Are Cunard contemplating going down the AI Saga route?

baw53

I have just completed a questionnaire I received via email  from Cunard , quite lengthy and detailed , some multiple choice questions others asking my opinion on various subjects.They  sought my opinions re children , dress code,  speciality restaurants, entertainment, drinks packages, gratuities , ports of call etc….I was able to make my point that I chose Cunard because it isn’t AI and did stress that was one of the main  reasons I have  decided to try Cunard for the first time this year. We sailed with Saga earlier this year and felt we were subsidising other passengers drinking habits.We don’t drink alcohol but had paid the same price for our cruise that those drinking copious amounts had.I could purchase Travel Insurance cheaper than the included Saga included  insurance and was therefore subsidising those who couldn’t get it cheaper elsewhere.We prefer to drive ourselves and therefor we subsidised others that use their private transfers…..we choose port parking and we have that with Cunard.We dislike coach driven excursion , much prefer to do our own thing and have always been content with MDR offerings on our previous cruises but joined friends occasionally in a speciality restaurant.We always pay gratuities so didn’t mind that aspect and will pay them willingly on our up and coming Cunard cruise.I have compared Cunard price with Saga price , similar itinerary,  cabin and deck and  (worked out per person per day) and the saving on this one cruise is easily enough to cover the cost of our  Norway cruise next year( Celebrity ‘ cruise  only’ fare….not ‘Always Included’ )……BOGOF indeed….we bought one and got  one free! ….we tried Saga as we wanted a Winter Sun holiday and there was very little choice on offer at the time as we didn’t want to take any chances re covid in an airport/aeroplane…..we took a chance as there were protocols in place and there were no covid cases on our cruise.One aspect we didn’t enjoy was that the Saga cruise had a ‘ care home ‘ feel to it….Will Cunard be different???

16 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

While I don't drink enough to warrant having alcohol included, I wish they would include all the soft drinks in the price the way Oceania does.

Maybe, your wish is just a good argument in favour of the OP's opinion, that  nothing additional should be included.

I for one basically never drink soft drinks. IMHO the world can live without this sugary, artifical stuff. Why should I be "susidizing other passengers drinking habits"? To quote the OP.

My point is, never will all passengers agree on what is a good idea to be included.

• Like 3

Those who eat and drink vast amounts, and use every included service will doubt sing its praises, but as you say, for those who don't they are paying for services and consumables not used themselves. Of course most who buy all inclusive services don't appreciate, that the business model relies exactly on the varying consumption by those who benefit to the maximum, plus those who pay but don't use anything, such that there remains a profit for the company involved. The same applies whether it is an all-inclusive holiday on land, or the 'all-you-can-eat' carvery deal at a restaurant.

All inclusive would add  the same "£X" to the price of Cunard across all grades. If X is say a bit more than drinks package, then  £50 pppn at minimum , then this will be a very big % increase for the cheapest Cunard cabins, which may mean they will go empty.  Where as for QG its a small increase. If Cunard cut the quality of the "all inclusive offering/drinks" to minimise the impact on cheapest prices, it would then be of little appeal to those who like good wine for example who would still have to  pay as you go on top of this. 

All inclusive only works for ships with a high minimium price , where they  can offer reasonable quality. Or at the opposite  booze cruise end. 

I for one don't like all inclusive,  as the wine is never good enough, not bad but not the real treat you want on holiday. On Saga for example  some excellent malt whisky and armangac included, but OK but not excellent wine.  As someone whose drink consists of  mainly wine at dinner (no alcohol before 6pm ) and at most a occasional single night cap, this didn't work in my favour. Had to buy wine on an all inclusive ship.

So I agree it's far better to pay as you go. Ships just need reasonable prices.

Edited by Windsurfboy

9 minutes ago, Craigrlewis said:

IMHO a corporate business will do what it wants and “massage” feedback figures given to justify their plan.

We diligently fill these in all the time as we don't want things like the dress code to change etc

Correct it will be " what the customer demands" which is the usual response for doing something that benefits Cunard.

• Like 1

It is of course possible to carry the a la carte a little too far.

For example, there is no reason that any meal needs to be included or afternoon tea or the shows.  Each item can be priced separately.  Actually, each entree, appetizer and desert can be priced individually like most restaurants.