Rose's sweet lime juice

Cruisedreamer1

17 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Do the Regatta bars have Rose's sweeten lime juice? A gin and tonic without it is blah. Also what kind of tonic is offered? Thanks.

If you’re unhappy with the G&Ts you’ve been served in the past, you may want to change whatever gin you specify (if any) and stick with fresh squeezed lime juice plus Fever Tree Tonic.

FWIW, O’s Martini’s Bars now have Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin. Try it. Of course, they also have old standards like Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks (though, with Hendricks, you may want to swap out the lime and try cucumber - which is a better compliment to its flavor profile.

Related to this: Though not easy to find in the US, there are other excellent Irish gins - each very distinctive in flavor. My favorite is Dingle (with the added bonus that it’s relatively inexpensive - though very hard to find).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Thanks for the help. I, on past O cruises just asked for a drink without specifying  brand or what else and was always disappointed in the quality of the drink. Now I know to be more discriminating.

Yes ask for the brand of Gin  (spirit) you like

DH did not care for Hendricks/cucumber  

😉

6 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Thanks for the help. I, on past O cruises just asked for a drink without specifying  brand or what else and was always disappointed in the quality of the drink. Now I know to be more discriminating.

The size of the drink is also disappointing. The martinis are the itsy-bitsiest little drinks I ever saw.

2 hours ago, ejohansen341970 said:

Rose's is the MOST important ingredient in any gimlet IMHO

While Rose’s was popular many many (did I remember to say many?) years ago, no self respecting bartender would use it today.Fresh line with a little simple syrup is widely preferred now.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/gimlet/

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While Rose’s was popular many many (did I remember to say many?) years ago, no self respecting bartender would use it today.Fresh line with a little simple syrup is widely preferred now.

Yeah, simple syrup sounds so cool, but it's just sugar water.  Hummingbirds love it. 

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

remember to say many?) years ago, no self respecting bartender would use it today.Fresh line with a little simple syrup is widely preferred now.

Roses lime juice - Water, Lime Juice from Concentrate (5%), Sugar, Citric Acid, Flavourings, Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Colours (Carotenes, Green S).

I’ll stick to the more natural product

I prefer a less sweet G & T, in fact Fever Tree tonic tastes much less sweet than Schweppes.
Now my preferred drink is 2 ounce Grey Goose, 1 can Fever Tree, squeeze of lemon and a squeeze of lime

What is green S? Green S is a green synthetic coal tar triarylmethane dye

Edited by Robjame

1 minute ago, Robjame said:

I prefer a less sweet G & T, in fact Fever Tree tonic tastes much less sweet than Schweppes.

Now my preferred drink is 2 ounce Grey Goose, 1 can Fever Tree, squeeze of lemon and a squeeze of lime

I thought Grey Goose  was vodka ?? 

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Grey Goose  was vodka

Yes it is - I have been unable to find a name for that cocktail though it is very popular - only G&T with vodka

I guess vodka tonic is more correct

Edited by Robjame

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

DH  likes Tangueray Rangpur gin with tonic   less sweet than some drinks

My first alcohol was at 16 years of age splitting a bottle of lemon gin straight at Mosport .. . . Have never been able to stand gin, or the smell of gin, since. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Robjame said:

My first alcohol was at 16 years of age splitting a bottle of lemon gin straight at Mosport .. . . Have never been able to stand gin, or the smell of gin, since. 

ahh Mosport  the good old days 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Duh! What do you think is used to make Rose’s?

Duh. yourself. So, you use the same ingredients as a non-self-respecting bartender, but just want to name them individually.   That's not how one gains self-respect, it's just pedantic. 

11 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

....the same ingredients as a non-self-respecting bartender, but just want to name them individually.....

Pay attention to the actual/significant difference:

See Robjame’s above post listing ALL the ingredients in Rose’s:

Roses lime juice - Water, Lime Juice from Concentrate (5%), Sugar, Citric Acid, Flavourings, Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Colours (Carotenes, Green S)
What is green S? Green S is a green synthetic coal tar triarylmethane dye.

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I prefer Roses as it has just enough sweetness for the gimlet, which I like on the rocks.  The drink is old school and was introduced to me by my dad who has one every day.  It's how we like it.  Have had the new version with fresh lime and it is a completely different taste and not to my liking.  I also like to drink vodka and soda with just a splash (less than a teaspoon) of Rose's, very refreshing and not nearly as strong as a Gimlet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ejohansen341970 said:

I prefer Roses as it has just enough sweetness for the gimlet, which I like on the rocks.  The drink is old school and was introduced to me by my dad who has one every day.  It's how we like it.  Have had the new version with fresh lime and it is a completely different taste and not to my liking.  I also like to drink vodka and soda with just a splash (less than a teaspoon) of Rose's, very refreshing and not nearly as strong as a Gimlet.

I had forgotten all about gimlets until this subject came up. I agree with you that Rose's just has a particular flavor that makes a gimlet a gimlet. Of course, fresh lime juice definitely has its place (I'm looking at you Margarita). A gimlet was the very first cocktail I ever had at the ripe old age of 18 at Simpson's in London. Purchased for me by my teetotaler father. Completely out of character for him. Good times!

• Like 3