Newbie question

vegasjandk

We are new to Viking Ocean, but have done numerous cruises with other lines.  My question is related shore excursions.  We are booked on the Classic Panama Canal for December.  In looking at the shore excursions, I am a bit concerned about the suitability for DH, who has mobility issues.  He walks with a cane and may have trouble keeping up with a group.  We don't want to slow others down, but would like to participate when possible. Getting into and out of a small boat for some of the excursions might also be a challenge.  We'd be happy to DIY at some ports, esp. with others on our cruise.  As of now, there is little to no activity on our roll call.  We've been looking forward to cruising with Viking Ocean, but maybe this is not the best itinerary for us?  Payment is due in days, so any advice would be appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The included tours will have a separate group for people with mobility issues. For optional tours refer to the difficulty level in the tour description.

I believe this is true of river cruises, but I’m not aware of included tours on ocean that are for people with mobility issues. Seems like an oversight to me, given Viking’s target age group.

That said, many of the included excursions are essentially bus tours (“panoramic”) with a little walking here and there.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

My sister also has mobility issues and what we have found is if she takes a walking tour and can't go the distance...we find out where the meet up place is and wander to that taking it slow for her.  There have been times also that she has gotten off the bus and just wandered around close to the bus and let the others go ahead.   We have also found that having two trekking poles helps her to walk farther than without them.   As mentioned above, some of the tours are geared for people with mobility issues and is ver slow paced for them.   Go...have a great cruise and enjoy as the Panama canal cruise is well worth it.   You will love Viking.  

2 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

My sister also has mobility issues and what we have found is if she takes a walking tour and can't go the distance...we find out where the meet up place is and wander to that taking it slow for her.  There have been times also that she has gotten off the bus and just wandered around close to the bus and let the others go ahead.   We have also found that having two trekking poles helps her to walk farther than without them.   As mentioned above, some of the tours are geared for people with mobility issues and is ver slow paced for them.   Go...have a great cruise and enjoy as the Panama canal cruise is well worth it.   You will love Viking.  

We've been thinking about the trekking poles - thanks for that idea.  And thanks for the encouragement.

We left the Star a few weeks ago. “ Slow walker” groups were discussed in the daily port talks. We observed a slow group on one of our walking tours, and some of the folks were using hiking poles.  The guide did not go faster than the slowest in that group. They also did not go to all of the stops we did. It’s worth checking with Shore Ex desk onboard. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The included tours will have a separate group for people with mobility issues. For optional tours refer to the difficulty level in the tour description.

We have never known of a group for those slower folks on Ocean - only River.

4 hours ago, vegasjandk said:

We've been thinking about the trekking poles - thanks for that idea.  And thanks for the encouragement.

I have a few mobility issues as well, and started taking hiking poles on excursions when they are not necessary in getting around the ship.  They really do help considerably.  
The first set of poles I had were too.one for my suitcase, even collapsed all the way.  So they traveled in my backpack with the handles sticking out.  DH was afraid they’d get confiscated going through security some time, so we bought replacements that collapse much shorter.  
In my case, they help a lot more with balance, not just support.

My suggestion when you go shopping for them is to pay attention to the weight, the grips and the length they collapse to.  REI has a pretty good selection to try out before you buy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We have never known of a group for those slower folks on Ocean - only River.

Lorna -

Same here.  They had slower groups on our River Cruise in May.  However, I don't recall ever seeing separate slow group tours on the Ocean trips we've had this year.  Perhaps it varies cruise by cruise itinerary.

I do think it is a good idea however, since so many times, we've had those with mobility issues not really understanding their position and insisting the entire group slow down for them.  It is a tough situation for the guides to deal with.  Separating into 2 groups - a fast and a slow group - on Viking's part would really help everyone enjoy the excursions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

My suggestion when you go shopping for them is to pay attention to the weight, the grips and the length they collapse to.  REI has a pretty good selection to try out before you buy.

Good advice, especially the length they collapse to.  They have to fit in your luggage.

Also good advice about REI.  They have expetrs in store to help and they have a generous return policy.  If you don't have an REI near you, you can order online.

41 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Lorna -

Same here.  They had slower groups on our River Cruise in May.  However, I don't recall ever seeing separate slow group tours on the Ocean trips we've had this year.  Perhaps it varies cruise by cruise itinerary.

I do think it is a good idea however, since so many times, we've had those with mobility issues not really understanding their position and insisting the entire group slow down for them.  It is a tough situation for the guides to deal with.  Separating into 2 groups - a fast and a slow group - on Viking's part would really help everyone enjoy the excursions.

Agree about the Gentle walkers group.  On our last river cruise, one woman we were traveling with was slated for a new knee when we got home.  She and her husband went with that group instead of with us.  
As with others, I don’t remember there being a comparable group on ocean excursions.

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Agree about the Gentle walkers group.  On our last river cruise, one woman we were traveling with was slated for a new knee when we got home.  She and her husband went with that group instead of with us.  
As with others, I don’t remember there being a comparable group on ocean excursions.

This all seems to track with what I was told in the chat with Viking.  We certainly don't want to slow others down, so will inquire at the shore excursion desk when we get on board.  

And we'll check out the hiking poles at our local REI.

Any other newbie tips are appreciated!

10 hours ago, vegasjandk said:

This all seems to track with what I was told in the chat with Viking.  We certainly don't want to slow others down, so will inquire at the shore excursion desk when we get on board.  

And we'll check out the hiking poles at our local REI.

Any other newbie tips are appreciated!

We never took your scheduled cruise but have found that most Viking Ocean included and optional excursions are 1) a panoramic bus tour with 2-3 photo stops 2) a combination scenic bus ride to specific stops where you are given "x" amount of time to explore at your own pace and return to the bus 3) a more adventurous tour for hiking, kayaking, snorkeling and 4) a walking tour of 2-3 hours.  All tours are described and will give level of difficulty and time duration.  I am sure if you read the descriptions closely you will find suitable excursions.  The pure walking/standing ones are the most difficult but even on those you can stop halfway through and take a taxi back to the ship or leave the group and walk back at your own pace.  Just tell the guide that you are leaving the group.  

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

We never took your scheduled cruise but have found that most Viking Ocean included and optional excursions are 1) a panoramic bus tour with 2-3 photo stops 2) a combination scenic bus ride to specific stops where you are given "x" amount of time to explore at your own pace and return to the bus 3) a more adventurous tour for hiking, kayaking, snorkeling and 4) a walking tour of 2-3 hours.  All tours are described and will give level of difficulty and time duration.  I am sure if you read the descriptions closely you will find suitable excursions.  The pure walking/standing ones are the most difficult but even on those you can stop halfway through and take a taxi back to the ship or leave the group and walk back at your own pace.  Just tell the guide that you are leaving the group.  

Thanks for the detailed info.  I do think we will find an appropriate excursion.

We went to the excursions desk as soon as we could on our Ocean cruise in January. They helped us change any excursions we had signed up for that was not suitable for my DH. They have much more detail and can help you decide.  They also put us in a group with others with mobility issues. This was the first time we had experienced Viking Ocean making an effort to make it easier for those with mobility issues to participate without slowing down others on the tour. Hopefully this will continue but you should notify them as soon as you board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegasjandk said:

Thanks for the detailed info.  I do think we will find an appropriate excursion.

We are on the Classic Panama cruise in December.

I do suggest that you visit the excursion desk on the ship when you board and ask them specifically about whether there are any excursion groups designed for those less mobile.   For this particular cruise they might have.  I've already examined all the excursions in our MyVikingJourney.  There appear to be some that are just bus rides and some that look like some more difficult walking and standing that might not work as well.  But confirming with Viking will be your best bet!  They will be very helpful.  You may even try giving them a call ahead of time.  Hoping you enjoy the cruise!

18 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I have a few mobility issues as well, and started taking hiking poles on excursions when they are not necessary in getting around the ship.  They really do help considerably.  
The first set of poles I had were too.one for my suitcase, even collapsed all the way.  So they traveled in my backpack with the handles sticking out.  DH was afraid they’d get confiscated going through security some time, so we bought replacements that collapse much shorter.  
In my case, they help a lot more with balance, not just support.

REI is where my sister and I got ours.  (I have some balance issues) Mine will collapse enough to fit in my suitcase and really help especially on uneven terrain.  Mine are very light weight (5 oz. each) yet strong when I am using them and they extend in two places and I only extend in one and I am 5'9".  Hope this helps you decide.  We found on the Sea that they offered a "slow" group for people who could not walk fast.   I think if you ask, they will be more than accommodating for you.  

On 9/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, CCWineLover said:

We are on the Classic Panama cruise in December.

I do suggest that you visit the excursion desk on the ship when you board and ask them specifically about whether there are any excursion groups designed for those less mobile.   For this particular cruise they might have.  I've already examined all the excursions in our MyVikingJourney.  There appear to be some that are just bus rides and some that look like some more difficult walking and standing that might not work as well.  But confirming with Viking will be your best bet!  They will be very helpful.  You may even try giving them a call ahead of time.  Hoping you enjoy the cruise!

We checked the excursions too, and will follow up with Viking.  DH bought a pair of trekking poles at REI today.  He thinks they will be very helpful.

CCWineLover:  We love Paso wines, too!  Which of the December cruises will you be on?