraguayan logos and designs.) We're deck 7, B4 Veranda.  

@MEFIowaIf you see a slightly portly man, with a un-lite cigar in his mouth, drinking a tequila, in a hot tub; that is me.  Hope to see you there.

25 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@MEFIowaIf you see a slightly portly man, with a un-lite cigar in his mouth, drinking a tequila, in a hot tub; that is me.

May depend on which "hot tub". With the B4 Veranda we don't have the access to the large therapy hot tub/mini-pool in the forward spa area. BUT if you ever light it, you may run into my wife (who smokes) and then you'll likely see me coming to bug her either on the pool deck area or near Horizons (the two smoking areas on Riviera).

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: Thank you every one for your feedback and excellent advice.  Because of you great folks, as I outlined earlier, I booked two (2) Penthouse Suite Guarantee's on the Oceania Rivera for November 9, 2023. Oceania had the "Category Upgrades" available as a Labor Day Perk for this cruise.  The other couple that I have the second suite for does not know I booked it.  It will be my friends wife's 70th Birthday.  He promised her a Greek Cruise but refused to book it until next year.  

I knew exactly what the issue was.  He could not afford the Deposit until next year.  Also, these folks do not understand the concept of planning ahead.  So I booked both the rooms, and paid for the deposits with my American Express.  This gives both suites the AMX Perks.  The best perk of all was to get a Penthouse at literally almost $4,000.00 less then just 20 days prior.  

I prebooked the pre-hotel in Athens so we all would get their at least a day early.  My friends will take the Coach Airfare that comes with the cruise booking.  I recommended they did not pay for the premium coach because that extra money could go for some excursions.  They are on a tight budget.  My wife and I have saved airline points for years to go on this trip in Delta One Business Class.  I will have to wait a few months to book that due to Delta's booking limitations. 

Like many people when they go on a new cruise brand, I have watched all the video's, read what I could here on CruiseCritic.com.  I can see from many of your comments that this cruise will be very special.  Thanks again.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I prebooked the pre-hotel in Athens so we all would get their at least a day early.  My friends will take the Coach Airfare that comes with the cruise booking.  I recommended they did not pay for the premium coach because that extra money could go for some excursions. 

Are they flying in the day of the cruise?

If they want to fly in early they must pay the deviation fee

I would pay the  extra  to arrive a day or so early  but then that adds up plus  a hotel is needed

If O offers PE on that flight  I would take it ..budget aside   ..it is not fun in coach at our age LOL

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Are they flying in the day of the cruise?

Your question is a GREAT question.  We were booked on Oceania for the same kind of cruise in 2020.  it got cancelled due to covid.  At the time, we had an argument when I suggested doing the pre-cruise hotel.  My friend who does not understand cruising said, I am purchasing the airfare from Oceania, they will hold the ship for us if our flight has issues.  I told him, they hold the ship for no one.  They will simply fly you to your next port and you will lose part of your vacation not to mention the stress involved. 

This time, I did not ask.  I just booked the Pre-Cruise Hotel.  I would assume because of that, Oceania will fly them in the day before since it is their airfare and there pre-cruise hotel.  Do I have that right??

52 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If O offers PE on that flight  I would take it ..budget aside   ..it is not fun in coach at our age LOL

I could not agree more.  It is always on the table.  Not my decision and I don't want to have another argument on extra's with them, LOL.  

You can lead a horse to water........

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

This time, I did not ask.  I just booked the Pre-Cruise Hotel.  I would assume because of that, Oceania will fly them in the day before since it is their airfare and there pre-cruise hotel.  Do I have that right??

OK misunderstood 

You did not say you booked O's hotel package   for them

they fly you in the day before -transfer to hotel then to the ship the next day

• Thanks 1

The Deviation Fee and Transfers to the Hotel and then to the Port Terminal are all included in your Oceania hotel option. You are most likely still paying a Premium but if you apply the $ cost to buying Peace of Mind, it can be worth it. 
We flew in to Athens from SFO last October for Riviera’s return to sailing and it was well worth the $150-200 for the Premium Economy so we could do the long haul flight to Europe and then the smaller plane hop to Athens. If people have any hip, knee, or other medical issues, it is a wise choice when Bus Class is not an option. 

You made a great decision with two PH’s on Riviera, you will enjoy it.  Your Butler will take good care of you, all you have to do is ask. Don’t waste one of your Premium Dining Reservations on Embarkation night, the Staff will be begging people to book one of the restaurants and it won’t apply to your Premium Allocation.  Of course in your PH, there really is nor limit when your Butler is stepping up on your behalf. 
Have a fantastic trip. My guess is the cruise itinerary after yours is the Transatlantic. We combined our Athens to Barcelona and the TA, it becomes a very cost effective FABULOUS VACATION. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The Deviation Fee and Transfers to the Hotel and then to the Port Terminal are all included in your Oceania hotel option. You are most likely still paying a Premium but if you apply the $ cost to buying Peace of Mind, it can be worth it. 
We flew in to Athens from SFO last October for Riviera’s return to sailing and it was well worth the $150-200 for the Premium Economy so we could do the long haul flight to Europe and then the smaller plane hop to Athens. If people have any hip, knee, or other medical issues, it is a wise choice when Bus Class is not an option. 

You made a great decision with two PH’s on Riviera, you will enjoy it.  Your Butler will take good care of you, all you have to do is ask. Don’t waste one of your Premium Dining Reservations on Embarkation night, the Staff will be begging people to book one of the restaurants and it won’t apply to your Premium Allocation.  Of course in your PH, there really is nor limit when your Butler is stepping up on your behalf. 
Have a fantastic trip. My guess is the cruise itinerary after yours is the Transatlantic. We combined our Athens to Barcelona and the TA, it becomes a very cost effective FABULOUS VACATION. 

Mauibabes

@mauibabesThank you for the great comments.  I have had butlers before.  Several on the NCL Haven Voyages.  One on a Celebrity cruise.  However, the butler I had on the crystal cruise was the best I have ever had.  He did make the voyage for us.  He listen to us and the next thing you knew was he was doing something special. The NCL and Celebrity Butlers were nice but not even close.  

Something tells me the Butlers on Oceania will be awesome as you suggested. I feel so fortune to have caught the Oceania upgrade promotion.  The only down side is it is over a year away.