Is Concierge Worth It

swjumbo

2 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

I guess it must depend on what ship your on then. 

I have heard that due to the arrival groups the concierge lunch is now a day later, do you know if that is right?

thanks

In the last 8 months I have been on three Celebrity ships, one as a back to back. So, four different embarkation days on three ships, Lauderdale, Vancouver and Reykjavik. Concierge lunch served on all. Like many aspects of cruising, this lunch perk for Concierge  was modified or missing for a while during start-up, but now it seems to be as it was before.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 2:29 AM, the penguins said:

The only reason to book it is if you are close to getting to the next  Captains Club grade e.g. from Elite to Elite+ and the extra points will get you there.

No, you book it because it is cheaper than a regular veranda.

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

No, you book it because it is cheaper than a regular veranda.

As I've posted before in my case it worked out to $10  CAD a day that works out to under 7 bucks US so quite a bargain and from what I read the balcony on this cabin is larger.  I'm pretty close to Elite plus.  

On 9/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, laslomas said:

It was held on embarkation day on my cruise in May. But last year, with low occupancy and strict COVID testing guidelines, and mask wearing, it was on a sea day and held on a different level in the MDR to the general MDR lunch.

Thanks that’s interesting, I’d like to know whether it will be on embarkation day on our next cruise, I guess I will wait and see.

16 hours ago, drakes2 said:

As I've posted before in my case it worked out to $10  CAD a day that works out to under 7 bucks US so quite a bargain and from what I read the balcony on this cabin is larger.  I'm pretty close to Elite plus.  

Cabin is definitely exactly the same size on Edge Class ships. What's more concerning is that many CC cabins are really in a bad location such as next to the magic carpet or on Deck 11 right under the nasty overhang/metal strobes.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:25 AM, letsgogogo said:

Hot breakfast is available via room service in all classes, including inside cabins. Higher cabin and suite levels have a larger and more upgraded menu but all have hot breakfast items…eggs, pancakes.

Apperantly there are many more options for CC breakfast:

Enhanced Room Service Breakfast Menu

You will have access to slightly-expanded breakfast options when using room service versus those traveling in cabins without balconies. This includes:

• More cooked-to-order egg options:
    • omelet (but with a very limited selection of add-ins)
    • fried eggs
    • poached eggs
    • boiled eggs
    • plus the scrambled eggs available to everyone
  • More meat options:
    • Canadian bacon
    • salami
    • Black Forest ham
    • Danish ham
    • plus the bacon, link sausage, breakfast ham, and corned beef hash available to everyone
  • More fruit options:
    • kiwi
    • pineapple
    • grapefruit
    • plus the honeydew, cantaloupe, and bananas available to everyone
  • More cereal options:
    • grits
    • oatmeal
    • granola berry parfait
    • plus the standard cold cereal brands like Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, Frosted Flakes, and Special K available to everyone
  • More bread and bakery options:
    • French bread
    • bran muffins
    • blueberry muffins
    • multi-grain toast
    • onion bagels
    • plus the danishes, plain bagel, whole wheat toast, rye toast, croissant, English muffin, and white toast available to everyone
  • More juice options:
    • V8 juice
    • grapefruit juice
    • tomato juice
    • prune juice
    • plus the orange juice, cranberry juice, and apple juice available to everyone
  • Pancakes:
    • buckwheat
    • blueberry
    • banana
    • plain
  • French toast
  • Smoothies:
    • strawberry
    • mixed fruit
    • blueberry-watermelon
    • Omega 3

4 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Apperantly there are many more options for CC breakfast:

For sure. But for me, someone is delivering me breakfast in bed…at no charge…I’m not going to quibble about whether I can get kiwi. This is where the “is it worth it” question really is so personal. 

3 minutes ago, letsgogogo said:

For sure. But for me, someone is delivering me breakfast in bed…at no charge…I’m not going to quibble about whether I can get kiwi. This is where the “is it worth it” question really is so personal. 

You don't understand.  French Toast for the Mr. is an absolute GAME CHANGER haha.

The verbiage is "You will have access to slightly-expanded breakfast options when using room service versus those traveling in cabins without balconies."  It means that rooms that are higher than inside and ocean view portholes windows, get this menu.  A regular balcony room gets this menu as well.

6 hours ago, Retired888 said:

The verbiage is "You will have access to slightly-expanded breakfast options when using room service versus those traveling in cabins without balconies."  It means that rooms that are higher than inside and ocean view portholes windows, get this menu.  A regular balcony room gets this menu as well.

If you are in a CC everyone gets the enhanced breakfast menu. I remember ordering eggs Benedict topped with smoked salmon and it arrived even with hollandaise sauce. So yummy.  Well you know the old saying 'if you don't ask you don't get.'  😆 

On 9/6/2022 at 12:28 AM, swjumbo said:

I’ve just done a Concierge Class cruise on Silhouette and didn’t think it was worth it.

The lunch on boarding was nice but not essential.

The ‘concierge’ was uncontactable.

The shower head was the same as a regular cabin.

The toiletries were the same.

The robes were the same.

The room service menu was the same. 

We had gold key cards and will hopefully get extra CC points. 

We got binoculars, an umbrella and a slightly larger balcony but that’s about it.

So in my view it’s not worth it.

It hasn’t put us off Celebrity though. 

Do others feel the same?

Our next cruise is in concierge class and mainly for 2 reasons. First, we are 29 points away from elite plus. CC is 5 points a night so that’s 35 points and puts us over into elite plus. Probably more importantly, we like aft balconies and the only way to get one at the last minute was in CC. So we paid a couple of hundred more to get a cabin in our preferred location. 

51 minutes ago, judatt said:

Our next cruise is in concierge class and mainly for 2 reasons. First, we are 29 points away from elite plus. CC is 5 points a night so that’s 35 points and puts us over into elite plus. Probably more importantly, we like aft balconies and the only way to get one at the last minute was in CC. So we paid a couple of hundred more to get a cabin in our preferred location. 

In your case it's worth it. I also booked a 10 night CC on the wake of the ship in total was an extra $100 canadian well worth it

Just Elite status but 50 extra points will get to Elite plus very soon.  My original cabin was a 2D balcony on deck 6 so now in CC on 10. 

12 minutes ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

Just did a concierge class that we got on a move up bid.  While we did enjoy the extra amenities, we probably wouldn't ever pay full retail for a concierge class room.  

I don't think anyone would thats why there are so many available shortly before sail date.  Twice I booked a balcony when CC dropped after final payment so switched.  On this upcoming cruise it was so cheap became a no brainer 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, swjumbo said:

I’ve just done a Concierge Class cruise on Silhouette and didn’t think it was worth it.

The lunch on boarding was nice but not essential.

The ‘concierge’ was uncontactable.

The shower head was the same as a regular cabin.

The toiletries were the same.

The robes were the same.

The room service menu was the same. 

We had gold key cards and will hopefully get extra CC points. 

We got binoculars, an umbrella and a slightly larger balcony but that’s about it.

So in my view it’s not worth it.

It hasn’t put us off Celebrity though. 

Do others feel the same?

Just off the Solstice in Alaska and here is my take on Concierge Class:

he lunch on boarding was meh in quality.  I feel we would have done better in the buffet.

The ‘concierge’ was uncontactable.  Ours was doing double duty.  Out of the three of them we only saw one manning the Captain's Club Desk.  We left a voice mail the second day and never got a response.

The shower head was the same as a regular cabin.  Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

The toiletries were the same. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

The robes were the same. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

The room service menu was the same. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

We had gold key cards and will hopefully get extra CC points. We also had gold keys and got 5 points per night.

We got binoculars, an umbrella and a slightly larger balcony but that’s about it.  Binoculars would bring my own more powerful, umbrella was good for one person, not sure about the balcony. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

One thing the OP failed to mention were the Canapes.  They were AWFUL!

Edited by ScottC4746
Forgot something.

10 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Just off the Solstice in Alaska and here is my take on Concierge Class:

he lunch on boarding was meh in quality.  I feel we would have done better in the buffet.

The ‘concierge’ was uncontactable.  Ours was doing double duty.  Out of the three of them we only saw one manning the Captain's Club Desk.  We left a voice mail the second day and never got a response.

The shower head was the same as a regular cabin.  Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

The toiletries were the same. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

The robes were the same. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

The room service menu was the same. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

We had gold key cards and will hopefully get extra CC points. We also had gold keys and got 5 points per night.

We got binoculars, an umbrella and a slightly larger balcony but that’s about it.  Binoculars would bring my own more powerful, umbrella was good for one person, not sure about the balcony. Don't know it was my first on Celebrity.

We got off the equinox last Thursday and saw our concierge 3 or 4 times daily as we have on previous cruises. Luck of the draw I guess.

11 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Yes the canapés were not great but not awful.  You do know that you can request something else in its place? We got fruit and also hummus and dip also small shrimp. I don't use the bathrobes so can't comment. 5 points per night helps to get to next level.  Don't need concierge services.  I like the better pillow menu and enhanced breakfast menu. 

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Yes the canapés were not great but not awful.  You do know that you can request something else in its place? We got fruit and also hummus and dip also small shrimp. I don't use the bathrobes so can't comment. 5 points per night helps to get to next level.  Don't need concierge services.  I like the better pillow menu and enhanced breakfast menu. 

I did not know I could get a substitute.  Good to know next time.

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

I like the short ribs they serve during the embarkation lunch.  I don't do buffets so this works for me.  I'll be hungry when I get onboard and the spa cafe just doesn't cut it.  I don't like the mast grill as burgers too greasy and they don't have all the toppings I use when I grill my burgers at home.  Yes I know I'm a picky eater but I'm a great cook. 😆 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I don't think anyone would thats why there are so many available shortly before sail date.  Twice I booked a balcony when CC dropped after final payment so switched.  On this upcoming cruise it was so cheap became a no brainer 

Not true.

I, and many others, book Concierge because that is the cabin we want, not only if it seems cheap. I like higher up. On M and S class ships, to go any higher than 8 (M) or 10 (S) you need to be in Aqua (up under the overhang, and stuck in Blu for restaurant besides) or in a suite of some sort. Besides location, the amenities are nice. If I were looking at a sailing without a decent Concierge cabin available, I would choose a different sailing rather than a Veranda or Aqua.

Stan

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Not true.

I, and many others, book Concierge because that is the cabin we want, not only if it seems cheap. I like higher up. On M and S class ships, to go any higher than 8 (M) or 10 (S) you need to be in Aqua (up under the overhang, and stuck in Blu for restaurant besides) or in a suite of some sort. Besides location, the amenities are nice. If I were looking at a sailing without a decent Concierge cabin available, I would choose a different sailing rather than a Veranda or Aqua.

Stan

Makes sense. I even like the bottle of bubbly sometimes they give me an extra and I order orange juice and make mimosas even managed to make an aperol spritzer.  I'm so excited to be able to sit on this balcony on the wake.  I read somewhere its actually a larger verandah. 

3 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Not true.

Stan

Us too Stan, our choice as it’s our money we’re spending. I said it earlier in the thread, we feel we get good value for our money from Concierge and if others think differently that’s fine, won’t change our minds.

13 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Us too Stan, our choice as it’s our money we’re spending. I said it earlier in the thread, we feel we get good value for our money from Concierge and if others think differently that’s fine, won’t change our minds.

It's good value if slightly more than a regular balcony in a preferred location.  I cruise solo often and pay a supplement to do so, have to be careful when  spending my cruise dollars since I can get an extra cruise out of the savings. That's my take on it. 

We got a concierge cabin through ‘Move Up’. We were not told the time of the embarkation lunch and nobody thought to check that we would be on board in time. Also Southampton was rammed when we arrived so by the time we got on board we’d missed lunch. There were no binoculars, umbrella or hairdryer in our cabin and we had to go down to the concierge office to get some. We were not offered sparkling wine or the pillow menu, and only realised that these should have been available when it was too late to have them. All in all, I’m glad we didn’t pay full price for the concierge cabin as I’d have been devastated. My husband said that what we did have was the most expensive cubes of cheese we’d ever had!